Give Up Dairy?!

Options
I follow Sarah Bowmar on IG. She recently posted how awesome it was not to have give up bread in order to meet her goals. I just left her comment saying how I had lost weight w/out giving anything up/moderation...basically agreeing w/ her. She responded back w/: "It's not about moderation. It's about your HEALTH. If you are interested in being the healthiest person and not the thinnest, you would consider giving up dairy"... WTH?!
Okay, so before I stop following her... any thoughts?

Replies

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hells to the NO. Not giving up my yogurt! If you're not lactose intolerant, why would you have to give up dairy? I've honestly never understood that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    she's wack-a-doo

stop following her.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @debsdoingthis RIGHT?! Seriously I thought she was legit... now I don't want to follow her! Honestly I don't even consume much dairy. I drink Almond Milk (maybe once a week) and eat Greek Yogurt (approximately 3 times a week) and the occasional ice cream treat, but the fact that she's telling me to give something up, after speaking about moderation just soured me on her.
    Perhaps I just misunderstood what she was trying to say? IDK...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    What if you "consider" giving it up but don't? Or do? Does "considering" it make any difference?

She's a goof.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I considered it and I decided "NO"... hahahahahaha!
    I responded w/ "Well, other than my greek yogurt and the occasional ice cream...I don't consume much dairy, so I think I'm good...but thank you". Short and sweet. But even if I did eat more of it, I still wouldn't give it up because she says so. I just don't eat much of it because calorie-wise it doesn't fit in my day.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to stop following her but I wanted to give her a chance. I thought I'd ask you all, my MFP Peeps, in case I was making a harsh judgement. But so far we are all on the same page!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I see no need to give up anything that you aren't intolerant/allergic to. I agree with you, it's all about moderation. Dairy is a great source of protein and calcium. Of course, I don't think we need to drink a gallon of milk a day (well, unless someone is seriously trying to bulk, although I would still look for other sources!) but I see no legitimate reason to give it up.

Whether you unfollow her or not boils down to if you can live with/be inspired by most of what you see, or if her random comments about things that you can't agree with or will bother you are going to be more annoying :smile:
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I found that comment annoying enough to be come uninspired by her, so...unfollow.
    I get annoyed easily though, hahahahahaha! Don't ever get on my bad side, I will hold a grudge like you wouldn't believe. :s
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    What is life without cheese? I don't know of this chick, but she's silly.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh wow! I forgot about cheese! I eat cheese too! Especially when it comes on pizza! ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I follow Sarah Bowmar on IG. She recently posted how awesome it was not to have give up bread in order to meet her goals. I just left her comment saying how I had lost weight w/out giving anything up/moderation...basically agreeing w/ her. She responded back w/: "It's not about moderation. It's about your HEALTH. If you are interested in being the healthiest person and not the thinnest, you would consider giving up dairy"... WTH?!
    Okay, so before I stop following her... any thoughts?

I'd never heard of her, but found this: http://citymomloves.com/sarah-bowmar-plan/

Based on this, I'd say keep following her if seeing her workouts inspires you, but ignore what she has to say on nutrition--there's no reason to think she knows anything.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see the follow up post. That works too!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    @lemurcat12 Oh, thanks for that! Interesting info. But yeah, she killed it for me w/ her comment. I'm done! I'm sure she wont miss me though...
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    OMG I was looing at the comments/reviews on her page and saw this one: "I purchased her plan and it was horrible! I asked for a dairy free plan and she sold me on protein bars that were not dairy free. She just replied with “get another bar then”. I was at 1100 calories also and I’m 5’10!!! I got so sick and it was horrible and a waste of money. She is very rude to anyone who disagrees with her opinion or even questions it. I’m glad people are finally catching on !"

The review was written on June 9th of this year... so not that long ago.
    I thought she thought dairy was bad?

I guess I should stop now... I probably could get in trouble for posting this stuff... I don't want to do that (get in trouble, I mean)
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah...another one on IG screaming about "health" and how you should cut out major food groups. Oh, but let's not forget that filling your body with supplements can really help you if you hit a wall or a plateau.

She's silly.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Went back and read some more, and all her reviews are pretty much bad! So glad I just followed her and didn't buy into one of her plans! I feel sorry for the people who do!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    @jenmckane86 RIGHT?!?!