Ever eat a brain sandwich?

Options
tuckerrj
tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
No, this isn't a zombie joke! There a delicacy around St. Louis, Missouri. They originated around there because that's where the stockyards were set up back in the 1800's. Oddly enough there wasn't an entry in MFP so I had to do some research just to get an estimate of the calorie count. Look up "Schottzie's - Brain Sandwich" on your food tab. They taste alot like breaded deep fried scrambled eggs. Not a lot of flavor, but add a little mustard or pickles or onions and it's certainly a change of pace. Imagine how much fun you can have grossing out all of your friends!!!

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    No, but I would try it!
    They taste alot like breaded deep fried scrambled eggs.

How the heck would you know this? That's like saying how did the condor taste? A lot like bald eagle. :laugh:
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    Well I know what scrambled eggs tast like. Duh! It's not hard to imagine them breaded, the texture, taste, etc.. The weird thing is that they deep fry them for over FIFTEEN minutes to kill all the heebee-geebee's in them. Thus, making the breading much harder and crunchier than normal.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Heck, I would still try them! I will try any food once.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try looking up Vietnamese sub or sandwich... I found one that had brain in it but it's been a while since I ate and logged one do I might have the name wrong. And yes, brain subs are SO good!
  • inside_lap
    Options
    And no, I'm not Vietnamese... Lol
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Um , I'm from Louisiana and we eat brain as often as we can . Scratch that I used to eat brain as often as I could lol . It's one of the main dishes I always asked my mother or my sister to make when I would visit.

On a sandwich ,with eggs, in cowboy stew, fried ,grilled ...mmmmm

Good stuff I tell ya, but I don't eat like that anymore:bigsmile:
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Ok, can't find it in the system. Maybe I just imagined logging it :/
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    It's quite popular here with either onions and mushroom, scrambled eggs, or with spinach as a taco filling.....and yes it has a very delicate ( and almost like scrambled egg type consistency ) flavor. I stopped eating it, because I am staying away from street food these days.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Is it anything like the KFC chicken with brain things in them?
    article-0-16C6CD97000005DC-556_634x427.jpg
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've had brain tacos. They're called "sesos" Mexican style
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    In Saint Louie they serve 'em on marble rye, with a side of vinegar slaw & a cold Stag beer on tap. Not diet or health food. But once or twice a year, it's a unique dining experience.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Gross.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Brains are really high in cholesterol! The French love them, too. I've never had the pleasure of this delicacy, but I did used to be very fond of tongue sandwiches, with mustard and lettuce.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Cow brain? Pig brain? Chicken brain?? What kind of brain are we talking about here??
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Is this what happened to the majority of MFPers brains? I only ask because...well you've seen the forums, right?
  • amandafranks32
    amandafranks32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm from Louisiana and Hog's Head Cheese is a big thing around here. I know I tasted it as a child but have no desire to eat it now. I love our Cajun foods but I draw a line when it comes to that. Or frog legs. Lol
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Is this what happened to the majority of MFPers brains? I only ask because...well you've seen the forums, right?

LOL...could very well be true!
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    Cow brain? Pig brain? Chicken brain?? What kind of brain are we talking about here??

Well they used to serve beef brain. But after the big "Mad Cow" scare a few years back they switched to pork brains, even though they're cooked long & hot enough to destroy anything that might transmit it.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i've had (pig's) brain in hot pot before! it's nice - like you described, a bit like scrambled eggs, and it mostly takes on the flavour of whatever you add to it.

i would love to try a brain sandwich!!!
  • mona_patty
    mona_patty Posts: 170
    Options
    i used to eat brain when I was little... it taste pretty good!! :)