Anyone have a good barley recipe (not soup)?

Options
deneenae
deneenae Posts: 97 Member
I got some barley and now I don't know what to do with it.... Does anyone have a good recipe that's not Chicken Barley Soup? Perhaps a salad I can pack for my lunch?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It's not a recipe, but as you mentioned, I like to make a barley salad, basically just pasta salad but with barley!

I cook the barley with some frozen mixed veggies (like corn, peas, and carrots). I bake off some chicken, and cut it into bite-size pieces and mix it in. I like to use some kind of vinaigrette to bring it all together, this week I was lazy and picked up a bottle of lemon vinaigrette. Sometimes instead of frozen veggies, I'll chop up some cucumbers, green peppers, and avocado. Or pile it on a bed of baby spinach. I make a big batch for four servings on Sunday, and keep it in the fridge all week.
  • deneenae
    Options
    Good idea! I didn't think of using salad dressing... and it's so obvious!
  • kdanai12
    kdanai12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This recipe is amazing! I don't do meat, so I use veg sausage instead of turkey -
    http://cookingmatters.org/recipes/barley-jambalaya
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You can make a version of tabbouleh (or any middle eastern grain salad) with barley.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love barley. I use it sometimes instead of mashed potato/sweet potato, for instance with pork chops.

And I use it instead of rice in chili con carne. I use lamb mince, passata (tomato paste), onion, garlic, red chili, peppers, squash, celery, one can of beans or I soak and cook the equivalent amount of dry beans.
  • deneenae
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I know what I'm eating tonight!
  • deneenae
    Options
    Update: so I cooked my barley... Think I added too much water but I just drained it and here's my recipe that turned out pretty good. Turns out i had most of the ingredients but i just needed a cucumber.
    1 cup cooked barley
    1/2 cucumber diced
    1 roma tomato diced
    1 oz feta cheese
    1/4 of a small red onion diced
    Kalamata olives chopped
    4oz cooked Chicken I had pre portioned in the freezer
    2 tbsp Italian dressing
    And to give it a kick half a large clove of garlic, minced

Turns out I had enough of everything to make 2 more servings so this is my lunch for next 2 days. Thanks you guys! I don't think I would have attempted it if I didn't get your ideas. I'll try other suggestions in the future cuz it turns out barley is pretty good!

• shellydoo
    shellydoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can use it instead of rice, and make rissotto.

I gently simmer in chicken stock and add zucchini and carrots (diced) garlic and onions
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like it cooked with mushrooms.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Cook it like rice with a little chicken or beef stock added to the water. like it with chicken stock, garlic, black pepper and butter. Pairs well with any vegetables and roasted chicken or pork.
  • onmyweigh_
    onmyweigh_ Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this recipe
    www.budgetbytes.com/2013/09/baked-barley-mushrooms/
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Must...not...mention...best...use...of...barley...
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of regular Oatmeal ; add cinnamon and a handful of raspberries . Cooked the barley with water and topped it with Almond milk
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    You can use it almost anyway you use rice. I make mushroom barley pilaf a lot. Cooking it in broth or stock adds more flavor.
    I also make a really tasty warm salad with barley, Brussels sprouts, walnuts and dried cherries.
  • fletchsc
    fletchsc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe for tomato corn and basil salad with a lemony vinaigrette - http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-grain-salad-with-tomatoes-fresh-corn-and-basil-recipes-from-the-kitchn-205539
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

You mean whiskysoisse?

Ops :D (not soup, she said)

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

You mean whiskysoisse?

Ops :D (not soup, she said)

Personally I prefer the mashed & fermented barley soup with hops to other varieties, but to each their own.