Why is it so hard for me to lose more weight after losing 30 lbs?

Options
I have lost 30 lbs since October of last year. I lost the 30 lbs total in January. Since then, I have been exercising and eating healthy. I am wondering why has my weight stayed the same? I would like to lose another 30 lbs...any advice? tips? much appreciated.

Replies

• ShoneDaddy
    ShoneDaddy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your body has just gotten use to being at a caloric deficit and your results have tapered off, it's called hitting a plateau. Up your calories don't be afraid to eat a little more, any weight you gain will be good mass, after a couple weeks of being at a caloric surplus reduce your caloric I take again and I'm sure you'll start to lose weight again. You just need to shock your body a little bit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @MermaidGypsyQueen what @ShoneDaddy states sounds strange at first to me and most but it has worked over and over for me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 lbs since October of last year. I lost the 30 lbs total in January. Since then, I have been exercising and eating healthy. I am wondering why has my weight stayed the same? I would like to lose another 30 lbs...any advice? tips? much appreciated.

Are you using a food scale? In the beginning when you have a lot to lose, you can still lose weight if your logging is off. But once you get closer to goal you need to eat less calories, so you have less margin for error!

With 30 lbs left, set your goal to 1 lb per week if it isn't there already, use a food scale so you really know how much you are eating, and be very careful about choosing correct entries in the database. Once you have been logging super consistent for a couple of weeks, you should start to see some movement. Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ShoneDaddy wrote: »
    Your body has just gotten use to being at a caloric deficit and your results have tapered off, it's called hitting a plateau. Up your calories don't be afraid to eat a little more, any weight you gain will be good mass, after a couple weeks of being at a caloric surplus reduce your caloric I take again and I'm sure you'll start to lose weight again. You just need to shock your body a little bit.

All OP said was that she is "exercising". How do you know she will gain "good mass"? Maybe she is just on a treadmill for half an hour a day!

OP, if you haven't lost weight since January, you have been eating at maintenance. I bet if you tighten up your logging you will start to see some results again.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Just want to point out this is the weight gain section, not weight loss...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Just want to point out this is the weight gain section, not weight loss...

What you talking about ;)

OP, do you use a food scale? What is your exercise routine? What are your stats? What your goals?

Last one is important because many people get stuck on weight loss thinking it will help them be happy, but what I generally found, is it's a body composition issue.

• amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. I did this, even though it was out of disappointment and lasted alot longer than a couple of weeks, but it worked
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Have you re-adjusted your calorie goals in MFP? At 30 lbs lighter, your BMR is about 150 calories lower.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Have you re-adjusted your calorie goals in MFP? At 30 lbs lighter, your BMR is about 150 calories lower.
    My only issue with this, is it assumes you haven't increased TDEE.

I have lost around 30 lbs and my maintenance has maintained at 3000 calories the entire time because it's because as I lost weight, I also got more fit and pushed harder during exercise. But for many people, a reduction in TDEE can occur.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

OP said she is eating "healthy." We don't even know if she is in a deficit (hint: if she isn't losing weight, she isn't).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Nope.

OP, you're eating too much. Did you adjust your calories to account for the 30 pounds loss?

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Rubbish! OP, whatever you do, DON'T do this. He's telling you to first regain some weight so that your body can be shocked into losing again. Makes no sense!

If you're plateaued, it's because you're at maintenance. If you want to start losing again, either reduce your intake OR increase your exercise OR both. Simple as that.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

My only issue with this, is it assumes you haven't increased TDEE.

I have lost around 30 lbs and my maintenance has maintained at 3000 calories the entire time because it's because as I lost weight, I also got more fit and pushed harder during exercise. But for many people, a reduction in TDEE can occur.

Hence, why I said your BMR is lower, not your TDEE. In fact, MFP has no idea what my TDEE is, for example, since I told it I will exercise 0 times per week for 0 minutes.