Cardio and strength training

i just read in an old post that too much cardio can eat away muscle even if one is strength training. So if I am lifting heavy, strength training for 3 hours per week how much cardio would be detrimental? Or how much is too much? Side note: also needing to lose 70 lbs and succeeding by eating at a deficit.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I wouldn't worry about that much if I were you.

And by "that much" I mean "at all". Do your thing and don't sweat it.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Muscle loss typically occurs when doing caloric deficit and longer distance / duration cardio. Chances are you are not putting in enough cardio to have any real negative impact on your muscles. Strength training is the way to offset this; well, there is a nutritional side to this as well, but I am trying to be broad here.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    daj150 wrote: »
    Muscle loss typically occurs when doing caloric deficit and longer distance / duration cardio. Chances are you are not putting in enough cardio to have any real negative impact on your muscles. Strength training is the way to offset this; well, there is a nutritional side to this as well, but I am trying to be broad here.

I am using the treadmill at the gym 7 hours a week at 3.0 to 3.8 mph... Mostly because I love love love it