The famous question ☺️

Options
how many calories do you eat to maintain your weight range? I know it's by trial and error. I'm 5' 10" and about 128-130. I have multiple chronic illnesses that restrict my diet and exercise but I'm fighting hard. I have been making a conscious effort to eat sufficient protein as I have been lacking..

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It mostly depends on your activity level.
    I'm 5'10, 145 lbs and maintain at a TDEE of 2200. That is including my light active activity level and my exercise calories for 2 to 3 workouts a week.
    Finding it truly is trial and error. Best thing you can do is eat the number MFP gives you and see what that does on the scale after eating that for a while.
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It is the famous question!
    I am 5' 9", range between 156 and 161 lbs. I started maintenance when I reached 160. I have been attempting to maintain for about 2 months now and still not exactly sure of my maintenance calories.

I take between 80,000 and 120,000 steps a week, some of that is running. Based on sedentary office job and that level of activity, my TDEE is estimated at 2400. My FitBit would give me between 2100 and 3000, depending on whether I worked out or not. I've not looked closely enough at my data yet (waiting for a few weeks worth), but I aim to average 2200/day at the moment (less during the week and cutting loose a bit at the weekend). Seems to be working ok so far...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm supposed to be eating about 2,300 without exercise and it tops out over 3,000 on some days when I do exercise. So far, I've just been eating what I feel like, but not going over those numbers. I'm relying on the bathroom scale to keep me honest.
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You should have a pretty good idea of your TDEE from the time you spent counting calories when you were losing. If you were losing a pound a week when you were losing, add 500 calories back. If you were losing half a pound a week, add 250 calories back. MFP should calculate this number for you. If you ate what MFP told you to eat, and lost what it told you you should lose - their numbers are accurate for you. If not, make the same adjustments you made when you were losing.

This is why a lot of people recommend slowing down the last handful of pound so you can transition into maintenance, and figure out the numbers better.