Just started weight lifting: Any solutions for weak grip strength?

Options
2»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    All good suggestions. You might also want to check out Therapy Putty. Here is a sample: http://www.amazon.com/Therapy-Putty-Resistive-Theraputty-strengths/dp/B001ANL5BY/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1440549875&sr=8-1&keywords=therapy+putty

You can get various strengths and squeeze it in your hands while sitting around, etc.

This is my recommendation too.

If you continue to have problems, look into seeing a physical therapist.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I thought I had a grip problem but what it really was…was sweaty palms.
    Grip was giving out because the bar kept slipping. Switched to using chalk (even the liquid kind at a gym that bans it) and the problem was solved.
    And, after a good solid deadlift session, I expect my hands to be a bit stiff and sore the next day. After all you're picking up and putting down heavy weight for sets and reps.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    reverse grip, chalk, squeeze the bar as hard as you can every time you hold any weight. that will help develop your grip . It takes time to build those muscles, just like any other muscle. There is no need for straps . Just squeeze the bar , get strong.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    No I haven't tried alternating grip yet. I see people do it all the time and I haven't researched which hand faces away and which hand faces towards you.

If you're right hand-dominant, does the right hand face away from you? My next deadlift training is this Friday.

Hi, try it both ways and see what feels more comfortable. For me my right hand is palm away from me, left hand is palm towards me. I am right handed.
    I'm just starting to experiment with a mixed grip but I do it the other way. Right palm towards me, left palm away. I'm also right handed.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    This is great for your upper back and will absolutely work your grip strength,

https://www.t-nation.com/training/kroc-rows-101
  • KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do pull ups about 2-3 times a week and have now supplemented with holding the empty bar for 10-15 seconds for 3-5 sets as suggested in the stronglift link above. Boy, were my forearms trembling yesterday!

Also, the reason for stating my height is to give perspective on how small my hands are. My thumb will just barely wrap around the bar and touch the other side of my fingers. That is why I'm worried about deadlifting higher weights in the future because of slippage. I'll let you know how my deadlifts goes tomorrow.

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank you so much <3
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do pull ups about 2-3 times a week and have now supplemented with holding the empty bar for 10-15 seconds for 3-5 sets as suggested in the stronglift link above. Boy, were my forearms trembling yesterday!

Also, the reason for stating my height is to give perspective on how small my hands are. My thumb will just barely wrap around the bar and touch the other side of my fingers. That is why I'm worried about deadlifting higher weights in the future because of slippage. I'll let you know how my deadlifts goes tomorrow.

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank you so much <3

You could get a smaller bar too.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This is one of biggest issues, I was griping to my husband this morning when we were trying to do pull-ups, that my baby sized hands are not able to grip the bar correctly. What I've noticed is just with more strength training, just like much of everything else, your grip gets stronger. But to train grip specifically I did "farmer's walks/carries" with 35/45 lbs plates in each hand and walked around for about 30-45seconds, it challenges your grip and endurance. That, and to help with DL I used reverse grips or chalk. I personally ditched the gloves a long time ago, the extra fabric was putting too much space between my hand and the bar, resulting in a weaker grip.

and just from personal experience, with or without gloves, you will develop calluses with weight lifting, might as well just chalk them up to badaxxery. Keep it up!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk, farmers walks, static hangs, more dead lifts.
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm smaller in height than you so totally know how tiny your hands are. I use versa gripps now as I find them easier than the cotton ones. If I forget them I've got chalk because my hands do get sweaty.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    skeo wrote: »
    This is one of biggest issues, I was griping to my husband this morning when we were trying to do pull-ups, that my baby sized hands are not able to grip the bar correctly. What I've noticed is just with more strength training, just like much of everything else, your grip gets stronger. But to train grip specifically I did "farmer's walks/carries" with 35/45 lbs plates in each hand and walked around for about 30-45seconds, it challenges your grip and endurance. That, and to help with DL I used reverse grips or chalk. I personally ditched the gloves a long time ago, the extra fabric was putting too much space between my hand and the bar, resulting in a weaker grip.

and just from personal experience, with or without gloves, you will develop calluses with weight lifting, might as well just chalk them up to badaxxery. Keep it up!

Me too. I have tiny hands and gloves just made things worse. I've built up grip strength using farmers walks, dead hangs etc. I use chalk and I definitely have calluses. I use a cuticle balm on them a few times a day so they're not very noticeable and also to help stop them tearing.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Also, the reason for stating my height is to give perspective on how small my hands are. My thumb will just barely wrap around the bar and touch the other side of my fingers.

I'm 5'11" and if you think I have big hands you are in for a shock. My hands are smaller almost everyone I know and I wouldn't be surprised if you have bigger hands than I do. My mom is 5' and is pretty much the only person I know who has smaller hands than I do (excluding children :smile:).