When to weigh food?

Before or after you cook it? Bacon for example, is very heavy before it's cooked and super light after. When am I supposed to weigh the food I enter?

Replies

• moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    You're supposed to weigh all meats raw (before cooking).
    It's funny you mention bacon though because on the kind I buy (some kind by Tyson) it tells you how much bacon should weigh after you cook it. So typically raw, but you can take a look at the nutrition label, too, and see if they came up with some random nonsense.
    Also as a general rule of thumb, always weigh everything if you want to try and be as accurate as possible.
  • NeverGiveUpKMV
    NeverGiveUpKMV Posts: 36 Member
    I would say after. MFP does give the values for both raw and uncooked food, so just make sure you're searching for the right version :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Before whenever possible. But as mentioned above whichever way you chose be sure to use the entry that corresponds to the way you used.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited August 2015
    It won't make any difference if you're consistent and choose the corresponding entry (raw or cooked). Most of mine is after just because I rarely eat the full piece so I need the cooked weight to divide out my portion. Didn't affect my deficit and hasn't affected my maintenance.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I measure after cooking