Not hungry after a hard workout?

Options
I am trying to lose weight, but have found the weird problem that I don't have an appetite after my boot camp class in the evening, so I've ended up just not having dinner. If I don't go to boot camp, my appetite is normal. Isn't this the opposite of how it should be? Boot camp is a really hard workout. Am I just feeling full from chugging water during the class?

Should I have a protein shake or something? I've been trying to avoid any food that I don't make fresh myself. I do make smoothies but they end up only being like 200 calories even after I put ground flaxseed in them, and I'm not really hungry for that after my workout either.

Right now I'm only at 818 calories for the day and that's too low, but I really don't want to force myself to eat something. I'd rather just chug a protein shake and meet my goals. : /

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    If your not hungry after boot camp, eat more during the day?

What are you eating? Diet/low fat versions of things? Try some full fat or normal versions, more calories for same volume.

I don't think a protein shake would be enough. 1200 minimum and you only getting to 800? What sort of protein shakes are 400+, then you have exercise calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorically dense foods earlier in the day.
  • bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm making mostly stuff I cook at home, which I guess is the problem because it's just so much less calorific than the processed, takeout foods I used to eat. I can have basically the same meal I would have ordered as takeout but you know how takeout/prepared foods can just have astronomical calories (like how does Starbucks make a slice of lemon cake that's 500 calories??) or just be huge portions. So I feel like I'm eating the same, but it's actually less.

I've been having a smoothie (with avocado and ground flaxseed for healthy fat) in the morning, and then chicken, sweet potato and greens (with butter, sometimes) for lunch. I eat 4 squares of Cadbury's chocolate almost every day as a snack.

Also, I have to be at work by 7 a.m. at the latest so I don't have that much time to eat a big breakfast in the morning or do much more than chug a smoothie. And then I only get 20 minutes for lunch at my work and that's not enough time to eat a big lunch either. (Yeah, the 20 minute lunch is legal, even though it shouldn't be. I'm salaried, I guess that's why because hourly employees get half an hour.)

The eating more during the day is a good idea, though. Do you think it's okay for me to get all my daily calories by like 1 p.m.?
  • bkate24
    Options
    Also, I'm basically at my fat goal for the day (41/46 grams) so I don't want to eat tons of fat . . . that doesn't seem like it will get me the right nutrition even though I know fat isn't bad.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's odd at all. I tend to not be hungry after lifting. What you should try is eating a larger breakfast and lunch. Shoot to have consumed about 2/3 of your daily calorie total before dinmer on bootcamp days. Hopefully you're eating more than 1200 cal/day.

Fat free greek yogurt is a great idea also.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Not odd to me. I have the same experience; after a particularly intense training session on the ice I'm often not hungry. It's fine; I eat a little extra the next day. I guess I do a sort of informal IF?
  • Merkavar
    Options
    bkate24 wrote: »

The eating more during the day is a good idea, though. Do you think it's okay for me to get all my daily calories by like 1 p.m.?

Doesn't matter when you eat as far as I'm aware.

People eat 1 large meal, some eat 6 small ones.

Are you weighing your food, logging accirately, you may be eating more or less than you think.
  • bkate24
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Are you weighing your food, logging accirately, you may be eating more or less than you think.

Yes, I weigh my food very carefully, as I am just that kind of OCD type person (except the rare occasions when I eat out with friends, you can only do your best with those)! Weight loss is not a problem, it is happening at the right rate for me when my total weight loss goal was 22 lbs (lost 8 lbs since the last days of June). It's just that I feel bad/weird for not eating dinner.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Yes, I weigh my food very carefully, as I am just that kind of OCD type person (except the rare occasions when I eat out with friends, you can only do your best with those)! Weight loss is not a problem, it is happening at the right rate for me when my total weight loss goal was 22 lbs (lost 8 lbs since the last days of June). It's just that I feel bad/weird for not eating dinner.

So your weightloss is happening at the rate your expecting? The rate you have set as your goal?

But your only eating 800? How many days a week are you eating at 800? On other days are you over eating so for the week you even out?

See I would have expected you to be losing too fast? What's your weekly goal set to?
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner about two hours before my evening workouts. I also lose my appetite after workouts.
  • bkate24
    Options
    I'm not eating 800 every day! Like I said up top, it's only when I go to my fitness class, which is fairly recent, and I'm trying to figure out a way to not do that. It does even out because I eat more when I want. A lot of days I'm at 1400.