Testosterone problems

Options
I am 49 yrs old and got up to 412lbs and dropped down 77lbs and started having health issues. Went to Dr. And he said that I basically went into Manopause. He put me on testosterone and I put on about 20lbs. For the last 2 weeks I have been stuck and can't get it off. No matter what I do do any of you guys out there have any suggestions for me, please I need all the help I can get I know it's fluid but it want burn off.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating?
  • bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    1200 Val's a day and try to drink at least 100 oz or more
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    No change in weight when I started taking it. How fast did you gain the 20 pounds?
  • bigpap97
    Options
    Less than 1 weeK
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    Less than 1 weeK

Have you contacted the doctor? That seems like a ton of fluid retention.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    How much Testosterone are you taking? Fluid retention is fairly common.
    Is he a TRT Dr?
    What labs did he do before putting you on test? Should have done LH, FSH, E2, free and total test.
    E2 ( estradiol) aka estrogen goes handbin hand with testosterone, so as test levels increase so does E2. Some people with higher BF% have harsher side effects and their bodies convert the test to estrogen more so than lower BF% people.
    If your dr did not test E2 or prescribe an aromatose inhibitor find a new Dr.
    High or low E2 will have you feeling horrid! You can google the effects for low and high E2 in men to see if you fall in there.

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?2309-Role-of-Estradiol-in-Men-and-Its-Management

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?488-How-should-doctors-monitor-men-receiving-testosterone-replacement-therapy

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?5040-Blood-Tests-Needed-Before-and-During-Testosterone-Replacement-Therapy

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?491-How-to-Find-a-Good-Doctor-that-Prescribes-Testosterone-HCG-and-Anastrozole

Hope some of these links help. If you have any others questions send me a pm.
    Gl
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It could be bloating - water retention. I'd definitely contact your doctor. Show him your food journal ( if your weighing all your foods , let him know you've weighed everything out so know its accurate) . while I do believe 1200 is too low of a calorie goal, that's not what this thread is about so I'll keep my feelings to myself.
    My husband started on the androgel but it didn't work so went to testosterone cyp. And had better results but did experience swelling and water retention at times during this process. It got so bad they had to give him a prescription water pill to relieve the swelling. So I think its a good idea to talk with your doctor asap
  • bigpap97
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Less than 1 weeK

I go back to see Dr. On September 12, I know it is a long wait
    arb037 wrote: »
    Is he a TRT Dr?
    What labs did he do before putting you on test? Should have done LH, FSH, E2, free and total test.
    E2 ( estradiol) aka estrogen goes handbin hand with testosterone, so as test levels increase so does E2. Some people with higher BF% have harsher side effects and their bodies convert the test to estrogen more so than lower BF% people.
    High or low E2 will have you feeling horrid! You can google the effects for low and high E2 in men to see if you fall in there.

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?2309-Role-of-Estradiol-in-Men-and-Its-Management

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?488-How-should-doctors-monitor-men-receiving-testosterone-replacement-therapy

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?5040-Blood-Tests-Needed-Before-and-During-Testosterone-Replacement-Therapy

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?491-How-to-Find-a-Good-Doctor-that-Prescribes-Testosterone-HCG-and-Anastrozole

Gl

I am seeing an Endocrinologist and yes he test all that, my estrogen was high I can't remember the number my testosterone was 180 something. They will reruns the test the 12th. I take 8 ml"s a week.
  • bigpap97
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    It could be bloating - water retention. I'd definitely contact your doctor. Show him your food journal ( if your weighing all your foods , let him know you've weighed everything out so know its accurate) . while I do believe 1200 is too low of a calorie goal, that's not what this thread is about so I'll keep my feelings to myself.
    My husband started on the androgel but it didn't work so went to testosterone cyp. And had better results but did experience swelling and water retention at times during this process. It got so bad they had to give him a prescription water pill to relieve the swelling. So I think its a good idea to talk with your doctor asap

I know I am on a lower cal diet than I should be on but it is working for me, I go a little over a few times but no one is perfect, my trainer/nutritionist wanted me at 1500 Val's but I didn't feel it was working for me
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I know I am on a lower cal diet than I should be on but it is working for me, I go a little over a few times but no one is perfect, my trainer/nutritionist wanted me at 1500 Val's but I didn't feel it was working for me

Listen to your trainer and nutritionist. They know more about setting a correct calorie goal than most people and in this case, they are right.
  • Packerjohn
    edited August 2015
    Options

You didn't gain 20 pound in a week eating. I'd at least call the doctor's office and talk to a nurse or physician's assistant and not wait until your 9/12 visit to question this.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Less than 1 weeK

I go back to see Dr. On September 12, I know it is a long wait
    arb037 wrote: »
    Is he a TRT Dr?

Gl

I am seeing an Endocrinologist and yes he test all that, my estrogen was high I can't remember the number my testosterone was 180 something. They will reruns the test the 12th. I take 8 ml"s a week.

Here is an more accurate scale for T levels according to age

Total Testosterone for Males
    7 months to 9 years Less than 30 ng/dL (< 1.04 nmol/L)
    10–13 years 1–619 ng/dL (0.04–21.48 nmol/L)
    14–15 years 100–540 ng/dL (3.47–18.74 nmol/L)
    16–19 years 200–970 ng/dL (6.94–33.66 nmol/L)
    20–39 years 270–1,080 ng/dL (9.00–37.48 nmol/L)
    40–59 years 350–890 ng/dL (12.15–30.88 nmol/ L)
    60 years and older 350–720 ng/dL (12.15–24.98 nmol/L)

If yours was measured in ng/dl and was 180 that is similar to a 90 yr old half dead (exxageration for effect).
    If this was AFTER a testosterone injection this is cause for concern, I am willing to bet your E2 is sky high...
    http://www.seasonswellness.com/itsnotjustawomanthing/

Symptoms of High Estrogen in Men

1. Gynecomastia/Male breast growth

The growth of male breasts is called gynecomastia. When estrogen is present in high levels in men, the cells in breasts change their behavior. They begin to grow and this leads to the breasts becoming larger and more firm instead of the distinct pectoral fat deposits most men have. This condition can occur in around half of boys in puberty, but if it continues into adulthood, there may be an underlying reason.

2. Low sex drive

Men who have high levels of estrogen may have a problem known as erectile dysfunction. This means he is unable to maintain an erection. Any man who is experiencing sexual problems should talk to his doctor about a possible hormone imbalance.

3. Infertility

A man’s fertility is determined by the number of sperm he has, the movement of the sperm and whether they can survive long enough to reach and fertilize an egg. Men who are exposed to high levels of estrogen have a higher rate of infertility than men who are not. This is because estrogen lowers the sperm’s mobility.

4. Stroke risk

Because excess estrogen may cause blood clots, if a man has too much estrogen in his system, he may be at a higher risk of having a stroke.

5. Heart attack

The bodies of older men produce less testosterone. This causes a hormonal imbalance with estrogen becoming more dominant. An imbalance like this is often overlooked as a possible cause of cardio disease.

6. Prostate problems

High levels of estrogen in men can cause differing results. Some studies show that excess estrogen may cause prostate cancer, but once the cancer occurs, the estrogen may have some anticancer effects.

7. Weight gain

High estrogen levels in men can cause weight gain and that weight gain may cause higher levels of estrogen. It is a cycle that is not easily broken.

If any of these symptoms ring true, than I would be contacting that Dr, right away to get additional labs run for E2 (estradiol, and make sure its the "sensitive essay test" as those are for men and the others are not accurate). If your Dr is not willing, you can order the labs yourself from places like PrivateMDlabs, or DiscountLabs, as the E2 test is only around $30..

Typically when on TRT patients usually "feel" the best ( meaning any negative symptoms eliminated) in the upper middle range of the scale, for a 49 yr old male that would be around 650ish or so. But the better indicator is your Free Testosterone Number not so much Total Testosterone (which is what these numbers are describing).

Also there is an important ratio between Testosterone and Estradiol that many patients feel better at, it was described as Total Test / E2 = (optimally) between 14-20 so for example.
    If you had a Total Test @ 600 and an E2 @ 35 your ratio would be 17.xx..
    Everyone is different however and your numbers may need to be different to have you feeling the best. TRT takes time to dial in as you are manipulating hormones, and the body is trying to find homeostasis.
    http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?5130-Testosterone-to-Estrodiol-Ratio

I will tell you it is VERY difficult to find a DR (endo, urologist etc) that really knows hormones in relation to mens TRT, and the proper way to perform treatment. Best thing is to educate yourself as much as possible.

Theres alot of info on that website I have linked, especially geared for those on TRT or looking for information about it.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i went to my dr and found out my testosterone level was 7.
    i did a couple of weeks of testosterone therapy and gained weight so i stopped.
  • bigpap97
    Options

You didn't gain 20 pound in a week eating. I'd at least call the doctor's office and talk to a nurse or physician's assistant and not wait until your 9/12 visit to question this.

• bigpap97
    Options
    I didn't say that I lost it eating I said it was fluid retention which has caused very uncomfortable bloating
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    I didn't say that I lost it eating I said it was fluid retention which has caused very uncomfortable bloating

Understand you gained the weight due to bloat. What I'm saying is IMO, 20 pounds in a week is very significant and I would not wait 2-3 weeks to call the doctor's office.

Fluid retention isn't something you want, can cause or be the result of serous medical problems. Please call your doctor ASAP.

Best of luck.
  • bigpap97
    Options
    The fluid is finally coming off and bloating is going down. Talked to nurse at Dr. Office, waiting on call back, also would like to say thank you for all you guys help with this it meant a lot for you to look up those web sites