Trouble running after first long race

Options
I'm starting the 8th week of couch to 5k - I've been doing well with the program and since I haven't needed to walk through any of the run segments, I haven't repeated any days. Two days ago, I ran in my first race, which was 3.5 miles. I completed it without walking with a time of 45:09 (proudest moment ever, after the births of my daughters!). It wasn't fast, but it wasn't walking either.

Up until that point, my longest running stretch in c25k, was 27 minutes. I took yesterday off, and went out tonight to do my normal run. I made it 7 minutes, and completely pooped out. Hit a wall. I compensated throughout the rest of the workout by doing a cycle of walking for a couple of minutes, then sprinting for one minute.

When I was getting ready to go out, I was joking that after 45 minutes, running for 28 would be a breeze. Is it normal to have a hard time getting back in the swing of things after a long run? As a beginner, I mean? I'm hoping when I go out on Saturday that it will be back to business.

Replies

• moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the 8th week of couch to 5k - I've been doing well with the program and since I haven't needed to walk through any of the run segments, I haven't repeated any days. Two days ago, I ran in my first race, which was 3.5 miles. I completed it without walking with a time of 45:09 (proudest moment ever, after the births of my daughters!). It wasn't fast, but it wasn't walking either.

Up until that point, my longest running stretch in c25k, was 27 minutes. I took yesterday off, and went out tonight to do my normal run. I made it 7 minutes, and completely pooped out. Hit a wall. I compensated throughout the rest of the workout by doing a cycle of walking for a couple of minutes, then sprinting for one minute.

When I was getting ready to go out, I was joking that after 45 minutes, running for 28 would be a breeze. Is it normal to have a hard time getting back in the swing of things after a long run? As a beginner, I mean? I'm hoping when I go out on Saturday that it will be back to business.

it can be. Don't sweat it. If it continues for a few days, then start looking at what else you're doing... are you eating too little to fuel your running? Did you start running faster during your workouts because you're more confident after your race?

You probably did the right thing by finishing your workout with intervals. In fact, if you're not already including intervals, you should add one day of intervals to your running workouts.

Great job on your 3.5 miler! Stay out there and keep up the good work!
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    great job!! what a success!! i think this is normal--i experienced this after my 1st race! your legs should come back in a couple days! don't sweat it!! listen to your body! u run very different in training vs a race--so take is easy and you'll be back at it in no time!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I was new to running in march 2010 and ran my first race a 12k in may. I was ready trained and ran the whole thing. I felt I did we'll and was ready to keep running. I waited until the following Wednesday after a Sunday race to run again. I went out and a mile into the run, fell face forward in a cross walk. I asked a runner forum and apparently I was more tired and spent then I had guessed. Almost double your time is really a stretch. Take a few days get back into running walking. And remember the first mile is always the hardest. Stick with it. You will do great and congrats.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses - I was feeling like a bit of a loser after I stopped to walk! I will take today off and go for an easy run/walk in the morning to get back into the swing of things.

Thanks again! :smile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to have a hard time getting back in the swing of things after a long run? As a beginner, I mean?
    It's normal for everyone. Run easy for a few days and you will feel back to normal soon. Recovery after a really hard run takes a lot longer than recovery from everyday easy runs.
  • fastfree2003
    Options
    You are a winner! I have 17 years experience as a runner and I could not run a stretch when I first started to run. I walked/ ran/walk/ran. KEEP up the great work! If you are alternating then that is fine. A first race is an accomplishment and a shock to your body. It may take a whole week to recover. Just keep trying.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You ran 60% longer than you had ever run before. It is going to take some time to recover from that. Take it easy for a couple weeks with some light running and lots of walking. Don't set yourself back. The C25K program is designed to have you running 5K at the end of it, not somewhere in the middle. Too much too fast can result in injury setbacks. You may have dodged it this time, but be careful going forward. Jumping back in with too much too soon on sore, damaged tissue can result in injury.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think what everyone else said about this being normal and needing a little more recovery after a hard run is correct. Especially what carson said about being careful not to add too much to fast because you open yourself up to injury.

That all being said, I just also wanted to add that I actually get in a little bit of a funk after I finished a race I trained hard for. Generally, I'd go out for a run a couple days after and I wouldn't finish what I planned, I'd pack it in early and go home. So now I generally take a full week off from running after every race I train hard for (sometimes I run random races here and there for fun). Works for me and when I go back to it I'm usually well rested and happy.