Increasing fiber and metamucil

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
Based on the advice of others on MFP, I am now tracking and increasing my fiber. I had always assumed I got plenty of fiber because I eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and only whole grain products, but once I started following it, I am usually way below. So I've started to take Metamucil caps, but it takes 5 caps to get only 2 grams of fiber! I really have to choke the things down. Yesterday, I had 7 gram of fiber left to eat, and I would have had to take 3 doses to get up to snuff! And it wasn't exactly a day where I ate that badly (OK, cheesecake at faculty luncheon, but that's not typical for me), but I had a high fiber cereal with fruit for breakfast, salad and fruit and lunch, and broccoli at dinner, pretty typical day and still way under. Any tips? I also have issues with constipation, so obviously my body's not getting enough. The previous day I had grapefruit for breakfast, salad for lunch, fruit for snack, and broccoli and sweet potato fries for fiber intake. Today I'm putting chia seeds on my cottage cheese.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much fiber are you aiming for?
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    eat barley. Pearled has 6 grams a cup, hulled even more,It is healthy and tasted and is also good for constipation. Good luck. Look for barley soup recipes although I use it like rice.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a tablespoon of psyllium husk with my breakfast. Works for me
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I use Flatout Wraps Multigrain with Flax to make my lunch with. Delicious, low in calories and 8 grams of fibre in each wrap. I also use their Foldit version (also with Flax) for burgers. Each one of those has 7 grams of fibre. :)

http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Here are some high fibre foods which you could work in - pears, parsnips, raw spinach, beans (white, black etc), peas, dried apricots, passionfruit, raspberries.

You could add some passionfruit and raspberries to your morning fruit salad. Add some extra peas and parsnips at dinner. Use baby spinach instead of cos lettuce in salads. Add a few tablespoons of beans to your salads.

Here's a list of the amount of fibre in heaps of different foods: http://www.endoscopy.com.au/high-fibre-diet.htm

ETA - I just went to check my fibre intake. I have a green smoothie as one of my daily snacks - it has 10g of fibre! 1/2 a banana, 1/2 apple, 1/2 pear, some cos lettuce, two handfuls baby spinach, ginger, fresh lemon juice and water.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I use Flatout Wraps Multigrain with Flax to make my lunch with. Delicious, low in calories and 8 grams of fibre in each wrap. I also use their Foldit version (also with Flax) for burgers. Each one of those has 7 grams of fibre. :)

http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/

I use the flat out wraps too! Love them.

Op: I feel like 5 caps to equal 2g of fiber is a rip off.

Some higher fiber foods are: black beans, Lima beans, split peas, artichokes, peas and broccoli.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    MFP says I should have around 21 grams a day. Yesterday I had 13, the day before I had only 7 (I had eggs rather than cereal for breakfast). I just bought some of those flatout breads because my supermarket had a two for one sale. Thanks for the tip! Although people think salads have a lot of fiber, there's only 1 or 2 grams for a couple of cups of lettuce, so putting my salad in a high fiber wrap might be a good solution.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a tablespoon of psyllium husk with my breakfast. Works for me

same here
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well if you use protein bars, switch to quest bars. Also, add more veggies.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the gummies are 5g each, so I take two and then eat fiber elsewhere. I get the store brand so they are cheaper
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @rosebette I suspect your fiber is perfectly fine. The fiber entries may not be complete for all foods on MFP. I assume you have no problems with regularity?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oops, should have read the whole thing. Fiber can increase constipation, as annoying as that sounds, especially if you increase your fiber suddenly. Try switching to more soluble fibers, and a little more good oils and see if that makes a difference.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble-soluble-fiber
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Lentils and black beans, raspberries, barley, dried apricots.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Sometimes I think things get slowed down, especially if we are dieting, from lack of volume. High volume low calorie foods like popcorn can help. Popcorn is also high in fiber.

Soluble fiber foods can be bulked up with water or milk which can help too (oatmeal, chia, konjac root).
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am a Miralax girl. I stir it into my iced tea and never taste it. I only use it about 3-4 times a week though. I have had "problems" in the past resulting in multiple surgeries, so my doctor approved it for regular use.