Depression & weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,
I am going through a depression which affected my appetite. Things went worse when I had meningitis. I had a 3 week treatment so I found myself taking 7 pills in the morning and many other pills during the day. I decided to stop the antidepressant as I found myself eating more pills than food. I was 92 lbs. Now, I m struggling with the side effects of stopping the antidep as I am trying to clean my body from these toxic pills. Is there anyone who is/was in a depression and is going through weight loss?

Replies

• KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I can sympathise, I'm fighting my way out of depression right now. I let weight fall off me over years and got to a really low weight. Eating isn't coming easy to me, I never have an appetite and everything I eat feels like it is forced. Sometimes I feel like exercise is the only thing keeping me sane. That's no good without food though so it's a struggle.
  • Angelike01
    Angelike01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    KeepGood wrote: »
    Hi,
    I can sympathise, I'm fighting my way out of depression right now. I let weight fall off me over years and got to a really low weight. Eating isn't coming easy to me, I never have an appetite and everything I eat feels like it is forced. Sometimes I feel like exercise is the only thing keeping me sane. That's no good without food though so it's a struggle.

My friends tell me to go to the gym as well. I do remember the days I was going there, my appetite was back and it helped me gain some weight. Its just that the meningitis put down in bed and I could barely eat an apple or nuts or just steamed veggies. I bought some pills that bring appetite back today. I think you should do the same, it will help you eat after your exercises :)
  • Angelike01
    Options
    Do not stop antidepressants without talking to your doctor. The doctor can put you on a lower dosage or switch you to one that does not hurt your appetite.
    7 pills in the morning and more throughout the day? Antidepressants?

It's the second time that I stop antidepressants. It happened to me 2 years ago and its not an easy thing. I was easily irritated and grumpy most of the time. I am feeling the same now but I know its a short term thing. It will pass. I did decrease the amount but it affected my memory as I started to have people around me say that I forget things very often. Its a nightmare believe me. Made me feel stupid.
    7 pills; 1 antidep+1 iron+1 antibiotic+4 meningitis pills in the morning. 2 meningitis pills during lunch. 2 meningitis pills+1 antibiotic+1 antidep at night. Thats the details you asked for :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    From the looks of it the majority of pills are to do with your meningitis. Why do you reagrd the antidepressants as toxic? Is it wise to just stop them without consulting your Dr?
    How tall are you?

Exercise cna be a good alternative to anti depressants and help lessen the impac of depression.
  • Angelike01
    Options
    They are toxic because they make me dumb, sleep a lot and have memory loss. I know the doctor, he will tell me to extend the duration of my treatment while I am against antidepressants. I just had pressure from family to visit him.
    I m 158 cm, I think 5inch and 2 something.
    I m planning to go to the gym starting from Monday, and yes, it will definitely lessen the impact of depression through happiness hormones that we release while exercising! I was just waiting for this meningitis to finish to go to the gym :)
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Angelike01 wrote: »
    KeepGood wrote: »
    Hi,

My friends tell me to go to the gym as well. I do remember the days I was going there, my appetite was back and it helped me gain some weight. Its just that the meningitis put down in bed and I could barely eat an apple or nuts or just steamed veggies. I bought some pills that bring appetite back today. I think you should do the same, it will help you eat after your exercises :)

Yeah the gym certainly helps get a good routine going. I felt hunger cues a while ago for the first time in years lol. I am managing to eat, it still feel like being force fed but I just keeping telling myself I have to. I cheat somewhat by drinking a lot of whole milk and pistachio nuts (I'd be finished without them), they are easy to consume and are a great calorie booster.
    They are toxic because they make me dumb, sleep a lot and have memory loss. I know the doctor, he will tell me to extend the duration of my treatment while I am against antidepressants. I just had pressure from family to visit him.
    I m planning to go to the gym starting from Monday, and yes, it will definitely lessen the impact of depression through happiness hormones that we release while exercising! I was just waiting for this meningitis to finish to go to the gym :)

I know what you mean with the effects of the anti-depressants, I felt groggy all the time when they had me on them, if anything they made me worse, they aren't a solution for everyone. Just take care to not let yourself get worse, if you think you get to a point where you do need to be medicated again for the depression, there are different types of anti-depressants you can try, another one may work better for you. That's great you are able to go to the gym again! Let your mind get lost in a pool of sweat :smile:
  • FindingMyself92
    FindingMyself92 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The lowest dose of anti-depressant was perscribed to me by my doctor and yeah, I'm with you.
    I quickly took myself off them and said no way.

I was irritable, sleeping 18hours easily, lost my appetite, and became unbearable to be around. They made me worse than my depression does. :neutral:

• Angelike01
    Options
    The lowest dose of anti-depressant was perscribed to me by my doctor and yeah, I'm with you.
    I quickly took myself off them and said no way.

I was irritable, sleeping 18hours easily, lost my appetite, and became unbearable to be around. They made me worse than my depression does. :neutral:

Exactly!! Finally someone understands me :( I was good for nothing, grumpy and super skinny. Now I m following my diet very closely and MFP helped me a lot to be honest. I gained 2 kgs so far and feel much better :)
    Antidepressants are poison!!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was sad at deaths and breakups but not like this. However whenever I eat Dr Fuhrman's gbombs diet (bitter greens collards, kale, turnip tops, watercress), beans, onions, mushrooms, beans berries and seeds I feel SHOCKINGLY happier. I wonder if its because we all starve ourselves on the crap we normally eat. Exercise makes me feel ever better. Playing at the dog park in the sun with my human and fur friends is best because I get to pet dogs while I play in the sun. Best to you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Not all antidepressants cause these symptoms. i've gone through at least 20 different meds just to settle on one that I've tried before, but this time, it works for me (Wellbutrin)....And, I don't feel stupid on these. There are 2 types of AD, energizing and relaxing ones. Even though I have horrible anxiety, Wellbutrin and energizing med, has helped immensely.

I can definitely tell you now that the combination of ADs and exercise is the holy grail. Sure, I have my moments, but it's not all day every day.

Ps...it is NEVER a good idea to quit AD meds cold turkey. I learned this from effexor. *Shudder*

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.