nausea after working out -help

thia19
thia19 Posts: 7 Member
So I just started working out again after a long time, I was ok during the first 40 minutes of cardio, I then did push ups, squats then I started to feel nauseous. Why is that? What should I do to feel better?

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    It could be dehydration. I get nauseous after a run in hot humid weather sometimes. Especially if you sweat a lot, it could be electrolytes...try a few sips of a sports drink (they are high calorie though so don't go crazy), or what I do is have a few sips of pickle juice...all the salt replenishes what I lost, it has no calories, and I feel better very very quickly.

It could also be that you ate a heavy meal too close to your workout.

It could also be low blood sugar...especially if have gone a long while without eating anything.

But it is common...nothing to worry about.
  • thia19
    Well the water I have been drinking, I did have dinner twenty minutes before I started my cardio. I had a small bowl of special k cereal. Nothing heavy, but thank you for the advice.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Oh my, I feel for you, have been there many times....The problem could be many things....It
    could be dehydration, which can happen easily if you don't watch the water intake/sweat ratio........could be you ate too soon before.......or it could be that you didn't eat enough....or as simple as that the food you put in didn't have the right nutrients to fuel you....when I get pukey while working out, I put on the brakes, and take a nice chug of chocolate milk, or have a quick apple....just something to fill that spot, and lend my body the extra fuel it's begging for.....Then get back to it! Good luck!
  • JustMissTracy
    thia19 wrote: »
    So I just started working out again after a long time, I was ok during the first 40 minutes of cardio, I then did push ups, squats then I started to feel nauseous. Why is that? What should I do to feel better?

Might I also suggest that you do your strength training first....then cardio....you may also be depleting your energy stores too fast, and trying to push/pull/lift on little to no energy remaining....(I've also heard doing your workout in that order is better for weightloss/body sculpting, but I have nothing to show you to prove that...)
  • thia19
    Thank you Tracy. I'm trying not to push myself too much especially since my endurance is low.
  • thia19
    Thanks, I will try it that way next time.
  • JustMissTracy
    Good girl, go easy....you have the rest of your life and his to workout, take your time :) xo
  • JustMissTracy
    Do you like sweet potatoes? Someone today suggested having one ready for after your workout....something to do with bringing your glycemic stores to their proper level....it's worth a try!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    thia19 wrote: »
    Well the water I have been drinking, I did have dinner twenty minutes before I started my cardio. I had a small bowl of special k cereal. Nothing heavy, but thank you for the advice.

If you do 40 minutes of cardio, depending on the conditions and intensity you may sweat a lot. If you do, and keep drinking water you replace the fluid you lost (so you won't be dehydrated) but it doesn't replace all the electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc). That's why sports drinks or pickle juice or coconut water (other people use other things...there are many options) can help (if that is the issue).

Also, too much water WHILE exercising can also make some people nauseous.

A small bowl of cereal isn't heavy. But try experimenting with the timing though. Maybe have it an hour before instead of 20 minutes before. If the food is the issue, you just need to find what timing works best for you. If you are exercising intensely, all the blood is diverted away from your stomach to feed the muscles you are using. That can sometimes result in nausea if your stomach was trying to digest something because that process gets interrupted.

Also, some people can't exercise on an empty stomach (like before breakfast or even after several hours of not eating) without feeling a little nauseous. I think this is because of low blood sugar. However, others have no problem doing this. We're all a little different, so you just need to find the food timing, water, electrolyte combination that works best for you...a little trial and error.

• thia19
    That's interesting, thank you. I will try that.
  • thia19
    Thank you MoiAussi93
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    You may need to drink more water or you may be over-doing it.

You don't necessarily need to run miles on the treadmill to lose weight. Why don't you try short bursts of sprinting for 15 minutes? (Example - 1 minute running, 1 minute walking, 1 minute running etc). This'll stop you burning out. Incorporate more weight based exercises too! Listen to your body :)