Not understanding net calories

I've read the article on it. I've read several posts and sorry I still don't get it? As long as its under the red line I'm assuming that's the goal? Thanks for any help.

Replies

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Net calories are your calories after exercise. If you eat 2000 calories and burn 300 walking you're at 1700.
  • mommamea4
    mommamea4 Posts: 3 Member
    thank you. I get that but what I'm trying to figure out is what would be my *ideal* net calorie...where do I want to bring that.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    What is the goal MFP set for you? That's your ideal. If you workout, it changes how much you can eat.

My goal is 1800...so my net goal everyday is to hit as close to exactly 1800 if I can. If I work out and earn 200 calories, it takes me to 1600...so I can eat those 200 and bring it back to a NET of 1800...does that make sense? No matter what I do in a day, I want my net to be that 1800.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Just put your details in to MFP, make sure you select the correct level of activity, probably lightly active, set it to a reasonable weight loss target.

MFP is designed to always give you your net target, so if you don't do any activity you eat that number, if you do activity, then track the activity and your target calories for the day will change.

Note that MFP can be over on its estimates for calories burnt, so good practice to start with is to half the number it gives you and overtype the calories burnt.

If you use a heart rate monitor for steady state cardio then you can get your calories burnt from that.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    mommamea4 wrote: »
    thank you. I get that but what I'm trying to figure out is what would be my *ideal* net calorie...where do I want to bring that.

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight and choose an appropriate activity level: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Log your exercise and eat back your calories for several weeks. Then reevaluate your progress. In the meantime, learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Start with the target MFP gives you, then adjust for experience. For instance, if you aren't losing at the net target given, reduce your daily by 100 calories (as long as you don't go below the minimum, 1,200) until you do start losing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I've often found I don't need the extra calories given to me on a very active day. But I sure need them the day after!
  • mommamea4
    mommamea4 Posts: 3 Member
    Great advice and I got it now. Thank you everybody!!!!!