Options
Protranser
Protranser Posts: 517 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What difference does the number make? Do you wish to add muscle or cut fat?
  • Protranser
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    What difference does the number make? Do you wish to add muscle or cut fat?

Yes! :-)

I am trying to determine whether i should start recomp now or wait till goal weight. I'm overweight according to bmi (37 year old male 5'9" 181 lbs, but 185 according to trendweight)

I'm interested in seeing how far off my scale is when it reads my body fat percentage
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Trendweight?
  • Protranser
    Options
    Yeah. It reads your weigh ins and determines if you're losing or gaining weight, since daily weight fluctuations can be a little worrying. Seeing a sudden 3-5 lb gain or loss over a few days can throw me off. I'll sometimes wonder if I'm gaining instead of losing, or losing too quickly.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself and try any of these sites to get a rough body fat estimation.

Health-status.com
    Linear-software.com
    Calculator.net

If you are not lifting now, start. Even in a deficit you will benefit.

Cheers, h.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Do you have 16 pounds left to lose?

Recomp is basically when you are at a healthy weight. You don't want to gain or lose weight but want to drop body fat%. You eat to maintain your weight and follow a progressive lifting program.

I would drop more weight. You could change your goal to 0.5 lbs. a week. Start a progressive lifting program. Get adequate protein and fat, fill the rest with carbs. It will be slow but you want to have the energy to progress.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Thanks everyone

Yes @bioklutz , 16 lbs till I'm at the high end of normal bmi. I'll keep eating at a deficit until then.
    Thank you for the links too, @middlehaitch
  • zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    From your photos and taking my fat % analysis by DEXA, I can say you are around 30% body fat mass
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    26-27%
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I would lift weights and cut 20 lbs, then consider recomping or diet break and continue cutting.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    22-23%. Definitely still need to be cutting.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Whee percentages! Lol

Thanks everyone! Hmm so i should aim for 160 rather than 165? Alright.

<3 to all for taking the time to respond
  • zeinmr
    Options
    I dont think it is the right thing to cut at this moment. You need to gain more muscle mass which helps increasing your basal metabolism and then you will cut and the fat % will dropm faster.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would say 24/26%
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    25ish
  • zeinmr
    Options
    I want you to look at my photo(in my profile) and estimate my fat %. I did a DEXA and it is the most accurate method to measure body fat...
  • Protranser
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »
    I want you to look at my photo(in my profile) and estimate my fat %. I did a DEXA and it is the most accurate method to measure body fat...

Nice pic! I don't know if I am the right person to give you an estimate though, since I myself don't really know what to be looking for.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at guessing Female Body Fat - but just can't guess Male Body Fat.
    Try going for a Dexa scan OP, that's the most accurate BF measurement you can get.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    23%
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »

I'd guess 16-18%.