People not recognizing me

Options
I've lost 60 pounds since January, which is a lot on my 5'2" frame. This week I ran into two different people who I haven't seen for several months who didn't recognize me. At first I didn't understand why the conversation felt so strange until they said something about my weight. Have others had this experience? How did you handle it? I felt really awkward!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It happened to me and I didn't get why she didn't recognize me. I was like, "Michelle! It's me, Kali, I worked with you for six -" and noticed she was looking me up and down, then I got cut off with an "OH, MY GOD!"

It's kind of embarrassing, actually. I was so fat that people can't recognize me three years later.

So, then hugs and weight loss talk and normal catching up. So many women love to talk weight loss, so it's fun. But it's always the same questions. I could print up business cards:

No, no special diet.
    Yes, I eat healthy.
    No, I don't eat at night.
    Yes, I exercise.
    Swimming, mostly.

I guess it's good...but it's also a little embarrassing.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats on the weight loss! That does sound awkward. I haven't lost enough weight to encounter that, but I'm sure I would be just as uncomfortable. However, try to think of it as a compliment. You've done an amazing job losing the weight, so let people be surprised.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Awkward how?

And yes, congrats on the weight loss!
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sort of....About 6 years ago I lost 30 pounds (I'm also petite) and people recognized me, but it was more like OMG! That felt great, but unfortunately I put it all back on over the years and am taking it off again!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    When one loses or gains weight, it isn't just the shape of their bodies; that change. Their faces do as well, then if that same person were to style their hair differently & wear/not wear cosmetics. Also when people gain or lose weight, so does their style of clothing. A different type of style, that conforms to a new body shape; might not be recognizable even with a previous face because someone never believed that, they'd be able to or choose to; dress their current way.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! ^_^ As for your question, I've found it's mostly people I haven't seen a while that notice I've lost weight. Notably, my mom, since I only see her once or twice a year. It is odd and can be a little awkward, but it's also gratifying. It's kinda nice when others notice the hard work I've put into it.
  • ejb060793
    ejb060793 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to make sure some people cannot recognize me.. =/ I saw my husband's cousin the other day and she was like "hey I know you!" and all I could think was "I wish that weren't true".
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Awkward how?

And yes, congrats on the weight loss!

Awkward because I didn't realize they didn't recognize me and just talking as normal but they were looking at me kind of funny! Then they realized who they were talking to and commented on how much weight I've lost. I just wasn't aware that that would happen!

Thanks for all the congrats! It does feel good to have lost the weight and have people notice but not something I had expected!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    When one loses or gains weight, it isn't just the shape of their bodies; that change. Their faces do as well, then if that same person were to style their hair differently & wear/not wear cosmetics. Also when people gain or lose weight, so does their style of clothing. A different type of style, that conforms to a new body shape; might not be recognizable even with a previous face because someone never believed that, they'd be able to or choose to; dress their current way.

^^This!!! My style of clothing thirty pounds ago was basically "nouveau homeless man" (even though I am a woman, hah!). I wore pants and an oversized shirt so that my bulges wouldn't show. I still have 30 pounds to go, but I'm enjoying wearing clothes that actually compliment me. One of my clients asked me why I was suddenly dressing up! Since I go to their office a couple of times a week, they didn't notice the weight loss. I also didn't wear makeup and wore my glasses most of the time because what's the point of bothering with makeup and contact lenses? But now I bother!
  • lbrodnax83
    lbrodnax83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been there done that! Posted a picture on my FB acct and had people thinking I got hacked :/ Sometimes a good feeling- other times not so much....lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've lost 60 pounds since January, which is a lot on my 5'2" frame. This week I ran into two different people who I haven't seen for several months who didn't recognize me. At first I didn't understand why the conversation felt so strange until they said something about my weight. Have others had this experience? How did you handle it? I felt really awkward!

Yep. People tell me I look like a different person. I tell them I'm the same me inside.

Personally, it makes my day.