Excess skin and crazy thoughts

Options
feel free to just tell me no or your crazy this is just some out there thinking.

So say your goal weight is 75 and you are likely to have excess skin.

Does it make any sense for you to continue losing to 70 or even 65 and maintain it for a while, to I guess give your skin as much reason to tighten or shrink or what ever it does as possible.

Then gain the few kilos again to get back up to goal?

Does this make sense?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    First: your crazy
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How tall are you? If you'd have to go below a healthy BMI range, I'd say "don't do it". I don't know, I think it's possible that you'd get a marginal improvement, like millimeters' worth, over the few weeks or month you'd be able to sustain it, for a lot of pain, and probably a massive head trip as well. We're not machines like that
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    And I even doubt you'd get that much
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A little crazy. And understandable. BUT Skin does what it does. . . . not possible to predict outcome.
    Keep to your plan that is working for you. :)
  • Merkavar
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    How tall are you? If you'd have to go below a healthy BMI range, I'd say "don't do it". I don't know, I think it's possible that you'd get a marginal improvement, like millimeters' worth, over the few weeks or month you'd be able to sustain it, for a lot of pain, and probably a massive head trip as well. We're not machines like that

Those numbers I just plucked out of the air, they aren't my goals, just the first round number that came to mind.

• Merkavar
    Options
    Some times you got to ask the silly questions.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    feel free to just tell me no or your crazy this is just some out there thinking.

Does it make any sense for you to continue losing to 70 or even 65 and maintain it for a while, to I guess give your skin as much reason to tighten or shrink or what ever it does as possible.

Does this make sense?

You're talking in kilos?

It makes sense to drop to 2-3 kilos under your goal weight as many report gaining a couple whilst trying to find maintenance (personally I went the other way and dropped more tbh but I'm a little bit of a control freak)

For skin no it makes no sense ...weight loss or gain can cause stretching ...it depends on genetics, age, elasticity and dumb luck

Just get to your ideal body, weight training, find your maintenance, continue to weight train, give it a couple of years then if unhappy consider surgery
  • Merkavar
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Does this make sense?

You're talking in kilos?

It makes sense to drop to 2-3 kilos under your goal weight as many report gaining a couple whilst trying to find maintenance (personally I went the other way and dropped more tbh but I'm a little bit of a control freak)

For skin no it makes no sense ...weight loss or gain can cause stretching ...it depends on genetics, age, elasticity and dumb luck

Just get to your ideal body, weight training, find your maintenance, continue to weight train, give it a couple of years then if unhappy consider surgery

Yeah that's basically the plan, well not sure about the surgery part.

Just an odd thought I had.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    I recognise that ...I have quite a few myself :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I get what you're asking and my thought is this:

If you were to lose extra, your skin wouldn't spring back any faster. If it was going to spring back to the extent that that 5 kg would make a difference, it would still spring back to the point where you've had wanted it to at 75, but at 70 you might not know that's where you wanted it and let it spring back more, and then risk stretch marks when you went up to the 75. All highly unlikely, which actually makes it a good example as to why it wouldn't really work as a plan.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Does this make sense?

From what I read it can be best to lose 5 kg/11 pounds more or less and maintain there for a month or two and repeat. It lets you body/skin to better readjust perhaps. It is to also decrease the risks of regaining the weight over the next 5 years.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    You read, or misunderstand, a bunch of weird stuff
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I guess the loose skin worries are always there but that can be mitigated somewhat by losing to your desired goal at a slow and steady pace. Going significantly lower than your goal weight would be a miserable experience for what I believe would be very little return. In fact I would believe it would actually put your skin under even more stress....making the problem even worse.

From the change in your avatar over time whatever you are doing is successful (Congrats)....deliberately going lower than your original GW....then waiting and gaining back to me seems as though you are putting your skin under even more stress and could just exacerbate any looseness.

Like another poster has said age, genetics, the luck of the draw play a huge part in determining how much of a problem excess skin will be. Other issues such as a life of yo-yo dieting too play no small part in harming the skins elasticity so doing the whole weight loss thing and being successful at maintaining is really beneficial.

Patience plays such a huge part in weight loss.....it can take up to 2 years to see the finished results of how your skin will finally look.....so don't despair on your skins appearance immediately on reaching GW. 2 years is such a long time and hard I know but it's just another aspect of how weight loss is as much a mental game as a physical one.... stacking this time up against the rest of your life, can alter your perspective....it's a life long journey (sorry for "That" euphemism) couldn't think of a better on. ;)

Other things that can help mitigate loose skin is making sure you are adequately hydrated, keep up with moisturising your skin (don't worry about it being only for girls), decent strength training and muscle building. I'm probably repeating all that you already know as you are a pretty clued up guy if your posts are any indication.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Other things that can help mitigate loose skin is making sure you are adequately hydrated, keep up with moisturising your skin (dailydon't worry about it being only for girls), decent strength training and muscle building. I'm probably repeating all that you already know as you are a pretty clued up guy if your posts are any indication.

I agree, moisturizing should be done by everyone, and making it a feminine/masculine practice is rather silly.

Cuz, you know, only men lift heavy, and only women care about their weight.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I really don't think 5kg will make much difference when you've lost as much as you have. I've been maintaining a 70kg weight loss for 12 months, give or take a few kg, and it's made very little difference to my skin. Lifting heavy as I lost (over 2 years) and during maintenance has made the most difference I think because I have visible muscle, but underarms, stomach, thighs are all not great. I do think the loose skin I had on my calves (of all places) has tightened a smidgen though. Really at this point I think losing more will just make the skin worse.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Moisturizing does precisely jack as far as mitigating loose skin.

If like moisturizing your skin, go for it, but don't do it because you think it will help with loose skin. It won't.