Protein powder rec (IBS)?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
Are any of them
1) not terrible for IBS
2) low-enough cal, not too many fillers and
3) tasty (prefer vanilla if anything, prefer not to taste it at all actually)?

Replies

• tomatoey
    Options
    Still looking

Also - is there one without stevia? I was overwhelmed with options at the store, and got some Vega Protein & Greens (vanilla). Checked reviews (haven't opened it) - turns out it has stevia. Which I actually haven't tried, but I have a feeling I'd hate it, based on reviews (not a fan of super sweet stuff).

I've tried an unsweetened brand in the past (can't remember which) and it was horrible in taste - also had a bad reaction to it (digestion). I think it was whey something. I also didn't like a soy product (same reaction).

I saw Now at the store, is that good? Also saw
    Pea, hemp, rice, lots of "New Zealand whey isolate". Lots of whey isolate; no casein.

Re IBS - I'm usually ok with dairy stuff, but again, had a bad time with that whey protein I tried. It's stuff with fructose and gluten that usually gets me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    These are the two that I use that have ONE ingredient:
    Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds (the only ingredient is hemp seed -- tastes great)
    Nutribiotic Organic Rice Protein (the only ingredient is rice -- tastes plain so I mix it with something or put in a smoothie.)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    There is an unflavored, natural whey isolate made by Now Nutrition. It's excellent! The only one I ve found without all the junk fillers/sweeteners in it.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    PES Select or XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 would be my first recs given your preferences.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I buy "nutrabiotic vanilla rice protien" off of amazon. Its 60 calories for 15g, and the ingredients list is short. Doesnt upset my stomach, and they do have a plain one too. However, it doesnt have the smoothest blend out there. I use it in oatmeal/rice pudding, happily. But for drinking it is a bit grainy.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    These are the two that I use that have ONE ingredient:
    Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds (the only ingredient is hemp seed -- tastes great)
    Nutribiotic Organic Rice Protein (the only ingredient is rice -- tastes plain so I mix it with something or put in a smoothie.)

Thanks, RodaRose! I did see the Manitoba product at the health food store - glad to hear it tastes good!
    I buy "nutrabiotic vanilla rice protien" off of amazon. Its 60 calories for 15g, and the ingredients list is short. Doesnt upset my stomach, and they do have a plain one too. However, it doesnt have the smoothest blend out there. I use it in oatmeal/rice pudding, happily. But for drinking it is a bit grainy.

Two recs for nutribiotic - good to hear, thank you! I appreciate the comment about texture, that matters. Grainy is ok, I have added flax seeds before and that wasn't too bad. (Is that similar)
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    There is an unflavored, natural whey isolate made by Now Nutrition. It's excellent! The only one I ve found without all the junk fillers/sweeteners in it.

I've seen a lot of good reviews for the unflavoured Now product, thank you! I'd have to make it taste good, though, and I'm fairly picky - a lot of the positive reviews were on bodybuilding.com, where people are generally less exacting wrt the taste of products as long as said products offer gainz... how does it taste in a smoothie?
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    PES Select or XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 would be my first recs given your preferences.
    I know you're a chef and knowledgeable about nutrition for fitness. Answer is weighted accordingly :)

Thanks so much everyone!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    copying and pasting from a later thread (referencing this one), just for anyone searching. Context is: I tried a Stevia flavoured powder (Vega One) and hated it beyond measure

So following on from the excellent advice in this post (with special props to @RodaRose ), and after some more research, I went with UNFLAVOURED Heartland Gold Brown Rice Protein, which was the unflavoured rice protein available in my local brick & mortar health food store. (I am too impatient to do online & resent shipping fees). I am SO MUCH happier with the taste. It's a wee bit grainy but I'll go for "grainy & earthy" 1 million times over "poisony". It's fine, it's adaptable. I put it in some almond milk with frozen blueberries, very nice.

Why I went with rice protein:
    - whey isolate etc is murder on my digestive system (although I can have dairy, who knows why)
    - this is easy to digest (IBS)
    - compared to other vegan proteins, it is more bioavailable (i.e. more so than hemp, but less bioavailable than pea i think), has a better calorie:protein ratio than hemp, at least in the formulations I saw (although equal I think to pea), and is more versatile in terms of taste (pea protein apparently tastes quite pea-like; a few suggested using it in savoury things like tomato juice, but this rice stuff will go ok in this almond drink, hot breakfast cereals, etc). I like the nutty flavour and don't mind the graininess (a complaint I've seen). I think it's not that bad, actually.

Downsides with pea and rice were the possibility of metals (& arsenic) if harvested in more polluted places… but there's just no winning, some kind of compromise has to be made. Wow ok so I am really going with the chance of *actual* poison over something that *tastes like* poison. Take note, Vega!!!!

I'll update with info on how it's going down in my guts.

I don't know why this is randomly italicizing - figured it out, square brackets.

NB: there is a vanilla flavour of this Heartland Gold Brown Rice but it uses Stevia.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I hope that this one works for you. :) It is true about the grainy ness. But at least the taste is tolerable (unlike the pea).
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The best (I happen to use for same reasons) is the "NOW" brand, Natural, Unflavored, Whey Isolate. Just add a little Stevia (liquid form best - not bitter), and if you need any flavor Frozen Blueberries are great!
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Orgain Organic Powder or Meal Powder. Tastes great :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I hope that this one works for you. :) It is true about the grainy ness. But at least the taste is tolerable (unlike the pea).

Thank you :) Totally tolerable, reminds me of flaxseeds (which I like in oatmeal) :)
    lingo10 wrote: »
    Orgain Organic Powder or Meal Powder. Tastes great :)

Will consider that one next time! If it's in the store on the day I go, ha :)