Low Carb Backfire?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If it were me, I'd also be pondering if you want to distinguish between the carbs in vegetables, tubers, legumes, and those from grains that are heavily refined, and stripped of their natural fiber and nutrients (aka store bought bread and baked goods). My body reacts to whole plant foods very differently than heavily refined carbs. My body tolerates whole grains more than heavily refined ones, even.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    I think you might need to take a step back and assess why you want to do low carb, and is it worth it to you. List out the pros and cons. You can lose weight well doing low carb, or full carb. Whatever you choose, you need to make sure it fits your wants, needs, and lifestyle well. And that it's something you can sustain for the rest of your life. Whatever you do to lose the weight, you need to be able to do forever to keep if off .
    This isn't quite accurate. Many people take one approach to lose weight and another for maintenance, but yes, she needs to do something that fits her lifestyle, and then have a PLAN for maintenance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Low carb - body depletes glycogen stores and associated water weight (each 1g of glycogen attached to 3-4g water)

Eat carbs and boom glycogen stores (because that's how the body works) and associated water weight

If you want to go from low carb to "normal" style of eating you need to slowly build carbs back up to avoid big weight whoosh ...or ignore scale weight because it means little

Low carb is a route to calorie defecit

It's not magic
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    I think you might need to take a step back and assess why you want to do low carb, and is it worth it to you. List out the pros and cons. You can lose weight well doing low carb, or full carb. Whatever you choose, you need to make sure it fits your wants, needs, and lifestyle well. And that it's something you can sustain for the rest of your life. Whatever you do to lose the weight, you need to be able to do forever to keep if off .
    This isn't quite accurate. Many people take one approach to lose weight and another for maintenance, but yes, she needs to do something that fits her lifestyle, and then have a PLAN for maintenance.

Fair enough. I shouldn't have stated it in such absolutes. I guess I just see so much of plan A to lose weight and plan B to keep it off, but plan B doesn't work well because it's a new plan with new kinks, and there is very little margin for error in maintenance. Tons of people have a really strict losing plan that isn't sustainable, so they really go backwards when they hit goal and can "eat again". I personally yo-yo'd this way through a whole decade.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Professor Ken Sidari near the end talks about how 5% of the population may be at risk from very LCHF diet. He does list the test one can take to see if LCHF may potentially put a person at risk.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MXkE8_NdAyQ
  • sheryl792
    sheryl792 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback... and when I said gaining muscle I didn't mean all the weight was muscle. I am happy to say that I have lost more than 2% body weight this month which doesn't seem like a lot but I'm only a size 6-8.

Low carb - I should have said I was very limited on starchy carbs which I'm trying to work in.

Clean eating comments - yes it has to do with how food is processed. I think it's a state of mind in eating healthy also.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    sheryl792 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback and the back/forth on details. I am pretty much down to my weight a week ago but guess I need to find the balance to have a 'cheat day' and not gain 10 lbs of water weight.

I am teetering between doing a calorie deficit and eating more protein to gain muscle and loose weight (as Josh notes).

I'm not new to working out or eating healthy ... it is a balanced science of knowing what works for YOUR body as I would guess everyone could agree on, right?!?!?

Any suggestions on finding a balance between having a cheat day and paying a week for it in loosing water weight I appreciate the suggestions to try. Thanks!!

That's the problem with low carbing... if you have a cheat day, you're most likely gonna eat carbs and then kick yourself out of ketosis and gain back water weight.

Here's my suggestion

Stop low carbing

To an alcoholic: don't be so irrational! one small drink won't hurt you!

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sheryl792 wrote: »
    Clean eating comments - yes it has to do with how food is processed. I think it's a state of mind in eating healthy also.

So back to the previous question - how is ground turkey "processed" differently such that it is clean and ground beef isn't?

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    40% carbs/30%protein/30% fats is what I follow most of the time. I think its a good ratio to adhere to. I also don't eat "clean" but I try to stay away from most unprocessed foods and cook at home 90% of the time. I incorporate lots of lean meats and veggies but I eat treats every single day too.

I don't like ANY strict diets and I feel like they set you up for failure. Moderation!

Edited to say: One meal a week I eat and drink WHATEVER I want. I also stay active in the gym, about 4-5x a week.