Anyone take a "maintenance break" before you hit your goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm all for diet breaks. You really don't want to be in a deficit for long long period of time without taking a little break.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty healthy. I do agree with Francl27. If your current calorie goal is less than your maintenance at your goal weight, then eat at the maintenance for your goal weight. That's what you really need to be practicing for.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! That is definitely what I'm going for this time; I'm trying to train my body and mind (and spirit) to learn full v. hungry and to not eat compulsively. I don't want to replace compulsive eating with compulsive dieting. I want to "aim for maintenance." I think I will either 1) decrease my deficit to lost .5 lb per week (just to take some pressure off), or 2) eat at maintenance for my goal weight. The two numbers probably aren't that different. Thanks for the thoughtful encouragement, everyone.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I like the analogy of deciding how you pace yourself (somebody before me said it). I've found that maintenance breaks can be really good for me mentally. I've never planned any- they sort of happen when they do. Once when my mother was dying and again after I had surgery. I did find it a bit challenging to get back on the proverbial horse after and get back into a good rhythm, but still found them useful.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I took a break and ate at maintenance for a month this summer. I had lost 45 lbs, and my blood sugar was back in the normal range. It started out as just a break for a vacation but then I had a couple of injuries that prevented me from exercise. As I have been released to do more aerobic exercise by my physical therapist (still not full workout) I am back to eating at a deficit and am losing again. I needed the break and feel re-energized and fully motivated to keep eating at a deficit until the end of the year, when I intend to eat at maintenance again through the holidays. It was difficult at first, I recommend gradually working toward the full deficit level you are aiming to use in the next leg of your journey.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm trying to do right now. Ive lost about 32lb and ultimately would like to lose another 8-12lb but I'm trying to maintain for a bit for a number of reasons. Protect my lbm, try and build muscle, let my skin catch up and avoid slowing metabolism as I was on 1200/day as a sedentary 45 yo. I'm running 2-3 times pw and visiting the gym at least 3 times a week and I'm losing a bit still so it's not proving easy to find the right calorie number! But I think a break is good, both psychologically and physiologically. We're all different so if you think it helps, go for it
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    it will be a mistake for me

there will be other moments like this, so it's up to you, resist and finish it off, or give up

it's not easy, and in theory this journey should last forever, try maybe to change your workout routine
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I plan on doing this. I want to get to 140 (145 now, will probably get to 140 in late October/early November) then maintain until January. I might gain a bit since I don't plan on counting on the week of Christmas. I'll lose the last 5lbs after New Years :smile:
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've done it several times in the last several years, and it's something that's really helped me cement the feeling that the loss is sustainable. I don't count calories, but I still measure portions and stay mindful of when and why I'm eating. I continue to weigh weekly, and keep an eye on how I feel and how my clothes fit. I've never regained (beyond what I consider to be normal 5+/- fluctuations), and it's helped me feel less like I'm being defined by my exercise/eating habits.

I know some people tend to the, "You will be doing this forever!" mindset, but I'm of the opinion that there has to be a balance. Any of us who maintain will always be in a mindset to watch what we eat until it becomes second nature -- but taking a break from cutting to live at maintenance for a while is not giving up.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I took a break with about 10-15lbs to go. I'd reached the upper limit of my target range, and I was ready to take a rest and let my body adjust, because I'd lost quite a lot (70lbs and I'm only short). My plan was to take a break for a year and let things settle down. I'm ready to lost those last 15lbs now, and I'm really glad I took a break. I have gained a few pounds, but nothing significant and I've learned a huge amount about maintenance and the mental shift.

I've found that focusing on keeping that deficit going and logging etc. can require a lot of mental resources. If there is something else going on in mylife which makes it tough to devote that about of mental effort to losing, it's wise for me to take a break and try and maintain, rather than try and lose more and then fail.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I've read that maintenance breaks are really required when you're on a long term deficit, in order not to damage your metabolism.

Just don't use it as an excuse to go crazy. You also may learn a lot of useful info, such as what you currently calorie count need is to sustain your weight. (its definitely changed).
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Try mixing up your workouts! How about a class of some kind with others; it might be a new source of motivation. If you run, how about a walk? Or an ellipical or rowing machine? I find creating a new workout playlist helps me, too.

If you feel stressed, how about something more relaxing. I started Tai Chi this year. Once you learn it, it is very aerobic (I know wouldn't seem to be), but it gives me a workout AND really has helped with stress (even the stress of dieting).

I felt the same way about my workouts and had to mix it up to keep up the momentum and not give up. Unfortunately, for me, if I don't log and trust myself to eat correctly, I will gain. Maybe you are luckier.
  • MichelleH267
    MichelleH267 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    I think I'm bored with my workout plan. I run and lift. I like the results that come from heavy lifting, but I'm no gym rat. I'd rather be outside, but I don't want to "just run," and not work on my strength. Maybe I'll take a break from lifting and run a bit more.
    Not sure if it's feasible for you (finances/location etc.) but you could hire a personal trainer just for a session or two to go through some workout options that you can do outside - I've seen people in parks lifting logs etc. using benches for dips and so on.

• marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Around Christmas last year I took a break from my diet...food wise. I did maintain my 15,000 steps daily. I wanted to keep one foot in the door, so to speak. After about 3 months I had gained 5 lbs. I got back to watching what I ate and lost it. So for me it worked.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you on being burned out. I only have four more pounds but I am soooo sick of restricting. I have bad influences all the time too like oh you want some chocolate cake cause if you don't you must have an Ed. I personally am burned out with eating but if you are burned out on exercise maybe take a break week and eat a little less. Taking a week off will NOT undo all your progress it can actually get you ready again. I have been lately mainly eating at my calorie deficit but if I feel like cheating on a meal a couple days a week I do it and I have not gained weight. Just don't get super lazy for a long period of time.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I've read that maintenance breaks are really required when you're on a long term deficit, in order not to damage your metabolism.

Just don't use it as an excuse to go crazy. You also may learn a lot of useful info, such as what you currently calorie count need is to sustain your weight. (its definitely changed).

I read that too. There is an interesting site put together by Swiss health care professionals and researchers here: http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/. When I put in 89kg as my start weight and 75kg as my aim, it recommended that I don't try to lose all at once, but start with losing 7kg - 10kg, then maintain that weight for a while, and then move on. I didn't plan it that way, but in fact it is what I did - lost 9 kg, "maintained" a while ( a year or more - but I gained a couple of kgs back) , and now I have lost 12kg and am aiming to maintain.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm on a diet break at the moment. I've lost 58lbs and am now at a weight within a healthy BMI and my doctor is happy with weight. I'm planning on eating at maintenance for a month or so before losing the last 15lbs to get to my ultimate goal. So far I've been doing this a week. I am still weighing and logging everything.