Brand New- Tips on How to get started PLEASE!!!!

smaverick010
smaverick010 Posts: 18 Member
edited August 2015 in Getting Started
Hi,
I would love some help from any pros out there(and non pros that are really passionate about this)
I have always been on the heavy side and was diagnosed with PCOS in 2010.
I am currently 225 5'7 and would like to be at 170.
Please give me tips on how to get started!
I am a complete sugar addict and need to be given some direction.
I also just had a baby (c-section)
I want to be successful this time and would love tips, friends, and a great place to start.

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Buy a food scale and log EVERYTHING.

Start exercising daily.

If your primary exercise is or will be walking or running, consider getting a fitness tracker (FitBit, etc), and then link your tracker to MFP.

Consider setting your loss goal fairly aggressively in the beginning, as that will help you stay motivated.

Profit!
  • smaverick010
    smaverick010 Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you!
    I hate working out so I don't know where to start.
    I bought a Tae Bo Video because it is what I did back in the day and told myself that I would start walking every day and doing Tae Bo once a week to start ( I have a horrible track record with burn out)
    Thank you!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    I think the tips here are good first steps... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1 As for exercise, try a few and see what you like. I discovered my exercise of choice is yoga. I walk, because that's my measure for progress, but I do yoga for me. Good luck!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Hello! :)

First of all, work out your calorie needs per day to lose 1lb-2lb a week. MFP can do this for you on your profile and there are LOADS of free calculators that can calculate this too. Once you've got a number, you have something to work with.

Plan your exercise based on your fitness. Challenge yourself but don't burn out. Perhaps start with going for walks if you're a complete beginner or join a local gym if you're serious about working out. Gyms can be expensive but don't let that stop you - there are thousands of work-out routines online that you can do at home without any equipment that'll work up a sweat!

Secondly, don't be too hard on yourself. You've just had a baby. Allow yourself the odd treat and remember this is going to be a slow but worthy journey. Good luck!