Replies

• hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwilso37 wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    cwilso37 wrote: »
    Not to be a wet blanket, but I am going to be a wet blanket. There is a reason why mfp only allows 2 lb a week loss. It is typically the highest amount to safely lose weight. That is only for people with a lot of weight to lose. Half the people that have said "in" have less than 30 lbs to lose. This is not smart or sustainable.

If you are just starting out then you can lose this in water weight but that isn't truly losing weight.

Not that I disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but for just one month I don't think it's that bad. Just don't plan on setting the world on fire in the gym or on the track this month.

I can not comment on any form of health effects (what I assume you mean by bad). I can say it promotes unhealthy ideas of weight loss across all weights. To accomplish this challenge (assuming not losing initial water weight), most would have to severely under eat to create the caloric deficit large enough. This says nothing of the negative side effects mentally when a person is unable to meet the challenge.

Agreed. Unless you are morbidly obese, it is too much to lose in 30 days. You may not get sick, but it resembles the behaviour of fad diets which cannot be sustained for the long run. So what's the point? Only true lifestyle change helps.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If only I were not on vacation in September...
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I can't cut enough calories to lose 10# in a month as I'm already on 1100 calories and losing about 0.5 # a week. But I wish you all the best and am looking forward to reading your results!!
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The only way I'll lose 10 pounds in a month is if it falls out of my pocket in the form of a banknote.
  • sashajasmin
    sashajasmin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    :)
  • sashajasmin
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I can't cut enough calories to lose 10# in a month as I'm already on 1100 calories and losing about 0.5 # a week. But I wish you all the best and am looking forward to reading your results!!

Even I don't want cut my calories too. I want try to loose 10 pounds.
  • sashajasmin
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

Even I don't want cut my calories too. I want try to loose 10 pounds and thanks for your encouragement.
  • cgh0513_2
    cgh0513_2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join your group!
  • babycake3892
    babycake3892 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would love to join the group as well
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that would put me at ~1250 cals a day....
    More power to you folks.......

Let me clarify.
    My maintenance is ~2600. I'm losing weight at 2000. There is no way on God's green earth that I'm dropping cals down another 750 a day for a total deficit of 1350 calories a day. Not happening.
  • peggykirkby
    peggykirkby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 1150/cals, down from 1200, only because my activity level went from active to sedate, due to illness.

That being said, I am more critically aware of the types of foods I'm consuming, as well as having upped vitamins & supplements that I would normally acquire from food, which I usually burn as excercise calories, at least until I'm back on my feet.

Providing that you supplement your lowered caloric intake with those nutrients you're sacrificing, maintain ONLY a healthy diet as your base and truly understand the signals your body gives you when it lacks something necessary...AND provided you do not over tax your body (calries vs activity level), then striving to lose 10 lbs in a month (which is only 1/4 lb more than advisable) shouldn't hurt...INTERMITTENTLY, AS NEEDED, VERY SHORT TERM.

Your best bet, though? Go no lower than a 1200/day calorie goal, but INCREASE your activity level. At age 61, activity level: Moderately Active, adding three to four days Active gym/fitness with 1200 cals per day, I went from 178 lbs to 160 lbs in five weeks.

With that, every day at the gym I had to eat my calories back to the tune of 800-1000 calories burned...which was nice when it meant I could take that whole lemon pepper chicken breast at dinner and add a good sized banana strawberry smoothie to my lunch!

So I wish all of you the best of luck and success...BUT BE SMART AS WELL!

• neener19
    neener19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would like to join. 10 pounds a months is already my goal. Give or take a pound. I don't understand though why people are saying it's bad? The recommended is 2 pounds a week. That's 8-10 pounds a month anyway? As there is 4-5 weeks in a month right? So please count me in.
  • sashajasmin
    Options
    Hello, all
    I think every body is on mission. Let's see how many pounds we are going to lose by the end of September. Some of our friends are working very hard. All the best and have fun.
  • harrisciarn
    harrisciarn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's my plan for September so count me in
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm in 1000%
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'll join...I need to lose 8lbs but 10 would be better! ! Let's rock this people ☺
  • Smoothroz
    Smoothroz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Count me in to losing 10lbs by the end of September. It's only one month and I think it's safe enough for that short period. Where are we keeping track? Here?
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I will try it, will you add me to the group please
  • jenn10302001
    jenn10302001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would love to give it a shot if you can add me to the group. I'm new to the MFP community.
  • myselfkavitasahu05
    Options
    I'm in!