Good choices at Chinese Restaurant?

Options
work lunch at Chinese restaurant. Help what are some low cal healthy choices?

Replies

• whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ooh would like to know that one
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's all going to be high in sodium, but stick to non-breaded and fried to cut calories. More vegetables and less noodles/rice. Soup is a nice starter.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The same things are low calorie there as anywhere else. Broccoli with beef/chicken/shrimp should be fine.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think chicken chow mien is about the best option with Chinese.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    probably somewhere along the lines of chicken with mixed vegetables. no battered, fried stuff and no thick, sweet sauces.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Yeah, meat and veg is what I go for. I try to avoid breaded and fried stuff, noodles and rice, and sugary neon sticky sauces.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Kung Pao Chicken. All Chinese has a good amount of sodium but Kung Pao chicken seems to have lower calories over all.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup. :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    The non-fried/breaded items. Personally I like beef with broccoli!

Asking for sauces on the side can also help. Remember to enjoy it, too!
  • fletchsc
    fletchsc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I usually go with egg drop soup and steamed dumplings
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Many Chinese places have a "steamed" or "dieters" menu where they steam the meat/veggies and put the sauce on the side. I usually get steamed chicken and mixed vegetables with garlic sauce on the side. I find the garlic sauce to be the most flavorful when you use less of it. You can also usually get brown rice instead of white rice. Whether the "Chinese - Generic Steamed Chicken and Vegetables" and "Chinese Restaurant - Garlic Sauce" were correct, I really have no idea. For 2 cup of chicken/mixed veg, 2 Tbsp sauce and 0.5 cup steamed brown rice it came to 426 cal. The numbers may not be fully accurate, but I at least felt better picking steamed options where I could control the sauce...if it was really over what the "generic" is, I don't eat there every day so it won't kill my weight loss.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    alt5057 wrote: »
    Many Chinese places have a "steamed" or "dieters" menu where they steam the meat/veggies and put the sauce on the side. I usually get steamed chicken and mixed vegetables with garlic sauce on the side. I find the garlic sauce to be the most flavorful when you use less of it. You can also usually get brown rice instead of white rice.

This :)

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Many Chinese places have a "steamed" or "dieters" menu where they steam the meat/veggies and put the sauce on the side. I usually get steamed chicken and mixed vegetables with garlic sauce on the side. I find the garlic sauce to be the most flavorful when you use less of it. You can also usually get brown rice instead of white rice. Whether the "Chinese - Generic Steamed Chicken and Vegetables" and "Chinese Restaurant - Garlic Sauce" were correct, I really have no idea. For 2 cup of chicken/mixed veg, 2 Tbsp sauce and 0.5 cup steamed brown rice it came to 426 cal. The numbers may not be fully accurate, but I at least felt better picking steamed options where I could control the sauce...if it was really over what the "generic" is, I don't eat there every day so it won't kill my weight loss.

Yep. I've ordered plain steamed chicken and broccoli for almost 20 years. I love it, lol. It's the easiest meal on the go too.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yep. I've ordered plain steamed chicken and broccoli for almost 20 years. I love it, lol. It's the easiest meal on the go too.

^^ +1. Places that do this usually put some kind of sauce on the side, so you can control the amount. If you go light on the rice (or even leave it out), you can make out like a bandit. Its also one of the tastiest things on the menu, IMO.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I get the steamed stuff if I need to be good. But it is sad to me. I usually just save chinese food for when I can have it all. But yeah, you can come in at 500-600 calories if you eat a portion of the rice they give you and steamed veggies/protein with soy sauce for taste.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Many Chinese places have a "steamed" or "dieters" menu where they steam the meat/veggies and put the sauce on the side.

I ordered steamed chicken and broccoli once... Never again. Steamed chicken is just nasty! Next time I'm going with shrimp or beef... can't be worse.

Or some kind of soup and steamed dumplings, or shrimp with lobster sauce (that would be like 700 calories with the rice I think).

I always kinda assumed that chicken or beef and broccoli would be lowish calories but apparently not? I know they're low calorie at Panda Express...
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would probably order a curry dish with chicken, seafood or tofu and brown rice. The only downside is that coconut milk is pretty high in fat.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I usually get sizzling rice soup as an entree. Delicious! If you're looking for really low cal, do egg drop soup (or hot & sour soup) with a vegetarian spring roll. A cup of egg drop is only around 60 calories (so the bowl might be 150ish) and the spring roll would be probably around 120 depending on size.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Right after Bariatric surgery I found that the Won Ton soup suited me perfectly. I would go for a Thai noodle bowl morning noon or night because, well, delish. And take the calorie hit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is important in a setting like this. You don't need to eat all of that dish. Noore than half. Minimize or skip the rice because a lot of cslories and not much on nutrition.