FRUSTRATED...HELP...Running advice

Options
I started jogging in February and got to a 5k in 38 minutes around the beginning of June which I know is slow, but I have never in my adult life exercised. Anyway...since then things have been getting worse and not any better. My times got slower and I got frustrated. I start out with my runs all motivated, but about two miles in to a five mile run I am just done. I just can't seem to make myself keep going. I have a friend who just started running a couple months ago and is finding it so much easier than I am. She just sets out and does a 5 mile run in under an hour and doesn't seem to have too much trouble. I feel like I must be missing something. Am I doing it wrong? Are there ways to make it easier? Is it something you just have to push through and everyone struggles, but makes it seem easy? Please any advice is extremely helpful!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Sounds counterproductive but it may be that your muscles, tendons or some other system isn't ready for the speed yet. I've been running for about 2 years and run at about the same speed as you (slower in the heat of summer).
    It's not about speed at this point. You've only been running a few months. Speed comes with the miles under your shoes. Keep running. Speed will slowly come.
    Are you following an app or training program? Perhaps try C210K. It'll get you running longer, which may over time improve your short distance times.
    Be patient. You'll get there and if you don't, have fun.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Two words: Slow Down. The #1 mistake novice runners make is starting out their run going too fast. This isn't gym class and you're not doing the quarter mile or 100 yard dash. Chances are you are overly taxing your cardio vascular system which leads to exhaustion.

My advice is to learn to pace yourself. You can buy GPS watches or download an app that will tell you how fast you are going. Starting off, you probably want to aim for around a 12 minute mile. Personally I have found that the best tool to learn pacing isn't a watch or an app, it's a treadmill. Set the thing for 5 MPH and it will dutifully keep you precisely on pace. After using the treadmill for a week or so, you will become accustomed to what a 12 minute mile feels like and then you will more easily be able to transfer that to running outside. Map your run, note where the mile markers are and keep time. Even then you will probably still have to tell yourself to slow down because everyone's instinct when faced with a long stretch of open road is to want to cover it as quickly as possible. Good luck!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on running! 5 miles is an accomplishment!

As a runner I've found that for every great run, where you feel like you can run forever i have 2-3 runs that really feel challenging. Some days are an off day, even if you do everything right.

That being said there are a couple things that you can take a look at that may help narrow down why you're having such a hard time all of a sudden:

What is the weather like in your area? Humidity will make you slower, that is just the way of it. Heat will also cause you to slow down, and one or both can cause what would normally feel fine to feel not so awesome. So make sure you're running during cooler times of the day like in the early mornings or evenings.

Have you increased the distances or frequencies of your runs?/What is your pace? If you went right from 3.2 miles up to 5 miles in a short amount of time that could make things feel not so nice, especially if you try to keep the same pace for a 5 miler that you would run for a 5k. If you went from running twice a week to running every day you could also find that not working so well for your body. I know for me, running 3x per week is about all my body can take on a regular basis. I fill the other days with cross training and strength training to support my running efforts. For longer runs I would also suggest slowing down your pace from what you log for shorter runs.

Have you changed your diet significantly? Since starting your running have you changed your carb/fat/protein ratios? Have you cut your calories back? Have you kept your calorie intake the same as you had when you weren't running? If its a calorie issue you can take a look at your TDEE (the Scooby's Workshop has a calculator online) and make sure you're eating enough etc. You may need more carbs, or more proteins etc. so playing around with your macro ratios could help.

Are you cross training? If your sole exercise is running it may be beneficial to you to begin to incorporate some basic strength training for runners (runnersworld.com has some great information on that), and maybe taking at least one day a week to do some other form of cardio. Sometimes if all you do is run you can create muscle imbalances which can make your body feel a bit beat up. This isn't always true for everyone, but, I think everyone would greatly benefit from incorporating some basic strengthening exercises just to keep everything honky dory.

Are you resting enough? Do you have at least one rest day a week? rest is just as important as your training and mileage when it comes to running. I would also suggest to incorporate some stretching into your routine. I know I feel much better when I run when I've been consistent with my stretching.

Hope some of this helps. And yes, sometimes on some runs you just need to push past a certain point (for me it's usually the first mile) before things sort of even out. But if you're feeling like that for every single run, then it's time to take a look at what you can change.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you just run. When you push through, your cardiovascular system adapts and in a week or two you can do more. It's exhilerating.

But as @PaytraB points out, there's a lot more systems going on with your run including your joints, your ligaments, and your muscles. They take longer to adapt.

After I learned to run, I expected steady progression from 5k to 10 k with better and better times. But it did not work out that way. Like you, I got slower and slower. My knees were giving me trouble. I found out I had tight hips and a weak core. I had to step up my stretching, slow down my runs, and I took a good long break (I think three weeks) in the middle. One of the hardest things I had to do was slow down in the hopes I would not get so discouraged to pick it up again.

I am slowly getting stronger and faster again, running at 1-3 (one minute walking, three minutes running) and I'm back between 10 and 12 minutes a kilometer.

I have two bedazzled motivation words, framed, on my desk. They are "strong" and "healthy". Reminders of why I am doing this. I am indeed stronger and healthier for the running.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there is a distinct mental barrier that can happen. try to tell yourself to the next fire hydrant, then the next corner. etc.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to anyone else. You have to carve your own path. Work on pace and then times will come. You also have to make sure you're resting adequately.
  • Myzippyboy
    Myzippyboy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am going thru this same issue. I am only on wk 4 of c25k and its my 3rd attempt to get over the wk4 hump. I just mentally cant do it without a partner for accountability. And I am a very mentally strong person. Soooo frustrating! Hopefully with the advice of mfp friends you will achieve your goals. Best of luck.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Once upon a time I'd do a 10k in 52 minutes.
    I really don't know how but I ran 5k in 30 minutes 23 seconds in June. I was hoping for 40 so was delighted.
    However my training has gotten slower and I feel heavier and more sluggish. I thought it might be because my runners were dead so I got new runners and then my knee caved.

I pushed too hard too soon. I am now very frustrated with myself. I've a race next Tuesday and I don't think I'll be able to run it but I'll walk it if I have to! One step at a time.

But on the upside I used to be a runner and I will get back there again.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    After I learned to run, I expected steady progression from 5k to 10 k with better and better times. But it did not work out that way. Like you, I got slower and slower. My knees were giving me trouble. I found out I had tight hips and a weak core. I had to step up my stretching, slow down my runs, and I took a good long break (I think three weeks) in the middle. One of the hardest things I had to do was slow down in the hopes I would not get so discouraged to pick it up again.

Thank you, jgnatca! This is how I've been feeling over the past few months. I thought it may be summer heat and humidity but suspect that it's not. I probably have a weak core. I will look into this and try to improve. Thanks!!
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Keep the ideas coming! This is really helping! I think I get so frustrated because I want to be able to run those 5 miles without walking and I just can't seem to do it. It just seems to come so much easier to others and it is discouraging. Thanks again!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    By the way, a friend of mine who does marathons says he did his first without knowing anything about pacing thinking he could just drill it through, and he just couldn't do it. He watched other marathoners easily pass him and he wondered, how do they do that? He learned about pacing, significantly slowed down his run early on, and now regularly passes the newbies....in the final quarter of the race.

http://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/how-to-pace-marathon-training-runs

Even though I am still pretty new at this, I found out I don't have to train to the length of my goal run all the time. Maybe a week or two before the race I will run that far. But if I can run half of my goal, I will be all right.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Two words: Slow Down. The #1 mistake novice runners make is starting out their run going too fast. This isn't gym class and you're not doing the quarter mile or 100 yard dash. Chances are you are overly taxing your cardio vascular system which leads to exhaustion.

My advice is to learn to pace yourself. You can buy GPS watches or download an app that will tell you how fast you are going. Starting off, you probably want to aim for around a 12 minute mile. Personally I have found that the best tool to learn pacing isn't a watch or an app, it's a treadmill. Set the thing for 5 MPH and it will dutifully keep you precisely on pace. After using the treadmill for a week or so, you will become accustomed to what a 12 minute mile feels like and then you will more easily be able to transfer that to running outside. Map your run, note where the mile markers are and keep time. Even then you will probably still have to tell yourself to slow down because everyone's instinct when faced with a long stretch of open road is to want to cover it as quickly as possible. Good luck!
    peter56765 wrote: »

I have never ran before and read your post.
    I have a treadmill and would prefer to start with it before I venture out. I have tried a couple of times but can't even run for 30 seconds
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Keep the ideas coming! This is really helping! I think I get so frustrated because I want to be able to run those 5 miles without walking and I just can't seem to do it. It just seems to come so much easier to others and it is discouraging. Thanks again!

How much of a deficit are you holding in your diet?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I started jogging in February and got to a 5k in 38 minutes around the beginning of June which I know is slow, but I have never in my adult life exercised. Anyway...since then things have been getting worse and not any better. My times got slower and I got frustrated. I start out with my runs all motivated, but about two miles in to a five mile run I am just done.

That's because it's summer and the temps are much higher now. I easily add 1 - 1.5 minutes per mile to my time during the summer. Know that running slower when it's warmer doesn't mean you lost fitness. It takes a lot of effort to stay cool and that takes away from your endurance. Keep doing your workouts and when the temps cool off again you'll be that much faster. You'll see.

ETA: A week ago I did an 8 mile run and did the last mile under 9:00 and it felt easy. Yesterday I walked 3 times on a 7.5 mile run. I was shot. It was 68 that morning and 81 and humid yesterday. It makes all the difference.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I have never ran before and read your post.
    I have a treadmill and would prefer to start with it before I venture out. I have tried a couple of times but can't even run for 30 seconds

By the way, the Learn to Run class I attended this past winter suggested I was ready if I could run for one minute. I did it on the treadmill and sure enough, I was able to keep up in class. In eight weeks, I was running for ten minutes sustained. I've gone back to three minutes with rests in between, but I'm running.

• w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I run at around the same pace as you- sometimes. And honestly it took me a while to even get that fast. A 12:00 mile seemed like a fantasy. I've been doing this about a year. A lot of people already made good points so I'm sorry if some of these are repeats:
    - How quickly did you pile on those extra 2 miles? Don't compare yourself to other people or scoff at that- it is a huge increase!
    - Depending on how quickly you did it, it may just be your body not quite ready to do it at the same pace you did a 5k.
    - You may need to hydrate or eat before you go out if you aren't already.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    w117seg wrote: »
    I run at around the same pace as you- sometimes. And honestly it took me a while to even get that fast. A 12:00 mile seemed like a fantasy. I've been doing this about a year. A lot of people already made good points so I'm sorry if some of these are repeats:
    - How quickly did you pile on those extra 2 miles? Don't compare yourself to other people or scoff at that- it is a huge increase!
    - Depending on how quickly you did it, it may just be your body not quite ready to do it at the same pace you did a 5k.

I typically do my runs at 2 - 3 minutes per mile slower than my 5k pace. Nobody should be racking up tons of miles at their top-end speed. Save that stuff for actual races.
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    #1, Yes pacing. Start slow, give your body time to adjust and find its rhythm. Not every run is a race.

#2, I find it incredibly helpful to throw in a very short run once or twice every few weeks. Especially when your motivation is low, it can be really invigorating to run one or two miles and then be done. Running can be a struggle, and you are going to have those runs that you just grit your teeth and grind out. That's normal, but throwing in a few runs that feel easy can give a needed boost of confidence.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on running! 5 miles is an accomplishment!

As a runner I've found that for every great run, where you feel like you can run forever i have 2-3 runs that really feel challenging. Some days are an off day, even if you do everything right.

That being said there are a couple things that you can take a look at that may help narrow down why you're having such a hard time all of a sudden:

What is the weather like in your area? Humidity will make you slower, that is just the way of it. Heat will also cause you to slow down, and one or both can cause what would normally feel fine to feel not so awesome. So make sure you're running during cooler times of the day like in the early mornings or evenings.

Have you increased the distances or frequencies of your runs?/What is your pace? If you went right from 3.2 miles up to 5 miles in a short amount of time that could make things feel not so nice, especially if you try to keep the same pace for a 5 miler that you would run for a 5k. If you went from running twice a week to running every day you could also find that not working so well for your body. I know for me, running 3x per week is about all my body can take on a regular basis. I fill the other days with cross training and strength training to support my running efforts. For longer runs I would also suggest slowing down your pace from what you log for shorter runs.

Have you changed your diet significantly? Since starting your running have you changed your carb/fat/protein ratios? Have you cut your calories back? Have you kept your calorie intake the same as you had when you weren't running? If its a calorie issue you can take a look at your TDEE (the Scooby's Workshop has a calculator online) and make sure you're eating enough etc. You may need more carbs, or more proteins etc. so playing around with your macro ratios could help.

Are you cross training? If your sole exercise is running it may be beneficial to you to begin to incorporate some basic strength training for runners (runnersworld.com has some great information on that), and maybe taking at least one day a week to do some other form of cardio. Sometimes if all you do is run you can create muscle imbalances which can make your body feel a bit beat up. This isn't always true for everyone, but, I think everyone would greatly benefit from incorporating some basic strengthening exercises just to keep everything honky dory.

Are you resting enough? Do you have at least one rest day a week? rest is just as important as your training and mileage when it comes to running. I would also suggest to incorporate some stretching into your routine. I know I feel much better when I run when I've been consistent with my stretching.

Hope some of this helps. And yes, sometimes on some runs you just need to push past a certain point (for me it's usually the first mile) before things sort of even out. But if you're feeling like that for every single run, then it's time to take a look at what you can change.

All of this ^^^

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    w117seg wrote: »

I typically do my runs at 2 - 3 minutes per mile slower than my 5k pace. Nobody should be racking up tons of miles at their top-end speed. Save that stuff for actual races.

+1

Plus, every time I'm tackling a new longest distance, I slow down an additional :30-1:00 or so per mile. Makes sure I'll be able to finish in good form and feeling pretty good, not exhausted.