18# kettlebell for my vacation workouts

Options
55in13
55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
On the 4th I will be packing up the kids and doing a multi stop family visit across 3 states over 10 days. I will get out and run a few times for cardio, but I also wanted something to work on core and upper body toning. I picked up an 18# kettlebell. It's small, just one thing and it was pretty easy to come up with a quick workout - swing, squats, curls and presses. In about 20 minutes I can turn just about my whole body into jelly; a pretty intense workout.

Anyway, I am throwing this out there as part suggestion to others and also to see if others have hot tips or that perfect exercise I have to try. One thing I don't feel like I am currently working is my chest; the presses I am doing are more arm and shoulder fatiguing.

EDIT - even though portability was a driver in getting it, I will use it at home also. It complements my piddling dumb bell collection nicely. I do also belong to the Y, but I like have quick things to do here also.

Replies

• 55in13
    Options
    bump - would love an idea or two that works the chest more. also, less stress on lower back would be nice; the swings are doing a number on it...
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm going to visit some In-laws mid-July and was thinking of getting a kettle ball since I won't have a gym close by.

Here is link that goes over some more kettle all moves: http://m.self.com/fitness/workouts/2013/07/slimming-kettlebell-moves-slideshow?mbid=enws_mow0620
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't have a kettlebell (would like one!) but a quick google search found these websites hope they help:

http://greatist.com/fitness/22-kick-*kitten*-kettlebell-exercises

A few of them there mention they target the chest. Good luck :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Push ups with hands wide apart will work your chest.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a TRX that I am going to pack and take on my holiday
  • 55in13
    Options
    Push ups with hands wide apart will work your chest.
    Yeah, I try to do those also. I am not sure why I have a hard time sticking with body weight exercises; they didn't quit working when all the trendy stuff came along (and I know kettlebells have been around for ages, but there has been an explosion of interest and new routines the last couple of years). Maybe I am scarred for life from high school coaches asking me to drop and give them 50 (usually well deserved :bigsmile: ).
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    (not a kettlebell expert, but I have been working with them for a little while)

If swings are hurting your lower back, I think you're not using the right muscles. The movement should come from your hips, with your core engaged. The very first time I tried kettlebells, my lower back hurt the next day, but then I realized I was doing it wrong and now it never does.

You can lie down and do one-handed chest presses with the kettlebell to work your chest. Basically, you can do anything you can do with a dumbbell.
  • 55in13
    Options
    Basically, you can do anything you can do with a dumbbell.
    But not visa versa; I tried that before I bought a kettlebell. Anyway, I think this is a really good point. With the exception of a few exercises where the hanging weight is awkward, kettlebells can replace dumbbells and if I were just going to get one or two small weights to keep around for toning, I would definitely go with kettlebells over dumbbells.
    If swings are hurting your lower back, I think you're not using the right muscles
    A little YouTube time confirms your suspicion. It is specifically mentioned on one I watched. I was not keeping the core engaged (in this case meaning keeping my pitiful excuse for abs flexed and tight).
  • Wienerbua
    Wienerbua Posts: 19
    Options
    Do Turkish Getups with your kettlebell. It will definitely work your upper body and chest.
  • 55in13
    Options
    bump...
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes Turkish get ups, lie on the floor and press the KB above your chest, straight arm raises or pull the KB to your chin.- look on you tube there's loads of good vids.

Take 2 KB's if you can - one for single arm and 1 for 2 handed, and of course enjoy your holiday
  • 55in13
    Options
    One more bump for the Saturday crowd. I wish I had a good standing exercise that works the chest...
  • Woofdah
    Woofdah Posts: 1
    Options
    If your lower back is feeling the pain of kettlebell swings then I am certain you need to slightly tweak your form. I have switched from hard core lifting in a weight room to only using kettlebells and resistance bands. As someone mentioned before the swing comes completely from the hips. Take a wander through YouTube there are a number of great demos on just how to do it. The key is to thrust back through the hips. You want to feel like you are sitting down on a bench when you are going back.

I have struggled with lower back problems for my whole life. Kettlebells have taken the pain away and strengthened those muscles. Not to mention that it is great cardio. The standard rule of thumb is 20 calories a minute with KB's.