Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Headache after HIIT/intense cardio? Help!

I just did an hour of a HIIT class and I have a really bad pressure headache that is very slowly going away. I have noticed this after doing Body Attack classes too, I always get this headache.

I drink loads and loads of water throughout the day and whilst exercising so I know it's not that. I do have high blood pressure, so it could be that? I don't understand though as to lower my blood pressure, I need to work out and lose weight! Should I not do such intense workouts? I read that breathing more may also help, so I'll try that too.

Any ideas? Please help!

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    Have you been cleared by your doctor do to high intensity work with your high blood pressure?
    Also, as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. You can do that entirely through food and do lower intensity work. Many folks here eat back all their exercise calories and lose fine as they're still in deficit.
  • No I haven't asked the doctors, worth doing? I know, it's just I do enjoy HIIT and the endorphins afterwards so would love to be able to continue without the head aches! Thanks for your reply.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    No I haven't asked the doctors, worth doing? I know, it's just I do enjoy HIIT and the endorphins afterwards so would love to be able to continue without the head aches! Thanks for your reply.

Yes, worth doing.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Dehydration perhaps? How much water do you drink?
    Also, yes to checking with your doctor.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    I just did an hour of a HIIT class and I have a really bad pressure headache that is very slowly going away. I have noticed this after doing Body Attack classes too, I always get this headache.

I drink loads and loads of water throughout the day and whilst exercising so I know it's not that. I do have high blood pressure, so it could be that? I don't understand though as to lower my blood pressure, I need to work out and lose weight! Should I not do such intense workouts? I read that breathing more may also help, so I'll try that too.

Any ideas? Please help!

Are you gritting your teeth or locking your jaw?
    Perhaps you're unknowingly doing it?
    This used to happen to me when I did very heavy exercise and I trained myself to instead stick my tongue out just a bit if I'm doing something strenous. Staying mindful of it helped a whole bunch.

I hope whatever is plaguing you is identified and resolved quickly and painlessly.
  • Dehydration perhaps? How much water do you drink?

I drink about 3-4 litres a day and a litre-litre and a half in a class. I will book an appointment! Thanks.
  • aledba wrote: »

Any ideas? Please help!

Are you gritting your teeth or locking your jaw?
    Perhaps you're unknowingly doing it?
    This used to happen to me when I did very heavy exercise and I trained myself to instead stick my tongue out just a bit if I'm doing something strenous. Staying mindful of it helped a whole bunch.

I hope whatever is plaguing you is identified and resolved quickly and painlessly.

Well today my friend did say I looked like I was gritting my teeth ha! It was so intense I don't really know what I was doing, so worth keeping and eye on and focusing on breathing. Thank you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

I drink about 3-4 litres a day and a litre-litre and a half in a class. I will book an appointment! Thanks.

I'd veer towards hyponatremia. That's a hel of a lot of water.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member

I'd veer towards hyponatremia. That's a hel of a lot of water.

I drink the same amount. And can easily drink 1-2 liters of water during strength training.
  • Leeleelahlah
    Leeleelahlah Posts: 44 Member
    I would add some electrolytes to your water; that's a lot to drink during a workout.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    It's not uncommon in a calorie deficit and doing intense workouts to get headaches. Some people get headaches just from a calorie deficit alone. With your blood pressure issues it would be good to talk to your doctor.

Also 3-4 liters of water a day isn't really a lot. I drink 5 or 6 a day and can easily drink 1 or 2 during an hour long weightlifting workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Eat more. Carbs specifically, but more in general

ETA. wait. just noticed the OP has been diagnosed with high blood pressure. whelp, ignore what i said before and consult with your doc.
  • upgrayyed
    upgrayyed Posts: 3 Member
    Any sort of exercise will increase your blood pressure and could be causing your headaches. I would for sure get that evaluated before you continue. There are a few treatable conditions which are known to cause hypertension, but they're not very common. Unfortunately most hypertension is "idiopathic", aka without an identifiable cause.

The relationship between excess weight and high blood pressure is not always clear, and losing weight in and of itself is not likely to dramatically lower your blood pressure; similarly, some people can lower blood pressure by restricting sodium intake, but not most. If your hypertension is bad enough, you might need to go on meds. When you get checked out definitely mention the headaches during exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,886 Member
    INCORRECTLY breathing when exercising or tending to hold your breath will increase your blood pressure. Another reason might be that you're tensing the neck muscles during HIIT. Not uncommon.
    Learn correct breathing technique and don't tense up your neck area and see if that helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Headaches could happen because of anything really. But most of the times, we think we take enough water but we actually don't. If you take caffeine during the day as well, you need extra water. You should also make sure that you take enough carbs to get you through the long Body Attack Classes.
    If they still carry on, you should see your doctor.
  • Thanks all for your advice! I've decided to book a docs appointment as I still have a minor headache this morning which isn't right.

I always make sure I listen to my body, and when it needs water I drink it! I am very focused on this.

Food however is a good point as perhaps I didn't have enough energy, as I felt faint and dizzy at some points. I also used to see "stars" when doing HIIT/intense classes and I felt like that was going to come on yesterday but didn't and I managed to avoid it.

I also have a tiny septal defect (hole in the heart) so the blood flow is slightly different to a normal heart, however I've had hospital check-ups about this and they told me exercise would be ok (I even told them about seeing stars sometimes). I think I will monitor this anyway and get checked out by the docs. I'll also monitor my breathing, as I've never thought about that nor made an effort to breath properly before.

Thanks all!
  • aaroessler
    aaroessler Posts: 32 Member
    Just because you're drinking lots of water doesn't necessarily mean you're retaining it. Make sure you're getting enough electrolytes. Also what Ninerbuff said.
  • krichardson2015
    krichardson2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Try coconut water to hydrate!* comes in chocolate*
  • vegaspack
    vegaspack Posts: 30 Member
    Maybe your headaches could be related to the hole in your heart. I have read that some migraines can be caused by that. If you are getting your heart going very fast which is likely in high intensity that could be related.