MUST HAVE items in fridge for weightloss (foods)

Options

Replies

• lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Good thread as I probably need to add some to mine (which I will share)....

Here are my go to weight loss foods:

1. Greek Yogurt - Love this stuff, so many different flavors.
    2. Celery - Some people hate it...I love it plain with just a little salt
    3. Eggs - Enough said
    4. Fruits - Bananas, Apples, Pears, etc.

and my favorite that most will scoff at...

5. Spicy Fried Pork Skins - I know it sounds gross, but I absolutely love them because they replace the crunch of potato chips, are actually quite filling, and have no carbs. They're high in sodium so I do eat them in moderation. But, I love eating just half a handful very slowly and it feels like I had a bag of chips.

Good luck!
    oh ok my dad used to always eat pork grinds (i think thats what they are called?? -spicy fried pork skins lol) i know popcorn is also pretty low on calories... ill try this instead of chips and all the bad things i have... lol...
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Skinny taste.com , Pinterest will have some great suggestions . I keep no sugar chocolate pudding and apples and baby carrots ANSI peanut butter handy. Also 0 fat Greek yogurt
    OK cool :) stupid question but is peanut butter healthy??? i was thinking of putting some on celery but im confused because one mfp friend said that her addiction was peanut butter like it was a bad thing??? is it i always thought it was healthy :)

Peanut butter is essentially a fat. It is a healthier fat, with some nice benefits and WONDERFUL taste, but it is very calorie-dense. I have peanut butter every day. I crave it more than chocolate. But I plan ahead for it. You just have to be careful of serving size and not carry the jar and spoon around with you, but it doesn't have to be "unhealthy".
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat 25% less fat peanut butter pretty much every day on my toast for breakfast - if you like to eat PB alot, why not eat the lighter version?
  • foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options
    Most of my go-to snacks aren't in the fridge but here's my snacks:

*Yogurt: I prefer regular, non-fat over Greek personally.
    *Cashews: I LOVE cashews in any form: Raw, Roasted, Salted, unsalted, flavored... Cashews are natural energy boosters too.
    *Bananas: At my Fred Meyer (Kroger) Organic Bananas are only 9 cents more per-pound than traditional.
    *Blue Berries (Or berries in general): 1 cup has tons of vital nutrients and anti-oxidants!
    *Quinoa... Look it up, its an extremely awesome and tasty food. I mix it with Black + Brown rices in Olive + Sesame oils with spices and tons of garden veggies.
    *Dark Chocolate 80%+: I like Theo's brand Organic, its usually on sale for $1.50 a big bar at Fred Meyer in the Nutrition Center.
    *Tea: I love to drink Red and Black teas (Cold, I dislike hot drinks) but can't stand the taste of Green Teas so I take a concentrated green tea capsule, its supposed to boost my metabolism. Thought I'd give it a shot, its cheap and organic.

I know you said not organic, but I try to eat mostly Organic foods so anything I said that's organic you can find in traditional as well! Though, at least in my area of Portland, Oregon, Organic foods are sometimes even cheaper per ounce than traditional foods.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I eat clean pretty much all the time; my diary is open if you'd like to look at it for ideas. :-)
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    i need help.. i think i want to make a lifestyle change and watch what i am eating... ( i am on a budget and only go to a regular grocery store-not organic or anything/although i know they sell organic items ) anyways what are the top 5 items in your fridge for your go to snack???

also what is a good healthy meal i can make?? or do you know any sites that post low calorie meal choices??

it doesnt have to be SUPER healthy but basically i need to grow in knowledge in how to eat properly because my diet consists of JUNK/FAST FOOD/more junk AND more fast food lol.. seriously.. im very bad... i really want to lose 5 pounds :) the healthy way ofcourse..

Pinterest is your friend.

Here's my healthy food board: http://pinterest.com/sparlingo/healthy-or-healthier-eats/

To make my life simpler, here are guidelines that I follow for my eating (and I call them "guidelines" because being strict and following rules has never been realistic or encouraging for me):
    - choose processed foods less frequently
    - eat enough protein
    - eat more veggies.

If I do the above while sticking to my calorie limit, I find that I naturally choose junk food less often, and filling, nutritious foods more often. So my "formula" for dinner is usually protein + veg. Breakfast usually involves eggs. Lunch is leftovers, or whatever I feel like.

Makes it simpler for me. Simple is good!

Edited to add:

If you'd like me to make a list of my 5 must-have foods (for myself personally):

- Eggs
    - Chicken Breast
    - Peanut butter
    - Greek yogurt
    - Avocado.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Skinny taste.com , Pinterest will have some great suggestions . I keep no sugar chocolate pudding and apples and baby carrots ANSI peanut butter handy. Also 0 fat Greek yogurt
    OK cool :) stupid question but is peanut butter healthy??? i was thinking of putting some on celery but im confused because one mfp friend said that her addiction was peanut butter like it was a bad thing??? is it i always thought it was healthy :)

I prefer almond butter, but they are very similar. It's a good way to get extra calories, protein and fat in your diet, particularly after a workout. It's fairly calorie dense, so it helps you make up for your exercising deficit without making you feel stuffed to the gills.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

*Cashews: I LOVE cashews in any form: Raw, Roasted, Salted, unsalted, flavored... Cashews are natural energy boosters too.
    *Bananas: At my Fred Meyer (Kroger) Organic Bananas are only 9 cents more per-pound than traditional.
    *Blue Berries (Or berries in general): 1 cup has tons of vital nutrients and anti-oxidants!
    *Quinoa... Look it up, its an extremely awesome and tasty food. I mix it with Black + Brown rices in Olive + Sesame oils with spices and tons of garden veggies.
    *Dark Chocolate 80%+: I like Theo's brand Organic, its usually on sale for $1.50 a big bar at Fred Meyer in the Nutrition Center.
    *Tea: I love to drink Red and Black teas (Cold, I dislike hot drinks) but can't stand the taste of Green Teas so I take a concentrated green tea capsule, its supposed to boost my metabolism. Thought I'd give it a shot, its cheap and organic.

I know you said not organic, but I try to eat mostly Organic foods so anything I said that's organic you can find in traditional as well! Though, at least in my area of Portland, Oregon, Organic foods are sometimes even cheaper per ounce than traditional foods.
    OH A GREEN TEA CAPSULE where can i get one! that sounds awesome! and everything you mentioned i like! i am also not a fan of greek yogurt... i like original... plus i hear greek yogurt produces toxic chemicals during the making process... but thats a different thread so ill stop.. ALL UR FOOD CHOICES SOUND GREAT i also loveee cashews i didnt know they were energy boosters!
  • foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options

OH A GREEN TEA CAPSULE where can i get one! that sounds awesome! and everything you mentioned i like! i am also not a fan of greek yogurt... i like original... plus i hear greek yogurt produces toxic chemicals during the making process... but thats a different thread so ill stop.. ALL UR FOOD CHOICES SOUND GREAT i also loveee cashews i didnt know they were energy boosters!

Yeah its for another post but the Greek Yogurt produces Acid Whey when strained, which is harmful to the environment as I've read. I am very nature oriented but my main reason for regular yogurt is the texture, Greek yogurt has what I consider a 'Liquid Chalk Powder' texture and I can't stand it.

Cashews are great, I prefer them (and cashew butter) to peanuts! Smoother texture in my opinion. There are numerous, respectful, resources online about cashews and what they can do for your body. I bring a little baggy of 1 cup of cashews when I do my daily 5+ mile walk, keeps me going! I mistyped, the green tea capsules I bought are not organic, there are Organic variations but they are a few dollars more. I live by Fred Meyer stores, called Kroger in most other places in the US, not sure where you live. I bought a 50 count, 500mg green tea supplement that's Kroger brand for $6. Its in the same isle as the Diet foods like Slim fast, etc.

I do know that most stores like Walmart, Safeway and others have store brands of Green Tea Capsules too, there are real brands but are usually a little more. I only name store brands since you mentioned a budget like I currently am on. I've read that the concentrated 500 mg capsules are equal to about 10 cups of drinking leaf tea. Not sure if its 100% accurate, but that's what I read when researching them.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Staples in my cupboard/fridge/freezer are:

*Onions
    *Carrots
    *Chopped tinned tomatoes
    *Bananas
    *Arborio Rice
    *Chicken Breast (I keep a bag in the freezer)
    *Prawns (frozen)
    *Porridge oats/ oatmeal
    *Tortilla Wraps

I think if you have onions, carrots and tomatoes you can make a meal from anything. 45g arborio rice made as a risotto and bulked up with chicken breast and vegetables is a really filling and tasty plate of food. I don't actually like prawns all that much but tonnes of protein for very little calories and if you make a sauce you can disguise the taste of them! My herbs and spices cupboard is full to bursting though and I do use these a lot to create different meals. I keep my bananas in the freezer and take them out and leave to thaw for around five minutes. You can either eat just as a banana or chop up and use in a smoothie. Most work mornings I make a smoothie with milk, banana, porridge oats or oatmeal and 10g peanut butter (tiny wee amount but adds flavour). i use tortilla wraps as well- either just as a filled wrap with salad, toasted in the health grill or made into a enchilada with chilli inside and a cheese sauce over the top.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    frozen spinach(defrosted and drained for omelet)
    eggs
    cheese
    salsa
    cottage cheese
    Non fat Greek yogurt(plain)
    PB2
    Frozen Berries
    Fresh Berries
    Almonds
    brazil nuts
    cashews
    Flat Out wraps
    Fresh Spinach/Spring Mix
    chicken breast
    lean pork
    seafood(fish, scallops, shrimp)
    fresh broccoli for sauteing
    brussel sprouts for sauteing
    extra virgin olive oil

Since its summer and I've increased my exercise, I make a protein shake using whey powder, milk, ice, frozen strawberries, and non fat strawberry yogurt. Makes a huge serving(3 cups?) for just over 250 calories. It helps fulfill my "its hot outside" so I want ice cream.

A food scale is so important! I forgo the "diet" versions of these things for the real thing. They taste so much better but I am also very careful to measure out a serving and record it in mfp.
  • misschip1983
    misschip1983 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    my in the fridge foods are

greek yogurt (I like it with a small drizzle of honey)

mixed fruit salad

bag of rocket

low fat sweet chilli cream cheese ( perfect to top sweet potatoes with)

salad items

One thing what is a must have is ice lollys, there low cals and last longer than a chocolate bar.

I also have popcorn on hand and pretzels .

love noodles to go with stir frys to.
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Kosher Pickles.
    Kimchi.
    Green Olives.

The salt is as satisfying as fat or sugar.
    Pickles and Kimchi are low calorie, and before you eat too many you are tired of them.
    Olives need to be counted, but they are also very satisfying.

Not much on the raw vegetable end, but certainly they play a huge role.
  • redchick75
    Options
    Funny you ask this. I just did a google search for 1200 cal menu plan a d found heaps and if you suss a few out you can have some that are pretty standard foods that you will most likely ave in your cupboard/ fridge. Main things I have in my fridge that is a must are
    Skinny milk - for tea etc
    Eggs as they are better for you than cereals and keep you fuller longer
    Lots of veggies main ones I use are carrots celery I make snack packs with some nuts. Then zucchini sweet potato
    Fruit pretty much any but watch bananas as they do have lots of sugar
    Soda water when I have a craving for soft drink I have soda water with a drop of diet cordial ( I figure its less sugar)

Pantry
    Must green mint tea great for weightloss an stops cravings
    Nuts keeps you full
    Tuna great with salads and sandwiches
    Multigrain bread
    Bake beans
    Ryvita biscuits

Hope this has motivated you and helped you in some way good luck with it all!! When ever you have the neighbors over bring out all your junk food for them to eat. You will be doing yourself a favour and they will love you for it.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Peanut butter has protein, but it also has a huge amount of fat. One tablespoon is about 200 calories.

I'm not sure what peanut butter you've used or seen that has 200 calories per tablespoon. Even the honey/peanut butter combo that Peter Pan makes, is still only 110 calories for a tablespoon.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Peanut butter has protein, but it also has a huge amount of fat. One tablespoon is about 200 calories.
    Two TBSP is 200 calories. I buy almond butter or lower sugar peanut butter. Everything is okay in moderation.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Jif peanut butter is 190 calories for 2 tablespoons, at least that's what the jar in my pantry says. However, I switched over to PB2 and it's only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. And I actually love it better than the processed peanut butter. And I get to have more peanut butter too!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Fat is not the enemy, your body needs fat. Eating fat doesn't make you fat, eating too much does.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Some staples in my pantry/fridge that have really helped (although my list may not be as 'healthy' as some, it works for me)

Maple Grove Farms Fat Fee Balsamic Vinegarette - 15 cals for 2 Tablespoons and yummy.
    Sargento Ultra Thin Cheese slices - 40 to 45 cals per slice
    EAS Advantage Chocolate Protein Shakes - 110 cals and ready to grab and go
    Eggs, Eggs & More Eggs (I'm lucky, I have 11 hens that provide for me-- I just have to find the eggs!)
    Mama Lupe's low carb tortillas - 60 cals
    Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars - Yasso 80 cals and delish
    Chicken Breast
    Lean Beef
    Hungry Girl Fold it Flatbreads - 100 cals and better than a hamburger bun
    Flat Out Flatbreads - 140 cals for pizza
    Ballpark Lean Pork Franks - 70 cals and 5 grams of fat
    Sara Lee 45 calories and delicious bread - it really is good
    Turkey Sausage Crumbles - I use 1/2 a serving which is 35 calories for omelets
    Turkey Pepperoni - for Pizza

I'm certain there are others I'm forgetting. Of course I keep lots of salad stuff and generally have some type of salad prior to lunch and dinner. I find it makes the meal last longer and makes it more filling for very few calories.

Good luck!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Wine? or is it just me:ohwell: