Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    2Poufs wrote: »
    VLCD are inherently dangerous

Medically prescribed VLCDs are perfectly safe. They have complete nutrition and are undertaken for a limited period in obese patients often with other conditions than just obesity.
    They are not "perfectly safe". They may be medically appropriate, but that doesn't make them perfectly safe.

The relevant authorities disagree. "Very-low-calorie diets are generally safe and well-tolerated" etc.
    @D14HrAQAMR…ve/health/Library/CAD/abstract12030.html). The intensity of protein in the liquid diets can cause an electrolyte imbalance which results in irregular heart beats (http://www.columbia.net/1source/winter95/diet.html). Studies show that 25% of the people on liquid diets develop gallstones due to their inability to contract bile.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    re maintenance from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141015190832.htm

"The Australian trial included 200 obese adults (BMI 30-45kg/m²) who were randomly assigned to either a 12-week rapid weight loss (RWL) programme on a very-low-calorie diet (450-800 kcal/day) or a 36-week gradual weight-loss (GWL) programme. The GWL programme reduced participants' energy intake by approximately 500 kcal/day in line with current dietary weight loss guidelines. Participants who lost more than 12.5% of their bodyweight were then placed on a weight maintenance diet for 3 years.

Participants who lost weight faster were more likely to achieve target weight loss: 81% of participants in the RWL group lost ≥12.5% of their bodyweight versus just 50% in the GWL group. The researchers found that the initial rate of weight loss did not affect the amount or rate of weight regain in these patients who entered the subsequent weight maintenance period, as similar amounts of weight were regained after 3 years by participants who had lost weight on either diet programme. Weight regain was around 71% in both groups after 3 years."

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(14)70200-1/abstract
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    re maintenance from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141015190832.htm

"The Australian trial included 200 obese adults (BMI 30-45kg/m²) who were randomly assigned to either a 12-week rapid weight loss (RWL) programme on a very-low-calorie diet (450-800 kcal/day) or a 36-week gradual weight-loss (GWL) programme. The GWL programme reduced participants' energy intake by approximately 500 kcal/day in line with current dietary weight loss guidelines. Participants who lost more than 12.5% of their bodyweight were then placed on a weight maintenance diet for 3 years.

Participants who lost weight faster were more likely to achieve target weight loss: 81% of participants in the RWL group lost ≥12.5% of their bodyweight versus just 50% in the GWL group. The researchers found that the initial rate of weight loss did not affect the amount or rate of weight regain in these patients who entered the subsequent weight maintenance period, as similar amounts of weight were regained after 3 years by participants who had lost weight on either diet programme. Weight regain was around 71% in both groups after 3 years."

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(14)70200-1/abstract

Very helpful info on risk of regain where one loses fast for slowly. Thanks

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Gale - I'm confused, I don't see anyone discussing Low Carb High Fat here (except you)

I think he thinks VLCD stands for "very low CARB diet" instead of "CALORIE"

Yes I had another thread in mind plus I do not grasp the low calorie diet be because I would be hungry all of the time. I got into Low Carb High Fat without knowing what it was to manage my pain and it worked after only 30 days.

I am glad that those who need very low calorie diets can master them. Best of success to each.

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    VLCD are inherently dangerous

Medically prescribed VLCDs are perfectly safe. They have complete nutrition and are undertaken for a limited period in obese patients often with other conditions than just obesity.

I'm on one and it's not perfectly safe. There are still very real risks and side effects and I've suffered some of those. Those risks and side effects are still better than the alternative. However, they aren't perfectly safe, even medically prescribed and under a doctor's care. They're just safer than doing it yourself and a better alternative than remaining obese or dying.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @GaleHawkins ... VLCD = Very Low Calorie Diet Not low carb!

Thanks for correcting my wrong assumption due to living in a very low carb environment for the past year. I am OK losing weight on 2600 calories with my pain manage eating lifestyle. Best of success for those on very low calorie diets. I agree most all diets do work if we stick with them for life.