How can a food not have calories?

Options
So I got a bottle of pickles today and the label says for three pickles there are 0 calories. How can that be? Are there really calories and they're just playing with my mind? Help I don't know If I should eat or not because I don't want to eat a bunch and then find there are calories, if that makes sense at all.

Replies

• sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    any foods with less than 4 calories they do not have to put it on the label. Be careful with such things as that.
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers or pickles depending on the size have very few if any calories. Most medium size pickles will have maybe 5 calories the baby pickles may not register any unless you over eat.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't see how that is true. Cucumbers have calories and pickles are pickled cucumbers. The calories are very low like 8 calories for 1/2 cup so maybe if a food has such a low amount for 1 pickle maybe they pretend it doesn't exist????? For some reason I was laughing when I read this but you are absolutely right. How weird.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    So I got a bottle of pickles today and the label says for three pickles there are 0 calories. How can that be? Are there really calories and they're just playing with my mind? Help I don't know If I should eat or not because I don't want to eat a bunch and then find there are calories, if that makes sense at all.
    Not sure if you're talking Dill or Sweet pickles and don't know the size of the pickles you've got in the jar. The dill won't have many cals but I don't believe they are 0 for 3 pickles. It's the sodium that's the killer on pickles though:sad:

Have you checked your brand against the MFP food database or Googled it?
  • ShastaAngel
    Options
    I do not know what brand you bought... but some pickles say 0 calories and some say up to 17 calories for a serving of two pickles. You may want to take note, though, pickles are VERY high in sodium.
  • allonthego
    Options
    Everything has Calories
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Everything has Calories
    except when you don't eat it:tongue:
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    I do not know what brand you bought... but some pickles say 0 calories and some say up to 17 calories for a serving of two pickles. You may want to take note, though, pickles are VERY high in sodium.

Most pickles are high in sodium, but if you look hard you can find some with very low sodium, _Very_ hard to find though.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely be careful with the pickles. They are very low in calories but can be high in sodium because of the vinegar they're soaked in.
  • JasonMan
    JasonMan Posts: 16
    Options
    the nutriotion card here on our base has our pickles at 70 cal a piece just be careful
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    the nutriotion card here on our base has our pickles at 70 cal a piece just be careful
    WOW, that's one GIANT pickle! :) Maybe like a bar pickle from a barrel? :ohwell:

I eat the ones that are like 6 cals for 3 pickles, it's on the food database someplace. Not sure what the sweet ones run, I like them but eat them sparingly because of the sugar. But they are good in tuna salad on occasion.:tongue:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    WOW, that's one GIANT pickle! :) Maybe like a bar pickle from a barrel? :ohwell:

I eat the ones that are like 6 cals for 3 pickles, it's on the food database someplace. Not sure what the sweet ones run, I like them but eat them sparingly because of the sugar. But they are good in tuna salad on occasion.:tongue:

I agree, 70cal for a pickle sounds extreme... unless maybe it's coated in chocolate and deep-fried :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: a new pregnancy craving perhaps?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

I agree, 70cal for a pickle sounds extreme... unless maybe it's coated in chocolate and deep-fried :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: a new pregnancy craving perhaps?
    Yes, maybe it's a fair pickle with a coating like you suggested! Or a giant jar of pickles? oye! The sodium!:noway:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hehehe my sister used to love them and eat whole jars and drink the 'water'
  • JasonMan
    JasonMan Posts: 16
    Options
    ok so if you read the small writing its says for 1/2 a cup. but pickles are like chips you cant eat just one
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    with "zero calorie" foods i wish they would put the calorie count for the whole container..like things that a zero cals per serving put there are like 100+ servings in the container
  • WindHauler
    WindHauler Posts: 35
    Options
    "I agree, 70cal for a pickle sounds extreme... unless maybe it's coated in chocolate and deep-fried a new pregnancy craving perhaps? "

LOL, now that was funny!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    ok so if you read the small writing its says for 1/2 a cup. but pickles are like chips you cant eat just one
    Excellent point!:tongue: