Checking off your weight for a race

Options
How does this make you feel?

I was just signing up for a fall 5K, with my half training, it recommends it. The only one close to me, has an option to choose "Filly" or "Clydesdale" if you are female over 140 and male over 190.

It's the first time I have seen this as an option and I've run quite a few races.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's pretty common in bike races... I have no problem with it. Is it all that different than being put into an age group?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There is an organization called "USA Clydesdale Filly Racing Federation" that hosts multi-sport events. Perhaps they're organizing the race.
    http://www.clydesdale.org/
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer, not saying I have a problem with it. Just taken aback as it's the first time I've had to register as a horse and not a human female :)@kami3006 I bet you're right.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think it's so they can hand out more medals lol, I've seen them too, but at least from what I've seen its not mandatory.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I've seen this in a few races, but it's optional to check whether you are actually a Clydesdale. You would just check it if you want to be considered for specific prizes given out to that group. I don't think it's required.
    For one race, I saw that if you registered as a Clydesdale, they actually had a scale there to confirm. That seems pretty terrible.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've seen this in a few races, but it's optional to check whether you are actually a Clydesdale. You would just check it if you want to be considered for specific prizes given out to that group. I don't think it's required.
    For one race, I saw that if you registered as a Clydesdale, they actually had a scale there to confirm. That seems pretty terrible.

Since you are volunteering that you are at least X weight, it doesn't seem bad (insulting? hurtful?) to be weighed. I'm 149. If I got on the scale and they said, "hey you're 139, you're not a Clydesdale" I wouldn't be upset (though I would wonder what was going on with the scale.)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Since you are volunteering that you are at least X weight, it doesn't seem bad (insulting? hurtful?) to be weighed. I'm 149. If I got on the scale and they said, "hey you're 139, you're not a Clydesdale" I wouldn't be upset (though I would wonder what was going on with the scale.)

True - I meant "terrible" in the sense of my own personal feelings about getting on a scale in front of a bunch of strangers, not that it was being done to be hurtful or insulting.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's pretty common in triathlon (although for USAT rules, the categories are Athena and Clydesdale - women over 165 and men over 220).

It's basically an extra category for awards. They have the usual age group awards, and then they have the Athena and Clydesdale awards - if you sign up for the Athena/Clydesdale categories, you are not eligible for age group awards (although some races also split the Athena/Clydesdale categories into 39 & under and 40 & up).
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Definitely not something I would do...no need to publicly share my weight. Eek....and seriously...being a woman over 140 makes you a giant? Really?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

IDK...there are a lot of sports that require you to weigh in to verify that you're actually in the correct grouping and not cheating.
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    It's pretty common in triathlon (although for USAT rules, the categories are Athena and Clydesdale - women over 165 and men over 220).

It's basically an extra category for awards. They have the usual age group awards, and then they have the Athena and Clydesdale awards - if you sign up for the Athena/Clydesdale categories, you are not eligible for age group awards (although some races also split the Athena/Clydesdale categories into 39 & under and 40 & up).

also this^^^
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    Definitely not something I would do...no need to publicly share my weight. Eek....and seriously...being a woman over 140 makes you a giant? Really?

The athena/clyde was originally made for taller athletes who had no hope of competing with the ideal smaller racers (think 5"6' Kenyans). Then it sort of migrated into the group that overweight people fell into. And yes, for a typical competitive long distance female runner, 140 would be off the chart. Edit: It's actually too heavy even for a male distance runner.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    For the Pittsburgh Marathon, us larger ladies, over 150 are "Athena's". I hopped on the scale no problem, only the officials see the results. Hey, even at my smallest I am over 150, for goodness sake I am 5'9".
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it, for the very reason gdyment highlights. Right now, I'm not going to be competitive in my age group, but for my height/weight, I'm reasonably fast.
  • bairborne
    bairborne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have run 44 half marathons, 10K's and a few 5K's and never heard of that before??
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    bairborne wrote: »
    Wow, I have run 44 half marathons, 10K's and a few 5K's and never heard of that before??

@bairborne - I've only ever seen it for triathlons. I've never seen it for straight up running races.