non supportive people

Options
I'm really hurt at the fact that some of my own family can't not be supportive on the way I'm losing weight :/ apparently watching calories is starving my self and I am never gonna lose weight and that I should only eat meat and dairy no veggies fruits pastas or bread !! Why can't the people you love be as supportive as the strangers on here

Replies

• LisaAnn642015
    LisaAnn642015 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that, unfortunately they say a lot of it stems from insecurity of change and sometimes jealousy because they can't or won't change to help themselves get healthy. Just keep your chin up and pressing on things will get better :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think its a waste of time and energy expecting other people to be into your diet, as long as they dont actively obstruct or discourage thats enough. Its your diet not theirs, so ignore them and focus your energies on yourself instead of worrying about others.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I think its a waste of time and energy expecting other people to be into your diet, as long as they dont actively obstruct or discourage thats enough. Its your diet not theirs, so ignore them and focus your energies on yourself instead of worrying about others.

Yup, if they aren't physically knocking food out of your mouth keep doing what you're doing. Some people don't know how to support, they might think they are being helpful. Sometimes your successes make other people insecure in their efforts (if any!). There are so many different variables it is best to have a clear conversation with your family about your goals.
  • williamsmommy0823
    williamsmommy0823 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks I hate that it seems that way . my cousin said she lost weight by beating that way but unfortunately we all know its due to drugs :/ I know personally a friend of mine lost 30 pounds n 2 months during it this way
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. This journey is much better with company. That's why I turn to social media. I have way more health minded friends online than in real life. It's not ideal, but it works for now. Once you've reached your goals it'll change from "why" to "how"!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    don't throw your pearls before swines even with family. sometimes you just have to keep it to yourself. the results will speak for themselves
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I'm really hurt at the fact that some of my own family can't not be supportive on the way I'm losing weight :/ apparently watching calories is starving my self and I am never gonna lose weight and that I should only eat meat and dairy no veggies fruits pastas or bread !! Why can't the people you love be as supportive as the strangers on here
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10134341/you-arent-always-going-to-get-support/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Do you mean that they want you to eat low carb?

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. This journey is much better with company. That's why I turn to social media. I have way more health minded friends online than in real life. It's not ideal, but it works for now. Once you've reached your goals it'll change from "why" to "how"!

My family is supportive. But I like folks on here because they all really "get it". One thing I really like is that it isn't very competitive. Meaning, I have yet to read where someone had written " oh, you only have 25# to lose, I have 100#. You don't know what it's like. ". Everyone is different but we're all here to support each other in a common goal. To be as fit and healthy as we can be, no matter where we each start.
  • williamsmommy0823
    Options
    Yes no carbs and that me cutting calories is starving and a waste of time
  • williamsmommy0823
    Options
    And thanks for the kind words
  • goldthistime
    Options
    There are TONS of low carb supporters here too. I like carbs too much to go low carb (plus I did an Atkins stint back in the day and don't want to go back there) but I DO think it has some advantages. Hopefully you aren't cutting so many calories that you ARE starving.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    There are saboteurs in the places we least expect it sometimes. I remember when I went from 190 to 115 it took me around a year and a half. I worked really hard and cut back my calories and started exercising almost every day. People would tell me I looked great and they couldn't believe how much I lost and other people would just stare at me and snicker out of jealousy. It wasn't until a few years later someone told me that the rumor was that I got so thin because I was using drugs. That hurt because it undermined all the hard work I put in, it hurt because I grew up with an alcohol and drug addicted parent so I have zero interest in partaking in either activity, and it hurt most of all because I found out that people I thought were good friends chose to believe the rumor instead of me saying it was my diet and exercise.

I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to believe that cutting calories and working out is all it takes to be healthier. I'm sorry your family isn't supportive. My mom has always been overweight and she constantly made hurtful remarks about my body. Coworkers have told me I look pregnant at 115 pounds because I had a food belly or have said "uh oh, you're getting fat again!" Some people are jealous, disgusting jerks. Keep on doing what you're doing and don't let anyone stand in the way of your success.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    You can do this without their support. I did. I used the lack of support and the fact they wanted me to fail as a tool to prove everyone wrong. The results speak for themselves. Do not discuss what you are or not eating and go about what you are doing. The less info you provide the less they have to tear down. I started this journey all alone except for the kind people of MFP. Since my transformation I now have 4 family members on this site. You have to believe in yourself and be kind to yourself. What others think is not really pertinent.
  • williamsmommy0823
    Options
    I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing staying at around 1100-1200 calories a day ((1630..target)) I have been full all day with what I'm eating !!
  • goldthistime
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing staying at around 1100-1200 calories a day ((1630..target)) I have been full all day with what I'm eating !!

I've read about people who adjusted to 1200 calories and were able to maintain it. Me not so much. I started off at 1200 but did not find it sustainable. Most of my friends were the same. We had to up to at least 1350. Right now I am using around 1450 as a goal, plus eating back exercise calories. Just give yourself permission to up your intake if you find yourself hungry all the time. And, um, if you are struggling, try reducing your carbs (just a little) and upping your protein and fats. :smile: :wink:

Edit: I somehow read right past the 1630 target. Personally I think there is nothing wrong with being slightly more aggressive in the early days, but there is a reason MFP chose 1630 as a target for you. 1200 was my MFP calculated target.

• williamsmommy0823
    Options
    Shell I'm not purposely eating that its just a good amount I'm not hungry at the end of the day !! So why should I eat more if I'm not hungry
  • williamsmommy0823
    Options
    Its only day 2 for me . so y people are so concerned about me starving my self is beyond me