How to schedule workouts with a work schedule?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    8 hours work, 8 hours sleep, and I'll assume 2 hours total of travel time to and from work.

That's 18 hours. You have 6 hours to work something in at least 3x a week. And this doesn't include you doing at least one workout on the weekend.

Not sure why it's a struggle unless we're all missing something. MFP plot twist?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If you do not want to work out in the morning, but are afraid you won't want to do it after work, just build it into your work day. Either hit the gym on the way home or take your clothes to work with you and hit the running trails, park, etc. Don't give yourself the opportunity to go home and talk yourself out of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    before work/after work...i've been known to do both in a single day.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    This is too hard...

i-was-told-there-would-be-no-math.jpg

FWIW, I work out over my lunch hour
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    In the morning.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    There's got to be a trick to this question, right?

24 hrs - 8 working hours - x commuting hours - x sleeping hours = available time for exercise and other activities.

AKA being an adult and figuring your *kitten* out.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,707 Member
    Options
    I work 9:00 - 18:30 and workout before dinner Hubby preps dinner during the week. If he is otherwise engaged I order a takeaway at one of the restaurants I walk past on the way to the gym for pick up an hour later when I am done.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    before work/after work...i've been known to do both in a single day.

Preposterous.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I weep for your generation.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I work 8am-3:30pm, have two children and a significant other that all rely on me to do things like grocery shopping and prep/cook dinner most nights. When I begin going to the gym again in like 6-8 weeks I will be going after work and shall plan meals accordingly. So I'll toss dinner in the crockpot or do simple soups and sandwiches on days I plan on going to the gym. Oh and my children both do gymnastics as well and will be moving up soon making classes longer and more frequent. And my other half will be going to college as soon as he gets the paperwork stuff out of the way.

If I can manage to juggle an entire household worth of schedules and find time to get to the gym on the other end of town 3 times a week, I think you can manage when it's just you and your schedule to worry about.

Oh to be young. :neutral:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you want it that bad you'll make time. That's all there is too it.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    you have to figure out whats best for you weather it be morning or after you get home from work. My wife deals with a 2 and 5 yr old and no matter what she gets her workout in..if you really want it nothing will stop you.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Yup. Full time shift work, two amazing girls, and idiot of an ex, and I still easily make time for my training. It's important to me so I make it work.
  • lbrodnax83
    lbrodnax83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work 8-5 and hit the gym straight after work. I may not get home till late, but it CAN be done.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    So i just got a job at an inbound call center it's a large environment where it's fast pace. I will be sitting at a desk taking calls from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and possibly working on the weekends. How do i schedule workout's in? I do Body beast and P90x and have been self-employed for the last 18 months but how do i schedule them? Because i know the last thing i will want to do when i get home is look at my workout set and workout for 45 minutes. Any advice?

You do it anyway. And you keep doing it until it's habit and part of your routine. Exercise before work, after work, whatever. You're training at home, so it's even easier. I would love to work 9-5pm - I could get to gym twice a day! Lay out your gym clothes, don't talk yourself out of it, just do it.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Monday - Friday, I get up at 5:45am and leave for work between 6:45 and 7am. I then work until 5:30/6:45 and do one of the following (with 1 day off):

Run 2 miles and 1 hour Body Pump (x2)
    Run 3 miles and 45 mins of spin (x1)
    Run - My long runs are around 7-9 miles at the moment (x1)

I am normally then home between 8 and 8:30pm where I eat dinner, have 30 mins chilled out in front of the TV, then off to bed between 9:30 and 10pm

Then at the weekend, I do 1 more Body Pump, 1 more spin session, a 13 mile bike ride and an hour horse-ride alongside all my HH chores, grocery shopping, seeing family and cooking.

You can most certainly fit it in!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I work from 7:00am until 4:30pm, so I'm up at around 6:00am. I work from home, but even the temptation of not working out is still there. I like to work out in the evening straight after work. I workout at home, so I have my weights and dumbbells in places where I would be able to see them (call it organised chaos, if you want to lol). After that, I'll cook or visit my boyfriend.

It can be done! Have your workout clothes laid out the night before. It needs to become a habit for you.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Unless you live 3 hours from work and have a seriously long commute, I would think your best bet is in the mornings. In all seriousness, I used to have co-workers in my company's Philippines office who had 3 hour commutes to get to work, so I feel for people who have these challenges. But if you don't, then there should be no issue for your situation.
  • thetrickstergib
    thetrickstergib Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work 9-18 with an 45mins drive each way to work. I've factored in more 'travel' time each day and on alternative days I either cycle or run, its not far 4-5km depending on where I park (but its something!) - you have to get to work, so why not incorporate some exercise in it? And twice a week I go do 30mins in the local gym at lunchtime (+ 10mins each way).

Its easy to think of excuses you have no time etc- but like others say, once you get into a routine, its quite easy.

If its a big corporation, they might have a gym onsite??
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yup. Full time shift work, two amazing girls, and idiot of an ex, and I still easily make time for my training. It's important to me so I make it work.

Yup again. I work 8-5 and I want to work out with my wife and we have 3 young kids. She has a hard time getting up in the morning and staying up as late as I do, so we work out at night 3 times per week. Typically start either at 7 or 8PM. That gives me ~2-3 hours before working out, and 1-2 hour afterwards to do whatever else it is that I want to do.