Gastric bypass rebound

I had my GP several years ago. Lost 175 lbs. I was so happy! Well, besides the loose skin :)
Anyway, now I'm back up 100 lbs from what I lost. And I feel like a failure. I had this life altering, body altering surgery to help me with this life long struggle and I feel like I wasted it. Now I'm almost 50 and I have to get things back on track because it only gets harder the older you get. But I still have that little voice in my head that says, "you really f'd up"...

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    You may think you F'd up. But that doesn't mean you have to stay thinking you F'd up.
    Start to count your calories and you will lose the weight.

Cheers, h.
  • asterdragon413
    asterdragon413 Posts: 3 Member
    You would be surprised how many people have done the same thing! My own Aunt, for example, lost around 200lb with a Gastric Bypass. After a while she got complacent, and gained back the same as you - 100lb ish. She started smoking again. She managed to drop a good 75lb of that with hard work, but it was too little too late.

We sadly lost her last week.

You fell off the horse, but you can get back on.

You did it once, and you can do it again.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    It seems to be a common misconception with GP surgeries; that it will magically change your life forever. Unfortunately, if you don't learn good eating habits in the meantime, you will put that weight back on.

You haven't wasted it at all, you can still do this! Just make sure you are eating less calories than you are burning and you will lose the weight :)