Tracking calories versus tracking macros

Options
Do I really need to be exact with the macro breakdown or can I just stick with my caloric deficit (suggested by TDEE/Scooby)

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? If you are just looking to drop weight, just watching your calorie deficit will do that. If you are concerned about preserving muscle mass in the process, watching your macros is a good idea (protein specifically)
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Right now just looking to drop weight and then want to move onto building muscle once I get to my goal weight (understanding that I will probably gain at that point)
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I watch calories first and protein second but I make protein important. I'm usually within 10g of where I need to be each day. I don't really pay attention to any other stats. Besides the scale :)
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need to make sure I get enough protein for sure... Maybe I will concentrate on that number alone for now and see how I do (well along with total calories!)
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do. Not sure if it's right or wrong but I will make a different food choice if I have 300 calories to use and I only have 4 carbs available.