Sometimes... I get REALLY excited about a salad.

Options
Last night we had a warm pearl cous cous salad for dinner with tomato's, portobello, zucchini, eggplant and onions... It was one of the best meals I've had in a very long time.

Today for lunch I have baby romaine, love beets, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, asaparagus, cucumber and grilled chicken. Just with oil and salt, and it's fracking awesome.

Anyone else in the same boat? do healthy foods actually excite you now?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yeah. Remove the mushrooms and those sound great!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed a well-made salad or some delicious well-cooked vegetables, so I don't see this as a change, but sure.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't get excited about salads. I get excited when the scale drops tho lol
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya...when it's warm outside, not much sounds better to me than a fresh crisp salad with fresh seasonal fruit, pecans, and loads of fresh vegetables from the garden. Plus, my CSA always has locally grown greens in the Spring and fall. Salad is all I eat for weeks!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I also feel the same way about a perfectly grilled chicken breast, those dry out easily.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Any interesting/favorite salad combo's you want to share? I usually do the basics, but today I went crazy go nuts at the salad bar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    Any interesting/favorite salad combo's you want to share? I usually do the basics, but today I went crazy go nuts at the salad bar.

Lettuce, goat cheese, beets, walnuts and smoked salmon is my favorite. Otherwise it's usually Greek (minus olives), or taco. I love cobb salad too but I'm too lazy to cook bacon and hard boiled eggs for it.

Or this one. So good. I add shrimp now for more protein. But man I got to make it again!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10184311/california-roll-salad-less-than-330-calories
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I love adding cooked vegetables to my salads to make them more interesting (and because I get a CSA box so am generally using what I have).

I've also had a ridiculous amount of cucumber and tomatoes lately, so in addition to gazpacho (another love of mine), I do a cucumber and tomato salad with some roasted and cooked vegetables (cauliflower and/or squash most recently, as well as some pan fried mushrooms), edamame, and then a spicy Asian-influenced dressing (soy, fish sauce, lime, and sriracha). Then whatever meat I have -- skirt steak is really good, but I did some tuna steak yesterday.

My standby is usually Greek-ish, though, because I love olives and feta.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I too get a lady hard-on for salads, but I would encourage you to add something acidic all salads need a bit of pizzaz
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ... gazpacho (another love of mine), I do a cucumber and tomato salad with some roasted and cooked vegetables (cauliflower and/or squash most recently, as well as some pan fried mushrooms), edamame, and then a spicy Asian-influenced dressing (soy, fish sauce, lime, and sriracha). Then whatever meat I have -- skirt steak is really good, but I did some tuna steak yesterday...

I make gazpacho, too: my Spanish father was very religious about how we made it and I've turned out the same way: fresh tomato only - no canned; no juice, no sauce; about 2x as much tomato as peeled cucumber. Some onion. One garlic clove. Some green pepper (I use red or yellow, too, now). Olive oil - not too much, as it's blending. We often left the vinegar out and added it at the table because we liked to try different kinds at each sitting. Lately I've been substituting fresh lemon juice for the vinegar and add it before the blending.

Add a little water, enriched with the leftover blend from the blender container, then store in the fridge for a few hours. No ice cubes. Shake before serving.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Absolute. My salad today was spinach, shrimp, laughing cow cheese, avocado, tomato, and chipotle hot sauce. When I'm not in a deficit I add extra avocado and black beans. And it definitely excites me.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If a salad has lettuce in it, I'm not interested. I prefer to make my own salads and replace lettuce with extra tomato, avocado and cucumber. Really do not like eating leaves, bleurgh.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If a salad has lettuce in it, I'm not interested. I prefer to make my own salads and replace lettuce with extra tomato, avocado and cucumber. Really do not like eating leaves, bleurgh.

amen. my salads are usually 80% toppings and 20% lettuce, haha. it gets in the way!

i get excited about chipotle. does that count?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    ... gazpacho (another love of mine), I do a cucumber and tomato salad with some roasted and cooked vegetables (cauliflower and/or squash most recently, as well as some pan fried mushrooms), edamame, and then a spicy Asian-influenced dressing (soy, fish sauce, lime, and sriracha). Then whatever meat I have -- skirt steak is really good, but I did some tuna steak yesterday...

I make gazpacho, too: my Spanish father was very religious about how we made it and I've turned out the same way: fresh tomato only - no canned; no juice, no sauce; about 2x as much tomato as peeled cucumber. Some onion. One garlic clove. Some green pepper (I use red or yellow, too, now). Olive oil - not too much, as it's blending. We often left the vinegar out and added it at the table because we liked to try different kinds at each sitting. Lately I've been substituting fresh lemon juice for the vinegar and add it before the blending.

Add a little water, enriched with the leftover blend from the blender container, then store in the fridge for a few hours. No ice cubes. Shake before serving.

Sounds delicious. I can't imagine using canned tomatoes or tomato juice, but then I only make it in the summer when we are overrun with fresh tomatoes.

A few weeks ago when I was overrun with cucumbers but had no tomatoes yet I finally started experimenting with
    green (or white) gazpachos, which I've always meant to do. I have since discovered that cantaloupe and cucumbers actually work pretty well as a base.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I'm pretty fond of arugula and spinach, but otherwise I don't care much about lettuce or prefer my greens cooked.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't get excited about the salad as a whole, but sometimes if I know my salad has like goat cheese and beets in it I really look forward to it. It's mostly the cheese I get excited about.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    That's funny, you lettuce haters. I eat so much of it that I actually have to weigh it because it comes in at a couple hundred calories every week.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Beets in a salad are the best! Especially with arugula and goat cheese.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    This time of the year I'm a little sick of salads. About January, when most of the greens have died out, I'll start to miss them. And by early Spring I'll be craving them and anxiously awaiting the early greens to get big enough to harvest.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »

Sounds delicious. I can't imagine using canned tomatoes or tomato juice, but then I only make it in the summer when we are overrun with fresh tomatoes.

A few weeks ago when I was overrun with cucumbers but had no tomatoes yet I finally started experimenting with
    green (or white) gazpachos, which I've always meant to do. I have since discovered that cantaloupe and cucumbers actually work pretty well as a base.[/quot

I want gazpacho now! Never made it sounds very easy