DOMS How Do You Deal With It?

Options
Ok anyone that trains hard gets the dreaded DOMS a day or two later. What do you do to ease the pain so you can perform well at your next work out.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    What is your workout schedule like? How many days a week can you/do you workout? Would you consider doing a split? This would allow you to train different muscle groups and give the ones that are sore a day or two of rest.

I have found that sometimes doing another workout will diminish the soreness (increased blood flow maybe?). For example, I have only experienced severe DOMS in the legs, but a casual walk or slow trot on a treadmill can often reduce the soreness (at least temporarily - during the workout - it'll come back afterwards).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I usually do something light for the affected muscles (hike, swim, stretch, etc) and focus my intensity on better rested muscles.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ok anyone that trains hard gets the dreaded DOMS a day or two later.

Not necessarily.

I rarely get DOMS, normally if I do, it's only from working an area or muscle that is not normal for me to use. That said, I just train through it, the soreness seems to ease with training.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I rarely get DOMS, normally if I do, it's only from working an area or muscle that is not normal for me to use. That said, I just train through it, the soreness seems to ease with training.
    This is a good point that I forgot to mention. With continued training, the DOMS will eventually subside. The only time I may get it is if I really increase reps or weight, or do something dramatically different than what I've done in the past. And even then, it's a fraction of what I use to get when I first started weight training.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.

^^^This. I also take as hot a shower as I can stand and if it's really bad, som Advil.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Dealing with it now -_- I don't get sore til days 2-3 after working out usually. Today I'm dealing with my brutal leg day on Wednesday afternoon.

If it's lower body, I try to keep moving because if I sit still too long I just get even more sore so walking really helps. Upper body, just mild stretching every hour or two seems to help me.

ETA - not everyone gets DOMS, it has to do with your body's reaction to training. For me, when I stop getting sore I know I need to change my workout because my body is used to that routine. But I rotate my workouts so lower body / upper body isn't done on the same day usually so I can still do some weights even if one area is really sore. Every once in awhile I'll do a full body to shake it up with a completely different set of exercises if I need it though.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    since i've started doing cardio after weights, i rarely get DOMS.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about an entirely different type of Dom. Sorry.

What does DOMS stand for please?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.

^^^This. I also take as hot a shower as I can stand and if it's really bad, som Advil.
    I used to take Advil every day, until I read it stunts muscle growth :ohwell: I doubt one or two will have that big an effect, but I seriously cut down on that 'habit'.
    An easy paced run usually makes me feel better anyways.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This is a good point that I forgot to mention. With continued training, the DOMS will eventually subside. The only time I may get it is if I really increase reps or weight, or do something dramatically different than what I've done in the past. And even then, it's a fraction of what I use to get when I first started weight training.

This. Honestly, I just work through it when I do get it (which isn't very often anymore). Maybe some Advil or Tylenol if it's particularly bad. Plenty of water to drink and plenty of protein to eat.
  • jennwren77
    jennwren77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

LOL! Me too

I googled it: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness :)
  • projectbam
    projectbam Posts: 55
    Options
    i think its important to workout already hydrated and to keep drinking water throughout and after exercise. But TBH i worry if i DONT get DOMS .. its a sign your efforts are being rewarded with muscle repair right? .. they get less over time and its important to always keep your workouts varied to maintain an element of muscle breakdown and repair .. but yeah the pain is something to be welcomed.

in terms of supplementation .. i take a scoop of BCAAs first thing in the morning and one in the afternoon (with my protein shake) and this actually really helps with recovery also (with the DOMs).
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA! Ok, thank you. I get that too, and didn't know it! After a particularly challenging kickboxing workout, I'm usually more sore on the 2nd day (which is this morning actually and my thighs are killing me).

I am a little disappointed about the topic though. Was looking forward to hearing some of those dom answers! Muwahahahha.

:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretch the area affected. If you're not working out, ibuprofren.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I walk around and complain about it, and then my wife will roll her eyes because it's entirely self inflicted. And then through cletched teeth I'll say: "Ahhh yeah! It hurts so good."
  • katiekate58
    Options
    Whenever I do a tough leg day, I pay for it two days later. The day after is always fine, but the day after that, oh man, I can barely walk! I'm working on stretching, and taking some advil to ease it up.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options

THIS^^^

I was looking forward to this thread too :(

:laugh:
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    What is your workout schedule like? How many days a week can you/do you workout? Would you consider doing a split? This would allow you to train different muscle groups and give the ones that are sore a day or two of rest.

I have found that sometimes doing another workout will diminish the soreness (increased blood flow maybe?). For example, I have only experienced severe DOMS in the legs, but a casual walk or slow trot on a treadmill can often reduce the soreness (at least temporarily - during the workout - it'll come back afterwards).

I only get bad DOMS doing squats. I work out 5 days a week between cardio and strength training different parts. Just the squats are a killer for my legs...sucks because it effects performance in Kempo. Thx
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If it's really rough, I'll use some IcyHot or any other topical analgesic. If necessary, Ibuprofen. I'm on a 4-day split (chest/legs/shoulders/back) so I've usually already recovered before it's an issue. Make sure that you're getting enough sleep.