To Juice or Not To Juice?

Options
THAT is the question!

But seriously, are there actual health benefits to juicing? I've gotten mixed reviews...

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you like juice, there's nothing wrong with having a glass or two a day.

But like any other food/drink, the calories and macros it contains must be accounted for.

It isn't any more "magical" with regards to weight or body composition management than any other food/drink though.
  • BeckFair
    BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but it seems to me you would be better off to just eat the food. Juice is more calorie dense and contains less fiber.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    If you like juice, there's nothing wrong with having a glass or two a day.

But like any other food/drink, the calories and macros it contains must be accounted for.

It isn't any more "magical" with regards to weight or body composition management than any other food/drink though.

+1

I much prefer to eat my calories. Juices can be pretty calorific, and unless it's beer, I'm reluctant to give up 150-200 calories a day for a beverage.

There is nothing special about juicing. It's just the current trendy "healthy" thing to do.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to eat my calories, too. The whole package is much more satisfying than juice.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't do stupid crap that the juicing movies say where you just juice all day every day for x amount of days, those movies are just elaborate juicer commercials.

If you don't like to eat your veggies and you LIKE juicing its an excellent way to get veggies in your diet in a way you enjoy. This is what I do, I like kale (about 80g) with some parsley with about half a cup of apple juice and some lemon juice and water and its a juice i really enjoy thats about 100 calories. (I also like spinach in place of kale sometimes but same recipe). However, I really don't like cooked vegetables and while I don't' hate salads they are not my favorite thing in the world. I do however enjoy green juice so I incorporate it into my calories for the day.

Just eat veggies in a way you enjoy them, juice is just another way to serve a vegetable.

Weight loss is calories in calories out so you just have to measure and record everything you put in your mouth.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    There's no benefit to it in regards to weight loss. Some people find it helps them get better nutrition, which is good, but you still have to account for those calories like you would eating. I prefer to eat my calories since it makes me feel fuller, and some people are cool with drinking them. As long as you get the calories and nutrition you need, do whichever you like better.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    There is no inherent benefit to weight loss from juicing. In fact it can make it easier to go over on your calories by adding higher calorie items to the blend, and the juice extracted is not as filling as the whole product.

Also consider that many juicers extract and discard the insoluble fiber, which has it's own benefits.

• FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I understand that it is all CICO. I was just trying to figure out if there was any value to juicing as opposed to eating it.

I do have a difficult time getting the recommended servings of veggies because I don't seem to like them that much, juicing makes it easier for me because I can just gulp it down and move on with my life.

I got stuck in a Netflix loop of Food Matters, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead 1 & 2, and one other one that I can't remember, and they each said that juicing allows your body to absorb the nutrients more efficiently and is good to do for a short period of time to kickstart weight loss, so I was just trying to figure out if that was valid or not.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »
    I got stuck in a Netflix loop of Food Matters, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead 1 & 2, and one other one that I can't remember, and they each said that juicing allows your body to absorb the nutrients more efficiently and is good to do for a short period of time to kickstart weight loss, so I was just trying to figure out if that was valid or not.

May not hold true 100% of the time, but generally speaking I would NEVER get nutrition/fitness advice from documentaries/Netflix.

That approach hasn't failed me yet...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I understand that it is all CICO. I was just trying to figure out if there was any value to juicing as opposed to eating it.

No. You're essentially drinking sugar water, with some vitamins. If you have a hard time getting enough fruits and veggies, maybe add a smoothie to your day instead. Juicing removes all of the fiber. If you use a Nutribullet or a blender or something, you're getting the whole fruit and/or vegetable. It's not better or worse for you than eating them, unless you simply prefer smoothies to chewing food. It won't help with weight loss unless it helps you create a deficit.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No,not really. If you remove the fiber, it's actually less healthy than just eating the fruit.

Although a day of juicing will probably do no long-lasting harm, it won't really do you any good, either. There is no real purpose.

Some people feel it's a great way to begin a diet. If you want to do it, have fun. But don't do it because you believe there is some actual, physical benefit.

I urge you visit your doctor, as everyone who begins a weight loss plan should do, and find out what the right way to go about dieting will be, for you. Don't get your health guidance from movies or the internet. Get it from someone who is qualified to give it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I do have a difficult time getting the recommended servings of veggies because I don't seem to like them that much, juicing makes it easier for me because I can just gulp it down and move on with my life.

If it's a way for you to add veggies, sure, go for it. But you miss out on the fiber. Also, even though it's vegetables, it becomes quite highly concentrated and quickly digestible carbs. If you have any issues with blood sugar spikes, it might not be a good idea to not include the fiber from the whole vegetable.

You don't need to kickstart anything. Just start eating at a deficit right now.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Those documentaries unfortunately used a lot of half-truths to promote an agenda, contrary information that didn't fit their narrative was downplayed or omitted.

Weight loss doesn't need to be kickstarted, your body is not a moped. The only requirement is a calorie deficit, aka CICO.

As far as allowing your body to absorb nutrients more efficiently, all the juicer is doing is "pre-chewing" the vegetables for you. Your body does just as good a job getting nutrients out of vegetables, all the juice does is get absorbed more quickly in the stomach and intestine.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies maybe once or twice a week that are really "salad in a blender" because I like them and because they're a convenient way to get all my veggies in if I'm travelling or if I've got back to back meetings and won't be able to sit down and eat. But I don't remove any of the skins or pulp like a juicing machine will.

For example, today's smoothie was 1 whole kiwi (fuzzy skin and all) , 80g baby carrots, 100g celery, and 140g of skins off of an acorn squash plus some water kefir, a squirt of lemon juice and a tbsp of stevia. Sometimes I'll add a tbsp of yogurt to change the texture, but usually not.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I did the Juice Master 7 day programme a couple of years ago. I lost a lot of weight because it's basically a very restricted calorie diet. I also felt like *kitten* for the whole week. Needless to say I would not recommend it. If I come anywhere near spirulina I still have a desire to hurt something!
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    And this is why I love the MFP community, everybody has had experience with things and can warn me against the bad ideas I get stuck in my head!

I appreciate all of the feedback, I have a Ninja system and a juicer, so I think I'm going to mess around with different smoothie recipes to make sure I can get more veggies in but my desire to possibly do an entire juice detox/fast has been zapped back to reality <3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    juicing is just an easy and convenient way of getting in vitamins and minerals...i would basically treat it the same as my protein supplement. I don't juice...don't have the time or inclination...but I do drink a low sodium V8 pretty much every morning with breakfast.

I would never juice as a meal replacement or anything like that...I view it as dietary supplementation.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    THAT is the question!

But seriously, are there actual health benefits to juicing? I've gotten mixed reviews...

I occasionally like homemade juice with breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack, because they taste good. That's the only benefit in my book.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No,not really. If you remove the fiber, it's actually less healthy than just eating the fruit.

Although a day of juicing will probably do no long-lasting harm, it won't really do you any good, either. There is no real purpose.

Some people feel it's a great way to begin a diet. If you want to do it, have fun. But don't do it because you believe there is some actual, physical benefit.

I urge you visit your doctor, as everyone who begins a weight loss plan should do, and find out what the right way to go about dieting will be, for you. Don't get your health guidance from movies or the internet. Get it from someone who is qualified to give it.
    Is recommending someone see a doctor health advice? :)