Proper running form

Options
Lately, I have had pain in my inner calves during and after my runs. I make sure I do my warm ups and cool downs and that my shoes and insoles are in good shape. I'm suspecting that my running form is bad in some way, but I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong. Maybe doing a slo-mo video will show me. What is good running form, and how can I correct bad habits?

Replies

• juliusgiron
    juliusgiron Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Describe the pain.

1. Is your terrain uphill? If YES then that might cause your calf pain.
    2. Are increasing your speed? If YES then you might be landing mostly on the tip of your toes and that makes your calves engage most of the time.
    3. Try to land on the balls of your fit. Be cautious on how you lnd your strides.
    4. Try short strides and fast cadance.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running shop near you? Mine will put you on a treadmill and watch you run before advising on shoes and if you are experiencing any issues otherwise.
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hadn't thought about going to a running shop! I don't know of any shops where I live, but I'm sure there are some around here.

My terrain has some up and down but not overly steep. I think I may be landing more so on my heels or flat footed. I know it hasn't been the balls of my feet. I tried to run a little while being more mindful of that and it felt unnatural and kind of painful. I'm afraid I must have developed a bad habit that might be hard to break! Or I could simply be completely clueless about how to change how I've been running.