Going from confident lifter to rookie lifter dread!

Options
I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week for the last year. 1st September will be my anniversary.

To help you understand me, I like having a plan. I like going to gym and knowing what I am going to be doing each time. I have got used to the routines of the regulars that go at the same time I do in as much as I know who is likely to use the same stuff as me. I don't really pay attention to the stuff I don't use.

I follow bodybuilding.com on Twitter and I recently saw a great upper body routine posted. I then hunted around and found a great lower body routine and all over routine. I toyed with the idea of doing 1 day upper, 1 day lower, 1 day upper, 2 day lower, 1 day all over then rest 2 days.

Then it happened. I started to think about the routines and how they would work in my gym set up. Then I got that dread feeling of not knowing what I was doing, how I would work in with others! Also, 5x5 is nice and simple whereas these new ones are more complicated than I'm used to and I'd have to start from scratch to find the weight I am comfortable with...THEN I started to think, if it ain't broke don't fix it and who am I to put these things together and expect results. I got a little overwhelmed I won't lie.

I know the worst that could happen is that I try it for a month (not sure if that's long enough to form an opinion) don't like it and go back to Stronglifts. But the strongest feeling is the dread of feeling like a rookie all over again.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think you're thinking too much...
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think you may be right....doh! There I go again!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

agreed, you shouldn't be feeling like a rookie after 3 years. Hell, I've only been lifting for 2 years and I run my gym like a boss...
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

agreed, you shouldn't be feeling like a rookie after 3 years. Hell, I've only been lifting for 2 years and I run my gym like a boss...

Just 1 year, not 3, but I still don't feel like a boss that's for sure. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Just 1 year, not 3, but I still don't feel like a boss that's for sure. :)

I misread :( Sorry about that. 3 times a week for a year.... either way, I was being a bit sarcastic as I don't run anything...lol, but I'm definitely never uncomfortable.

I guess I would say to trust your knowledge and know that you DO know what you are doing. I rotate gyms and the weights don't always line up at each place so even now I still have to "fiddle" with what is correct. I also still almost always do a very light set of whatever I am doing to get the form down before I grab heavier weight. It's no biggie. People don't care, and just know that you will feel 100% comfortable in a matter of a few times going in there with your new routine.
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    I have a week of holiday in Sept, I may wait till then so I can go during the day at a quiet time!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I always go to the gym with a plan. I keep a lifting log and generally know what body part I will be working that day. When I am on the road and I first started going to 24s that I was not familiar with I used to get anxious but I just told myself go in with a plan, execute it and don't pay attention to anyone else cause they have no idea it's not my home gym and no one cares what I am doing anyway. I'm not familiar with Stronglifts but I know I would be bored if I didn't switch it up a year in.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Like going to a new job or school, apprehension is normal. You'll be fine if you don't get all paranoid. You'll see that there are still lots of people in the gym who have some odd workouts, but they still do them. No one knows your routine, so they'll just think you're just working out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mistraal1981
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh man don't let me be that person who people look at and wonder what the hell I'm doing!! There is also the doubt that the exercises I am doing are cobbled together and not part of a proper programme. Is this a bad idea?

I like the compounds of 5x5 low rep, heavy weight and want to still do squats, bench and deadlifts, but add them in to the 3 different programmes I'd do which are more isolation focused with lighter weights and a higher rep range.
  • Mistraal1981
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Quick update for all you Pals who I know are on the edge of your seats chewing at fingernails with concern over whether or not I switched up my programme.../drum roll.....

Yesterday I went and did a lower body programme and today (after hobbling out of bed feeling sure my glutes were about to explode) I went and did an upper body programme. It all went fine and I learned I really need to get a grip!! (Not just the deadlift kind!) :smiley:

It was fun doing something different and was a kick in the pants to re-focus and tighten up logging again.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in keeping your power lifts up but adding a good deal of hypertrophy, have you looked into PHAT or PHUL? I need a solid plan too but get a bit of anxiety creating my own program. At least these are already laid out for you and they are both very very good.
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If you're interested in keeping your power lifts up but adding a good deal of hypertrophy, have you looked into PHAT or PHUL? I need a solid plan too but get a bit of anxiety creating my own program. At least these are already laid out for you and they are both very very good.

Oh brilliant! Thank you arditarose. I hadn't heard of these. Just looked at PHUL and it looks like a great balance between my beloved compounds and new and exciting isolation type work.