breaking a 45 min cardio workout in three 15 min sessions the same thing?

Options
So I have started doing fitness blender (youtube) workouts and honestly I have a very poor stamina but I want to burn calories.So if I divide a 45 min cadio workout into 15 min sessions with a 5 min break in between.Am I going to burn the same amount of calories as a person who does the whole workout in one go.
Thank you :)

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Maybe more... maybe less... depends on how intense and the effort you put into the 15 minutes x3 vs. 45 minutes straight. If you have "poor" stamina, maybe get a HR monitor to make sure you aren't overdoing it. Walking is great for weight loss, if you have low stamina.
  • bhanvi
    bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Maybe more... maybe less... depends on how intense and the effort you put into the 15 minutes x3 vs. 45 minutes straight. If you have "poor" stamina, maybe get a HR monitor to make sure you aren't overdoing it. Walking is great for weight loss, if you have low stamina.

Hello...Thank you for the advice.I actually just used to do treadmill but I wanted to try a different workout since walking has become pretty boring now.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Do the things you enjoy. Work up to the 45 minutes, it's fine :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    from a fitness standpoint, it is not the same thing at all....

from a calorie burn standpoint, it would likely be roughly the same.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I agree with this. At this point in my running, a 45-minute run makes me want to punch and kick things, but I don't have the endurance to do it. A 45-minute run broken into 3 15-minute parts with as little as a minute between them is substantially easier. I'm coping with the interval sessions of the C210K app much easier than the endurance ones.

• bhanvi
    Options

Thank you :) yes I wanted to know on the basis of calories burned.As of fitness, I know I am unfit. :D
  • bhanvi
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Don't sweat the small stuff. Do the things you enjoy. Work up to the 45 minutes, it's fine :)
    yess :) thank you.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes this is ok and will help build your stamina more than flailing thru a 45 min season you cannot do successfully. I'm right there with you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I concur with building up stamina.

I too find the treadmill boring and so walk in the woods with my MP3 player.
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters, in that calorie wise, it is likely very close. As long as you are really giving it your best through all 3 intervals. And, as you go along, you can stretch them out to build endurance/"fitness" until you are able to do it in 2 halves, and then the whole thing at once!

The main point is that you're being active, and working up a sweat! Start there and keep going! Good luck!
  • aitapia8
    aitapia8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

This right here.
    Assuming that you keep the intensity during your 15 minute intervals the same as if you would the whole 45 minute workout, then you will use up just about the same amount of energy (calories) no matter how you split it.
    Breaking it up into intervals, however, wouldn't necessarily help you achieve the 45 minute workout.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Second this

I did the same in the beginning when i couldn't exercise. I see nothing wrong with it. but remember to cool and warm up properly. Now 5 minutes in between is not much to cool down and warm up for. Not much harm in it except in colder climates you can cool down (too) quickly. And not being warmed up or stretch enough.
    All depends also what you do for exercise.

So building it up is great way to do it for sure....just keep going and maybe you will get the same thing like me....at one point you have something like...lets get going to that 30 minutes and than take my "break" .....and than it gets 40 and 45 and now i can go for 3 hours if i have and want to :)

Just keep plugging along!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »

Second this

I did the same in the beginning when i couldn't exercise. I see nothing wrong with it. but remember to cool and warm up properly. Now 5 minutes in between is not much to cool down and warm up for. Not much harm in it except in colder climates you can cool down (too) quickly. And not being warmed up or stretch enough.
    All depends also what you do for exercise.

So building it up is great way to do it for sure....just keep going and maybe you will get the same thing like me....at one point you have something like...lets get going to that 30 minutes and than take my "break" .....and than it gets 40 and 45 and now i can go for 3 hours if i have and want to :)

Just keep plugging along!
    That's some good work right there. I don't even like driving for three hours. There is no scenario not involving the death of a loved one that would make me run for three hours.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    heheehe i cant run for 5 minutes rofl

But last week i had my own swimming ( 60 minutes) Some stepping ( low impact nothing major) for about 45 minutes in between twice teaching some ladies pool exercising for about 40 minutes :) Low impact again.

I was tired...shattered but did it...Normally these things are split up but it just happened..i normally exercise with them..but with arriving i was alone and did my "thing" lol
    When done some ladies came in and asked if i wanted to teach now and not the day after...so i was oke lets see were this goes
    And in the meantime the other ladies arrived rofl so we glued that one after the first "ladies hour"

when you would have said i could do this 10 months ago i would not believed it anymore....Years ago yes when i was fit
    I was teaching the whole day if i had to. But after my injury ...nope

But as you see i did it and so will the OP when she sticks to what she is doing.
    You will get fun it in...you will get fitter all the way...it takes time...But maybe just like me, you will get grumpy on your rest days and wanting to go and "do it"!

:) So yes just keep plugging along!

• Saraw0520
    Saraw0520 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    From a fitness perspective keep it up! you are doing great just by dong it, even if it is broken up. Now that said, the calorie burning aspect can't be compared to others since there are numerous factors to consider. A person who is identical to you in height and weight may burn slightly more by doing it straight through, but a person your height yet higher weight will burn more, or a person lower weight will burn less. Also whether a person male or female plays a role in calorie burn too... I say just do it and enjoy for the fitness benefits!!
  • bhanvi
    Options
    Thank you so mivh everyone for the wonderful advice. :) I would keep doing it until I build the stamina to do it at once.
    All the very best to all of you for your fitness journey. :)