Food you don't bother logging

Replies

• MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't log spices or oil used to cook our food. it would be tough to determine how much oil is in my serving when are 5-6 servings cooked. we don't use much oil anyway in our foods.

I don't log diet soda or anything that has no calories...
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    I log and weight EVERYTHING
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    I don't log 0 calorie cooking sprays, or the salt and pepper I use. I am too lazy to log a little pinch of minced garlic or a sprinkle of dry herbs. Other than that I log/weigh everything else- condiments, vitamins/medicine, gum, tea, coffee. I rarely eat off of other peoples' plates. If it goes in my mouth I log it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    There is no food I don't log.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    I usually don't bother logging sunflower seeds, because even a handful of them is like 20 calories. I just mentally account for it and only log if I end up eating a lot.
  • Liss812
    Liss812 Posts: 18 Member
    I don't log herbs, lemon in my water, gum/breathmints
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I don't log black coffee but I do log sf gum and mints, even though they're about the same calories as black coffee. I was trying to figure out why I do that. I think it's because for me I won't drink more than 2 cups of coffee in a day (I'm super caffeine sensitive), but I could pop mints all day and chew gum all day, which could add up to 30 or 40 calories (2 or 3 at a time!).

I do log all veggies, condiments (including vinegar and hot sauces), lemon, lime, etc. but not dry herbs and spices. I might be a little sloppy with logging ones that are super low calories (10 or less); I'll still log them, but might guesstimate rather than measure.

I am also super possessive of my food once I've weighed it out--"Get your own chip, I've weighed this one!" I think it's kind of funny because my pets aren't at all food possessive but I am. ;-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't log anything anymore and haven't for over two years now...

when I did log, I logged most things but didn't get too wrapped up in insignificant things like the couple of calories of marinade that might have stuck to your chicken, etc. I logged things that would add up to significant calories...

you also have to be careful with some condiments...if you're just having a little dollop of ketchup, probably no big deal...but I can pretty much drain half a bottle with some burgers and fries...that's going to add up.

know thyself...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,482 Member
    edited August 2015
    There are many items that I don't bother logging

leaf type veggies
    onions & peppers
    ketchup
    mustard
    any spices or seasonings
    coffee & tea
    spray butter
    lemon juice
    lime juice

Basically anything with a calorie value under 10 or so, although lately I have been logging items of a few cals just for the hell of it.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    2Poufs wrote: »
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Not that I'd log vitamins, but it's not really a question of whether those calories are avoidable, it's a question of crowding out calories that are avoidable. Yes, I get that it's not many calories, it's more the logic of it.

I'm still mid-caffeine intake after a very long night of work, so forgive me for totally missing what you're saying here. Can you please use smaller words and type slowly, because I'm gonna read slowly this morning.
    It doesn't matter if there's no replacement for your vitamin's calories when it comes to logging it or not. If taking a vitamin with X calories is an absolute given and can't be reduced, that's still X calories of something else you can't eat and stay at goal.

Basically, the argument for not logging a vitamin is that the calories are minuscule, not that you're going to take one no matter what.

Ah yes, thank you. I agree.

I do get why some would want to log them though. We do say "log everything" and that qualifies, so I can't fault them for going to the letter.

I don't take a multi as I tend to meet my requirements through diet, but I do take daily meds and a calcium supplement. I log them all even though I don't think I'm on anything with a calorie count. I then use my diary to make sure I'm consistently taking them. Bad things can happen if I don't. I get...itchy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    When I log, I log everything *except* for sometimes the odd squeeze of lemon that might go over a fish or piece of chicken. I usually do log it, but there are a handful of times I haven't. I log supplements etc and everything else. (When I log.)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I'll log spices if I'm creating a recipe, but not if I'm adding directly to my log. I log most of the zero or extremely low cals per serving stuff like pickles, coffee, etc. Cooking spray I log as tsps of oil.

I do not log my daily vitamin + fish oil + fiber because I might be tempted not to take it.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    spices, salt, 1 bite of something, green onions... diet pop
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    I don't log the leafy green parts in a salad usually.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I log EVERYTHING, even a pinch of salt, grind of black pepper. It keeps me right.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    I was going to say that I log everything, but then I started reading the other replies and realized that I've never logged spices. lol. No calories there so I'm not worried. Otherwise I log everything because I want to be able to see how many vegetables, for example, or how much protein, or whatever, that I've eaten in a week. I'm trying to be better about vegetables so it helps me to see it all. So I log it all even that spear of celery which is practically zero. I always log my black tea because I use a little bit of sugar in it and I don't want a random sugar serving to appear in my diary without the tea that went with it. Just because I'm weird like that. lol
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    I don't log black coffee but I do log sf gum and mints, even though they're about the same calories as black coffee. I was trying to figure out why I do that. I think it's because for me I won't drink more than 2 cups of coffee in a day (I'm super caffeine sensitive), but I could pop mints all day and chew gum all day, which could add up to 30 or 40 calories (2 or 3 at a time!).

I do log all veggies, condiments (including vinegar and hot sauces), lemon, lime, etc. but not dry herbs and spices. I might be a little sloppy with logging ones that are super low calories (10 or less); I'll still log them, but might guesstimate rather than measure.

I am also super possessive of my food once I've weighed it out--"Get your own chip, I've weighed this one!" I think it's kind of funny because my pets aren't at all food possessive but I am. ;-)

hahahahaha I'm the same way. "NO you can't have a bite, I've weighed it already!"

• xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    spices or cooking spray. Everything else (incl coffee) gets logged.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    If it's a few spritzes I don't bother with 1cal cooking spray usually, things like Lettuce or Spinach I don't log unless I want it in my diary to look back at for macros, it just seems more effort than its worth to weigh it. Mushrooms I don't bother with unless I'm using a lot, and things like seasonings or milk in tea or coffee I don't worry too much about (unless it's a lattee as then it's more than just a splash). Seem to be doing okay so far without it affecting my goals :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't log gum, most dried spices or bites of vedges. I do log condiments and bites of anything that is calorie dense. I log salt and spices that include sodium and some artificial sweeteners for health reasons. I have high blood pressure and some artificial sweeteners can cause me tummy problems if I consume to much in a short time. I don't log my supplements.