BodyPump & Lifting heavy with husband

Options
Hey all -

I go to the gym every morning for classes. I've been doing BodyPump 3 days a week. My husband who leaves work at 5AM can only work out in the evenings and wants to start lifting with me. In BodyPump, I do more reps and less weight than I do when lifting with him. He has me adding 2.5 lbs every time I can complete a challenge (3 sets of 12).

I've been lifting with him on my "off" days of BodyPump. I'm still taking a class in the morning but it's more cardio and less strength. So far it's been working but I'm also not lifting a huge amount of weight (bench 70 lbs, military 55 lbs, leg press 90, biceps 15, triceps 20, squats 45/bar only).

Do you think this is too much and I need to choose one over the other, or should I keep going?

Thanks!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I'd say that eventually (in a month or two) you'll hit a level where the lack of recovery time is going to impact your progress on the heavy lifts. Your body will tend to let you know when you get there. At that point, you'll have to decide on your priorities (one option would be to go to three-a-week "heavy" days, and twice-weekly BodyPump with very light weights). Cross that bridge when you get there.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will hurt you but I see Body Pump as cardio. I do boot camps that incorporate weights but I also have my separate lifting days. I've been doing it awhile and haven't noticed any negative effects. Everyone is different so if your performance starts to become effected then switch it up.
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you both, solid advice. I guess I'm asking because my heavy lifts were hard yesterday even though I didn't increase weight. I'll see how it goes but I do enjoy both and want to continue to support my husband who has a less flexible schedule than my own.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i see body pump as cardio also, or if i use less weight and pace myself slower i sometimes use it for an active recovery day. Just pace yourself, if you're having fun, do it all.e You dont have to max out every workout.