confused and frustrated

Options

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    One, most people don't log exercise of things that are daily activities. So unless your job is a professional cleaner then it is just daily activity. Sex is also (let's hope) a daily activity. You log purposeful exercise outside of daily activities. Those daily activities are already counted in your MFP calorie goal. Simple as that. No one is harassing you telling you so.

Secondly...the things you are logging aren't accurate calorie burns. You aren't burning 1000 calories in your cleaning session....or 500 for a swim or 300 for having sex. It's a bloated burn. If you really think you are burning those calories and eating accordingly...no wonder you are having a bad time.

Play the victim all you want, but people are trying to help you. You're doing it wrong. You can say you are not, but when you step on the scale and you aren't losing the weight...that is the judgment right there. You asked for help as to why you aren't losing weight. People answered. I'd suggest you listen, but do what you want to do.

People actually flagged this?

If you get given advice that is valid = flags????

Shell's advice was honest and cut right to the chase.. but nevertheless, let's flag it right? -_-

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Let me be clear. I came here for support. I did NOT come here to be harassed because you think calories are not burned in sex or house cleaning. There is nothing unreasonable about logging calorie burn for whatever you do. Will you next harass me for logging a walk? If so, harass someone else. I WILL NOT hear it. If you can't say something nice or supportive, then keep your mouth shut.

Carlana,

People are giving you support by telling you the truth. I thought you came here with an honest question for honest answers. That's what you are getting.

Science is mandated by evidence, and the evidence shows that you are unintentionally eating more than your realize by possibly unintentionally underestimating food intake and overestimating calories burned. It's okay, though, because we've all done that.

While your deficit is already built in when MFP renders your number of calories to lose weight, this does not mean you eat back exercise calories for regular activity. You just eat back your cardio calories and everything else is included in your activity level. In other words, house cleaning, sex, short little walks, weight lifting, are not included. The only thing you count is that cardio, and you should only eat about 75 percent of those back anyway.

I think you said you have a heart rate monitor too. I love min and use it for all my cardio exercise. Nothing else, unless I am keeping track of time I am working out, because non-cardio calories are too difficult to figure out.

I encourage you to do an experiment. For two weeks, weigh your portions, log every single thing you eat, count nothing as extra calories to eat back except for cardio, and see how you do. Prove all of us non-supportive people wrong.

The only reason I share this with you is because I remember a time when I was in the same place as you and refused to acknowledge that my weight gain was from too much food. In fact, I was convinced that I had something wrong with me and was ready to buy some green tea pills to help me lose weight. I never bought the pills, but got serious and looked at my eating habits and started working on striving for accuracy in both calories in/calories out.

You can do this, I know you can.

I apologize in advance if you believe I am not being supportive and, no, I will not keep my mouth shut. :)
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    You don't have to be excessively out of breath for it to count as exercise, but a 30 minute walk without stopping is more exercise than a 30 minute sex session where, realistically, both partners are taking turns moving, taking breaks, and not constantly having sex with one person doing the work the entire time.

Wait - what if both people are "doing the work" the entire time? Your sex isn't at least as vigorous as walking the dog?

/end smart *kitten* (but really, if you are taking turns "doing the work" you might be missing out on something good)

There are some valid points to consider. The main answer that seems to be readily available is that you must be logging something wrong. I've seen other posts tonight discussing plateaus that are months long, it happens. I don't think it means you must be doing something wrong, but you need to be honest with yourself. Are you cutting corners anywhere, or "forgetting" to log a snack so that your log comes out right? If so, that could be a problem. You are really the only one that knows how good your log is.

Another possibility is that your body is just readjusting, and you might go through the plateau, then drop stage. Where your weight seems to level off, then your body loses a bunch at once.

Yet another possibility, is that you might not actually be in a plateau. Sometimes it's hard to see, because of normal daily fluctuations in water weight, food/waste volume, etc. Chances are, your weight hasn't been *exactly* the same for the last two weeks. I use a website www.trendweight.com to keep track of my weight. It averages my daily weight out, so that the normal fluctuations don't look so scary. I might be losing weight, and not realize it because of the way the daily fluctuations happen.

Let me double check - you also said two weeks worth, right? Maybe you have unrealistic expectations. How much weight did you expect to see over two weeks? Where in your cycle did these two weeks fall? I know there is a week in my cycle where I normally gain a little, then it comes off in the next couple weeks.

Do you feel absurdly hungry at the end of the day constantly? Is there a noticeable decrease in your energy? How close is your target to what mfp suggested? Is your activity level set appropriately? If you like to log lots of activity, your activity level should probably be set to sedentary, because if you say you are active, then mfp already assumes many of those calories burned in your goal. If you are somewhat close to the mfp suggested values, I would suggest that you wait out the "plateau" and not try to increase your calories. If you are way off from what they suggested, again, you need to be honest with yourself. There really are reasons behind the suggestions. It's not a totally random number. You might have a valid reason to shift dramatically from that, but if you are set drastically high, or drastically low, its just going to mess with your body.

Slow and steady wins the race.

• CarlanaVanHouten
    CarlanaVanHouten Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to sedentary because - with a few exceptions - my job just has me sitting a lot. I did just spend 97 minutes cleaning someone's house and my HRM said I burned 538 calories doing so. Also, when it comes to sex, there is little in the way of taking turns and usually I work with him. Too, what I recorded was an estimate I got online. I only got my HRM last night, so before that I was depending on what this website was saying for calorie burn. I've been weighing what I cook for myself, and if it has a barcode, I scan it. I weigh in on e a week because of those fluctuations.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    My activity level is set to sedentary because - with a few exceptions - my job just has me sitting a lot. I did just spend 97 minutes cleaning someone's house and my HRM said I burned 538 calories doing so. Also, when it comes to sex, there is little in the way of taking turns and usually I work with him. Too, what I recorded was an estimate I got online. I only got my HRM last night, so before that I was depending on what this website was saying for calorie burn. I've been weighing what I cook for myself, and if it has a barcode, I scan it. I weigh in on e a week because of those fluctuations.

Carlana,

Please hear this: anything other than cardio is included in your activity level. If you feel you are more active than sedentary, then raise your activity level a notch. I guarantee you that amount will be way less than the calories you are counting for sex and house cleaning and other commonplace activities that are not cardio.

Really, it doesn't matter how you're doing the sex, the fact is that it is not meant to be counted as extra. The only reason it's in the database is because someone put it in there who didn't realize it's part of your normal activity.

If you want to lose weight you need to pay attention to these things, and to people in this conversation who are telling you the truth.

Just try for two weeks what I suggested upstream.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to sedentary I only got my HRM last night, so before that I was depending on what this website was saying for calorie burn.
    Try entering in only deliberate aerobic exercises that you are doing to accelerate weight loss or things that you would not do for any other reason than weight loss. For example I walked nearly 5 miles today but less than 2 of those were deliberate aerobic exercise those 2 are the only ones I logged as exercise. The other three are part of my sedentary lifestyle.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    So when you know it all better than the advice givin here..go on :)

good luck i know you can do it! B)
  • CarlanaVanHouten
    CarlanaVanHouten Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using my HRM to determine my calorie burn rather than the database, but I did just start today with it. When I record my activity, I adjust the calories burned to match the HRM. However, I will also try adjusting my activity level. My morning shift is mostly sedentary, but any extras I get usually have a bit more to do.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You can argue and try to fool yourself with the logging, but at the end of the day you cannot fool the scale.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using my HRM to determine my calorie burn rather than the database, but I did just start today with it. When I record my activity, I adjust the calories burned to match the HRM. However, I will also try adjusting my activity level. My morning shift is mostly sedentary, but any extras I get usually have a bit more to do.

That's great that you have a HRM now. Just be aware that they're designed for steady state cardio and aren't 100% accurate with calorie burn. I try not to eat back all my exercise calories to give myself a cushion for error. I have one and I don't wear it while doing chores, general walking around etc because calories burnt during that are already accounted for by MFP. So if you wore it just sitting on the couch for a few hours it would tell you that you'd burnt a few hundred calories. I would recommend only wearing it for deliberate periods of exercise. The sedentary setting on MFP still assumes you walk around, do activities of daily life etc, as opposed to being in a coma.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

First I am sorry that I offended you. Perhaps I am more direct that you would like, and I am sorry if this comes off as rude, but I am trying to help. I am open to honest advice myself when facing problems, and try to see it as "change this to get to your goals", not judgement. We are all here to get in better shape or improve health, and advice is part of this.
    HRM are designed to monitor your heart rate. Which has some correlation to calories burned, but not always. If you go for a jog or a long walk, the correlation is better. If you are doing everyday activities, chances are the numbers you are getting are pretty much nonsense.
    When it comes to activity levels, unless you move around a lot, you are sedentary. I know it is a "harsh" thing, having to accept we are sedentary, it is hard for me too. But, the average person with a desk job, who does the normal chores and life activities, like spend an hour cleaning or an hour washing the dishes or an hour rearranging the furniture, or take the dog for a walk around the block, or even all these in a day, is sedentary when it comes to how MFP defines calorie goals. Lightly active is a person doing lots of things on their feet (e.g. a teacher walking around the classroom all day) or a person who does at least 30 minutes intentional aerobic exercise per day (and then of course does not log it).
    In the end, your scale is telling you the truth: you are eating at maintenance. It is frustrating, it is annoying, but you either accept you will remain where you are, or will have to eat less calories.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options

HI Carlana,

Using a heart rate monitor is good, but make sure it's calibrated properly or you'll get some wonky readings. A heart rate monitor works for cardio activities only. Everything else is included in your activity level.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

HI Carlana,

Using a heart rate monitor is good, but make sure it's calibrated properly or you'll get some wonky readings. A heart rate monitor works for cardio activities only. Everything else is included in your activity level.

Clarification: HRMs are designed for steady-state cardio, which means you're maintaining your heart rate at the same level for a period of time. Sex, cleaning, etc. doesn't do this. There are too many fluctuations in your level of exertion.

OP - even at sedentary settings, a basic amount of movement is factored into your calorie goal. The things you are listing are part of that. If you feel that they're not, you might want to bump your level up to lightly active. However, adding a burn for everthing you do is counterproductive.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

HI Carlana,

Clarification: HRMs are designed for steady-state cardio, which means you're maintaining your heart rate at the same level for a period of time. Sex, cleaning, etc. doesn't do this. There are too many fluctuations in your level of exertion.

OP - even at sedentary settings, a basic amount of movement is factored into your calorie goal. The things you are listing are part of that. If you feel that they're not, you might want to bump your level up to lightly active. However, adding a burn for everthing you do is counterproductive.

This too. :)
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Just a final heads up since you are just starting the HRM today...... It is my understanding and someone please correct me if I am wrong , but usually the first 3500 -5000 steps or so registered is already included in the'sedentary' activity setting so don't be surprised by that. This again goes to the theory that a certain amount of every day living activity is already included in the deficit, so after you hit that number the"Intentional" extra exercise activity is what you get for your calorie burn regardless of what that cardio activity might be. Best wishes
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Just a final heads up since you are just starting the HRM today...... It is my understanding and someone please correct me if I am wrong , but usually the first 3500 -5000 steps or so registered is already included in the'sedentary' activity setting so don't be surprised by that. This again goes to the theory that a certain amount of every day living activity is already included in the deficit, so after you hit that number the"Intentional" extra exercise activity is what you get for your calorie burn regardless of what that cardio activity might be. Best wishes

This is true. I have a Vivofit and if I don't hit 3000+ steps a day I get a negative calorie adjustment (a setting you have to opt into). So if you are not tracking steps then logging cleaning and sex is double dipping.

I have an HRM, I only use it for cardio and only eat most of the calories from my running as that is pretty reliable. Anything else I eat maybe 50%. I do not use it for anything other than deliberate exertion through exercise.

By adding all these extra activities and eating back all of the calories you've supposedly burned you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Sure it's nice to feel like you've worked hard and deserve some extra food but the reality is that it will hurt your efforts to lose weight.

No-one is harassing you (you need to check the definition of that word, you're using it incredibly erroneously), they're being honest and offering advice based on their own success and experience. Taking the advice will only benefit you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you want to be able to monitor burn from daily activities like walking around and cleaning, something like a Fitbit would be the best way.

Otherwise, I'd think it makes more sense to pick an activity level (lightly active or moderately active) and try it for a while and then adjust based on results. Then log any intentional exercise (steady-state cardio with HRM).

When I was actively losing I figured out my daily activity was lightly active and never logged walking or cleaning or stuff -- if I did a bit extra one day I figured that was bonus and would cover any days where I was less active. I'd eat most of my calories from runs (since you can get reliable running estimates, less so for longer runs, though, so I'd not eat all of those) and cut MFP's estimates for most other things by 25-50%, depending on what it was.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP ask for help.
    OP given great help.
    OP doesn't like the advice and knows everything.

OP good luck. B)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Please do keep in mind that an HRM will only give remotely accurate calorie counts for steady state cardio such as jogging, cycling, elliptical...etc. Using it for things like cleaning and sex will not be even remotely accurate and will give you super inflated numbers. That's just the way the math formula in them is designed. Remember, first and foremost, an HRM is just that - a Heart Rate Monitor - and is mainly used for training purposes. Heart rate is NOT directly related to calorie burns so using it outside of the parameters it is programmed with (ie anything that isn't steady state cardio) will provide inflated numbers.