Natural water rentention remedies anyone?

Options
drspoon2013
drspoon2013 Posts: 27 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all, particularly the ladies! My body has always been a nightmare for water retention but last two months it has taken to hanging onto a whole kilo of water for 2 weeks in run up to time of the month. I'm at my wits end, can barely eat as feel full all of the time and tummy looks enormous when I relax my abs. My doc was quite rude when I went and said I should 'deal with weight gain'! I know it's water weight but I can't seem to shift it. Any tips?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    More water and less sodium :)
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    asparagus, teas, less salt,more water with lemon and ground ginger. The ginger and lemon help with inflamation which could help reduce your menstrual woes and help retain less water. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I blame progesterone. Perhaps a birth control hormone replacement routine would shift it. Or not. Look at it this way; once a month you lose a lot of weight at once.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    More water.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for more water. Perhaps someone would be so kind as to post a link explaining why this works?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If the water retention was due to high sodium, I'd suggest tomato juice and water. But tea has always worked best for me when the retention is hormonal. Strong black tea.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    asparagus!

...or tequila straight w/ water on the side.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    asparagus!

...or tequila straight w/ water on the side.

::noway:: In my experience, tequila and PMS were never a good idea.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you know it's water and you know it's related to TOM and you know it goes away after, then I don't see what the real problem is. Focus on things you CAN control like hydration, nutrition, and exercise. My 2c.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Dandelion tea.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I know if I really wanted to fix it I need to lower my sodium intake which is just through the roof, but I have a hard time. I love my salt. Especially in a deficit.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you are healthy and your nutritional needs are met, you could try eating very low carb for a couple days and see if you eliminate a bunch of water weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get water retention in my legs/ankles, and the only thing that seems to reduce it is to drink more water. As another poster mentioned, dandelion tea can help.
  • drspoon2013
    drspoon2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guy, will try the tea!

As for what the real problem is... It's painful and uncomfortable! Even though I know it will go it's like 2 weeks of pain inbetween :/
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/water-retention/faq-20058063

Copy and paste from the link above:
    If you're concerned about fluid retention related to menstruation, again you're better off making some simple lifestyle changes, such as cutting back on the salt in your diet.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    more water and also cranberry juice helps a lot. You can also get tea from cherry stalks - this is really helpful
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Eat nothing from a box for 3 days and drink plenty of water. Also add "no salt" to your food instead of salt. My cells absorb 7-9 pounds of water when I eat clean I dump it all in 3 days. If I eat salt I gain 7-9 pounds overnight lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Eat nothing from a box for 3 days and drink plenty of water. Also add "no salt" to your food instead of salt. My cells absorb 7-9 pounds of water when I eat clean I dump it all in 3 days. If I eat salt I gain 7-9 pounds overnight lol

Oddest advice I've seen yet, but sodium is not always the problem when female hormones are involved.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Cutting back the salt will only help if you eat so much that your body has to add water to fight the salt. It won't make the added bloat from your period go away.

Short of drugs, I never found any way to deal with it...and I'm not taking drugs for it, lol, so I just live with it.