Barcodes

Options
Do you ever find some unusual barcode readings? I just scanned a Marks and Spencer gin and tonic, and it came up as Trader Joe's shredded mozarella.

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes! I find that happens more on private label brands.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​The barcode number on a food package does not contain nutrition information, it is just a universal product code (UPC) number registered to the manufacturer or distributor. All of the macro- and micronutrient information associated with that barcode number was entered into the MFP Food Database by other MFP users or staff; then a user associated that UPC number with a MFP Food Database record. The UPC number can be associated with the wrong MFP Food Database record, or the MFP Food Database record could be inaccurate.

You should check the MFP nutrition information associated with that UPC number every time you scan a new barcode to enter a food item into your Food Diary; plus you should occasionally recheck that an item you have used in the past is still correct, because another user could have edited the MFP Food Database record since the last time you used it.

You can use the USDA National Nutrient Database to verify the nutrient information for many whole foods, such as meats, poultry, vegetables, fruits, dairy, nuts, herbs, spices, etc., plus some restaurant and US/Canadian food products.

For instructions on how to edit an incorrect food item in the MFP Food Database, or re-associate a barcode with the correct food item, please see these articles on the MFP Help pages...
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/13980-some-food-information-in-the-database-is-inaccurate-can-i-edit-it-
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/391249-how-do-i-edit-or-change-the-item-found-by-a-barcode-scan-
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the person who entered the information related to that barcode had partaken of a few too many of the G&Ts when they did the data entry.
  • BananaTricky
    BananaTricky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, it appears that M&S (a UK national department store and food shop) and Trader Joes have shared barcodes - I have scanned the barcodes for five M&S (Marks and Spencer) foods this week and they have all come up as totally unrelated Trader Joe foods (a colleague has also experienced this issue).