Which works best counting carbs or counting calories

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    low carbing is just one of many ways of reducing calories...reducing calories is how you lose weight.

a calorie is a unit of energy...your body runs on this energy...when you consume energy in excess of what you need to maintain the status quot, that energy is stored for later use...your backup generator. When you consume less energy than is required to maintain the status quot, your backup generator kicks on and you use your energy reserves (body fat) to make up that deficit.

weight management has nothing to do with carbohydrates other than it is one of many modalities used to reduce overall calorie intake. That said, most people who eat anything remotely resembling the SAD could stand to moderate their carbohydrate intake and make better overall choices as to the carbohydrates they are eating...i.e. less 40 ounce big gulps and more nutritionally qualified carbohydrates.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    MFP is about counting calories. How many of those calories that come from carbs is up to you.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

The best one is the one you can do forever. Low carb works for lots of people, but most cannot stick to it causing them to gain back the weight. You need to pick the one that you can stick with.

This ^

I'm doing low carb because my husband and I have medical reasons and it was suggested by a Doctor. I however am finding low carb to be very easy to stick too and really don't miss them. To each his own however and if cutting out sugar and starches isn't sustainable to you for life, then stick with CICO. CICO works just as well.

Edit: And yes, both ways still lead to a calorie deficit which leads to weight loss.

Just to emphasize a point here, it's not an either/or question. All roads lead to CICO. Low carb, like any other choice, only works within the confines of CICO. You don't have to count calories to be in a caloric deficit, but CICO happens regardless.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Meh
  • mantium999
    Options
    Meh

Sorry, I see you edited your post while I was responding. :)
  • saucykia
    saucykia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Science is beginning to realise that calories in, calories out isn't a valid approach to losing or maintaining weight, and that "a calorie is a calorie" is a falsehood. Our bodies can tell the difference between different types of foods even when the calorie counts are identical. A lot of research - I recommend Dr Robert Lustig, a professor of paediatric endrocronology - has pointed to the low fat, high sugar diet as the primary if not sole cause of the obesity epidemic in the West, and numerous studies have shown people eating the same calories losing different amounts of weight.

If you want an accurate picture of what caused you to put the pounds on, eat normally for a few weeks but log it accurately. After a few weeks, you'll be able to see what kind of diet you're eating and to notice where changes need to be made. For instance, you might see you're eating far too many calories, though the likelihood is you'll be eating more carbs, sugar and salt from processed food. Current science is advocating for a return to a more moderate fat diet (35-40%) with higher protein (20-25%) and fewer carbohydrates, and it really does leave you feeling full, sometimes to the point where you can't consume all the calories you're meant to.

I'm trying to maintain my weight, and was recommended to eat 1,600-1,800 calories/day by both my doctor and this website's calculator. Most days, I'm hard pressed to eat that much, but if I eat a lot of sugary or carb-rich foods, I can very easily go over and still feel hungry. I also lose 1-2 pounds/week on a low sugar, higher fat and higher protein diet, even eating upwards of 2,000 calories/day, but if I eat the same calories in processed bread (added sugar), pasta with tomato sauce (lots of added sugar) and processed soup (lots of added sugar) I'd gain.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    saucykia wrote: »
    Science is beginning to realise that calories in, calories out isn't a valid approach to losing or maintaining weight, and that "a calorie is a calorie" is a falsehood.

No..."science" is not. Some derpy woo peddlers (aka Lustig) are, but science is not.

Disregarded rest of post, since first sentence was inherently false.
  • mantium999
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Science is beginning to realise that calories in, calories out isn't a valid approach to losing or maintaining weight, and that "a calorie is a calorie" is a falsehood.

No..."science" is not. Some derpy woo peddlers (aka Lustig) are, but science is not.

Disregarded rest of post, since first sentence was inherently false.

Yup
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Can you link some of those peer-reviewed scientific studies you're talking about?

Also, is this invalid, too?

64078106.png

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Science is beginning to realise that calories in, calories out isn't a valid approach to losing or maintaining weight, and that "a calorie is a calorie" is a falsehood. Our bodies can tell the difference between different types of foods even when the calorie counts are identical. A lot of research - I recommend Dr Robert Lustig, a professor of paediatric endrocronology - has pointed to the low fat, high sugar diet as the primary if not sole cause of the obesity epidemic in the West, and numerous studies have shown people eating the same calories losing different amounts of weight.

If you want an accurate picture of what caused you to put the pounds on, eat normally for a few weeks but log it accurately. After a few weeks, you'll be able to see what kind of diet you're eating and to notice where changes need to be made. For instance, you might see you're eating far too many calories, though the likelihood is you'll be eating more carbs, sugar and salt from processed food. Current science is advocating for a return to a more moderate fat diet (35-40%) with higher protein (20-25%) and fewer carbohydrates, and it really does leave you feeling full, sometimes to the point where you can't consume all the calories you're meant to.

I'm trying to maintain my weight, and was recommended to eat 1,600-1,800 calories/day by both my doctor and this website's calculator. Most days, I'm hard pressed to eat that much, but if I eat a lot of sugary or carb-rich foods, I can very easily go over and still feel hungry. I also lose 1-2 pounds/week on a low sugar, higher fat and higher protein diet, even eating upwards of 2,000 calories/day, but if I eat the same calories in processed bread (added sugar), pasta with tomato sauce (lots of added sugar) and processed soup (lots of added sugar) I'd gain.

If people cannot easily maintain weight on a diet without processed food, how did our species come to be? We didn't have access to bread, pasta, tomato sauce, or soups for most of our history, yet we still managed to put on weight and maintain it. What you are saying doesn't make much sense to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

so i eat a lot of legumes, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, veg, and fruit...am I gonna die?

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

so i eat a lot of legumes, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, veg, and fruit...am I gonna die?

But Dr Lutsig? LOL
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I also lose 1-2 pounds/week on a low sugar, higher fat and higher protein diet, even eating upwards of 2,000 calories/day, but if I eat the same calories in processed bread (added sugar), pasta with tomato sauce (lots of added sugar) and processed soup (lots of added sugar) I'd gain.

No you would not. Stop it. That's a completely ridiculous statement.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but yes. At some point, you will certainly be dead.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but yes. At some point, you will certainly be dead.
    F'ing sweet potatoes. :#

• mantium999
    Options
    I also lose 1-2 pounds/week on a low sugar, higher fat and higher protein diet, even eating upwards of 2,000 calories/day, but if I eat the same calories in processed bread (added sugar), pasta with tomato sauce (lots of added sugar) and processed soup (lots of added sugar) I'd gain.

No you would not. Stop it. That's a completely ridiculous statement.

Kudos for reading that far. I stopped reading on account of the earlier ridiculousness and didn't catch that awesomeness.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Obviously.

You want to hear something worse? I've made pasta with homemade tomato sauce. I added lots of other vegetables and it had lots of grams of sugar, as a result, even though I didn't add any.

Glad to know that "pasta with tomato sauce" inherently has "lots of added sugar" even if you don't add any sugar. That makes total sense! Well, I guess I did add the vegetables with the sugar (and the tomatoes), so there you go.