Dorm Room Diet

Options
tessemitchell
tessemitchell Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2015 in Recipes
I am a college student, and finding time to make meals while resisting the temptation of quick and easy food in the cafeteria is tough. Any suggestions for yummy, quick to make meals? I have a microwave, refrigerator, and freezer in my room. I do have access to a kitchen, but the only cooking supplies I have is a cookie sheet/pizza pan. What do y'all suggest? I am 5'1" and just starting out at around 157 lbs. Hoping to lose about 20 lbs and am looking forward to living a healthier lifestyle!

Replies

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of the microwave and steam all my vegetables in it (bowl of veggies with little bit of water in, cling film on top, 5 mins). I find adding feta to any vegetable makes it delicious.

I also make breakfast wraps - round bowl - put a wrap on top and push it down so in makes a pouch you can put stuff in - crack in an egg and remember to poke it with a fork, add some chopped herbs and bacon, microwave for one minute, fold the corners over. Delicious!

Chicken breast with a slice of tomato and a slice of low fat cheese on top works in the microwave.

Overnight oats is a great breakfast and there are loads of recipes on the net.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If you have the space, I would look into getting yourself a small crock-pot. There are a ton of recipes you can make with minimal effort that you can then just refrigerate/freeze and reheat.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    For breakfast try Hungry Girl's Egg Mugs. I like the California, Denver and Mexicali. Egg Beaters has lots of recipes on their site too. So fast and easy. You can put whatever you like in them. hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/best-of-egg-mug-recipes

This would work for lunch of dinner. It make a lot too. You could serve friends, eat all week or freeze the leftovers.soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/08/santa-fe-rice-and-beans.html

For a treat or dessert try angel food cake in the microwave. You can add different things to change the flavor. I have try cocoa powder, cinnamon, peanut butter and jelly, lemon. A box makes many. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/06/mexican-coffee-mug-cake.html
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    if i was in college I would just eat basic stuff that didnt require much cooking. Stock your pantry with microwave packet oatmeal or cereal, peanut butter, maybe raisins or other dried fruit. Then in your fridge I'd have a loaf of bread, some cold cuts/cheese, milk, and some cheap veggies (baby carrots/celery)

then I'd live on that, and focus on veggies and protein when dining out.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    oh, and franzia sunset blush boxed wine is 95 calories per 5 oz glass, and tastes like kool-aid and champagne had a baby.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Had another thought. You can cook a lot of things in foil packets in the oven. Check out the Reynolds wrap website for ideas. Or search for cooking with foil.
  • tessemitchell
    Options
    Thanks everyone (:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    If you have the space, I would look into getting yourself a small crock-pot. There are a ton of recipes you can make with minimal effort that you can then just refrigerate/freeze and reheat.

This. totally.
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd thought about getting a crockpot when I was in college! I used my microwave for a lot of cooking (which you can probably find cooking instructions on google) and I bought myself an electric frying pan! I used it for almost everything and never once went downstairs to use the ovens.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    oh, and franzia sunset blush boxed wine is 95 calories per 5 oz glass, and tastes like kool-aid and champagne had a baby.

Well I know what I'm having for dinner...
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For $8.96 at Walmart you can get the small 2 qt. crockpot that is plenty for one or 2 people. Use it to make tons of different things to be ready when you get in! Easy to make taco meats, meatloaf, soups, chili, chicken of all kinds, egg casseroles, pulled pork, roasts, sauce...so much more! I think that is your best bet.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    pyrex mixing bowl and a frying pan are essential; a crock pot would be wise as well, but I'm sure you are in confined quarters (be weary of aromas and luring guests/wild college students). Quality Tupperware is also essential
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    pyrex mixing bowl and a frying pan are essential; a crock pot would be wise as well, but I'm sure you are in confined quarters (be weary of aromas and luring guests/wild college students). Quality Tupperware is also essential

+1. You're going to be extremely limited with just a crockpot and a microwave. You should be able to make eggs and pasta, at the very least.

If you have access to a kitchen, the bare minimum you should have (in addition to a mixing bowl) is:
    - A frying pan, for sure. I recommend a 10 or 12" porcelain enamel coated nonstick frying pan like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-Style-10-Porcelain-Enamel-Earth-Tone-Non-Stick-Fry-Pan/21189235 . I don't know that particular brand, but even cheap porcelain enamel cookware is great - it cooks evenly, & is nonstick, which means you won't need as much oil or butter. And it's not Teflon (which you would have to worry about a little more if you scratched it). I have a cheap one, I like it bc it's lightweight (compared to cast iron). 10 or 12" means you can make almost anything in it.
    - A stainless steel saucepan, with a lid, like this http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-719-16-Classic-Stainless-Saucepan/dp/B00008CM69/ref=lp_289827_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1440831859&sr=1-1
    - A chef's knife http://www.amazon.com/chefs-knives/b?ie=UTF8&node=289857
    - A spoon & spatula (I like ones like this http://www.amazon.com/Lipper-International-826-Bamboo-Kitchen/dp/B0037NZ5ES/ref=lp_16439841_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1440832683&sr=1-2 )
    - A colander (to use to wash veg & to drain pasta and beans) http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?fst=as:off&rh=n:1055398,n:284507,n:289761,k:colander&keywords=colander&ie=UTF8&qid=1440832745&rnid=1063498
    - Glass storage is nice, but can be expensive and heavy; this stuff is fine https://www.glad.com/food-storage/containers/
    - A can opener
    - Pot holders, or at least a couple of tea towels
    - A plastic container to carry this stuff with you to the kitchen

You can find most of that stuff at a dollar store. Sometimes Home Sense (Home Goods in the US) has quality stuff for cheap, but I'd go to Wal-Mart or Amazon for the frying pan, saucepan, and chef's knife. (Assuming you're in North America - sorry if not)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You can always make healthy + quick ancient grains in the mike for brekkie ,lunch OR Dinner,keep a huge portion in the frig + add different ingredients to them for different meals. Example+ quinoa,or amaranth with a nut butter . Nibs for brekkie= a fave) Then Quuinoa salad with mango n black beans,chunk red bell,onion,avo or flax oil for lunch or din .Baked sweet or russet Potatoes topped numerous ways.Ive nuked a soft boiled egg in a Pyrex ramekin by heating the water in it first,add the egg & zap 45 seconds.. perfect. Hope this helps a lil";"
  • tessemitchell
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    Invest in the larger microwave steamer from Pampered Chef. I use mine all the time. You can use it to steam veggies and the like, but you can also cook rice and pasta in it and the greatest thing about it is you can use it to cook ground meat (hamburger, sausage, ground turkey, etc) in the microwave and it actually browns up and tastes great. That along with a crockpot would allow you to make all kinds of stuff from taco junk, soups, chili, and lots more right in your room.