A confidence builder... practice for eating "out of the house"...

Options
Lately I have not kept things I have trouble eating in sufficiently small qualities around the house at all. I'm thinking I might want to keep a very high quality chocolate bar in the freezer and have one square a day until it is done as a way to prove to myself that I can master quantity the way I feel I have with food quality.

Also, this can teach me to savor good things.

This give anyone any ideas?

Come to think of it, each one of those chocolate squares is kind of like a practice for being in a party with bread, cheese, nuts, etc. and I'm going to want to be able to take a small amount and savor it and feel comfortable and confident with quantities that keep my on my plan. As I think of it, this idea is seeming more important than it did at first...

Suggestions?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »
    Lately I have not kept things I have trouble eating in sufficiently small qualities around the house at all. I'm thinking I might want to keep a very high quality chocolate bar in the freezer and have one square a day until it is done as a way to prove to myself that I can master quantity the way I feel I have with food quality.

Also, this can teach me to savor good things.

This give anyone any ideas?

Come to think of it, each one of those chocolate squares is kind of like a practice for being in a party with bread, cheese, nuts, etc. and I'm going to want to be able to take a small amount and savor it and feel comfortable and confident with quantities that keep my on my plan. As I think of it, this idea is seeming more important than it did at first...

Suggestions?

Moderation is key. I make sure I have my treats every day. I like having a candy bar in the freezer.

I am also working on moderation at events outside of the house. Baby steps is the answer, and not beating myself up when I eat too much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's worth a try. I can keep a batch of Nigella's unbelievable triple chocolate cookies in the freezer and have one periodically. However, I can't stop at one portion of peanut pretzels, so I won't buy those again for at least a few months.

I have a problem not completing chocolate bars, but I can weigh out a portion of Ghiradelli chocolate chips and stop at one 70 calorie serving.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 Do you eat the cookie and kind of "practice" enjoying just one?

Since moderation is such a challenge for me, I'm thinking I can focus on being/staying grateful that I can enjoy the one chocolate square without any negative effects.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My sister came to visit in January and brought me some of my favorite chocolates... the box didn't last a day.

A week later I bought a lot of chocolate bars on sale (the kind I really like, obviously). Knowing that I can have some anytime I want, it's actually been easier to learn moderation and limit myself to one square... I take my time and savor it and it's actually enough. When my mom brought me back the same chocolates 3 months later, I barely touched them... I think my husband finished them last week... and now it's a miracle if I eat one square twice a week, lol. I barely touch those chocolate bars anymore.

Definitely worked for me.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My sister came to visit in January and brought me some of my favorite chocolates... the box didn't last a day.

A week later I bought a lot of chocolate bars on sale (the kind I really like, obviously). Knowing that I can have some anytime I want, it's actually been easier to learn moderation and limit myself to one square... I take my time and savor it and it's actually enough. When my mom brought me back the same chocolates 3 months later, I barely touched them... I think my husband finished them last week... and now it's a miracle if I eat one square twice a week, lol. I barely touch those chocolate bars anymore.

Definitely worked for me.

Well, now I really want to try it!

Thanks!