Protein Bar...good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Quest bars aren't great... MFP seems to love them lol.

I dunno. You ever put the cinnamon roll one in the microwave for a bit?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    or eaten a cookie dough one out of the fridge?
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Quest bar cinnamon roll
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I make room in my calories for a quest bar each day! Taste delicious, low cal and good macros! I don't see the problem with a protein bar that is nutritionally sound
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    zzk0485 wrote: »
    Every morning I've been eating those Gatorade Whey Protein bars. I love them! Are they really good for me to be eating tho for weight loss?

If you are eating them because you think they will help with weight loss, they will not. They are rather calorie dense and there are probably a ton of other options to help you get protein and eat less calories.
    If you are eating them because you love them, then the question is if you can figure if they can fit in your calories or not, and if they are worth it (i.e. what else coudl you be eating instead with the same calories). For me, no, they would nto be worth it. 350 calories can be a full meal, why eat a tiny bar instead?
    If you ask if they are a "healthy" choice because they have the currently in fashion word "protein" in their name, no, they are no more healthy than a bowl of cereal, a slice or cake or any other type of cereal bar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    they are completely irrelevant to weight management.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to up your protein intake and can't make real food, there are much better choices. If not, enjoy a chocolate croissant for the same calories. Or a cheese omelette with two slices of toast.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As someone who needs to up her calories and up her protein, bars are a lifesaver! I eat one or two meal replacement bars a day--little bit of food, lots of calories + protein boost! Hurray! \o/ Wouldn't know what I would do without bars and chocolate milk, tbh.

As for eating them when you need to lose weight: if it fits into your calories and you like them, why the heck not?! Sugar is not bad (unless you have a medical condition which forces you to lower sugar intake). Those bars are a fantastic way to get fat, carbs, and protein in a tiny, portable, package!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    zzk0485 wrote: »
    Every morning I've been eating those Gatorade Whey Protein bars. I love them! Are they really good for me to be eating tho for weight loss?

protein bars really seem to be closer to a snickers than say celery...but at least you get a fair amount of protein out of it
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Protein can be satiating and most protein bars help satisfy your sweet tooth too, so for these reasons yes they can help with weight loss.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Have a look for 60g Maxi Nutrition Promax Lean bars, I have one for morning snack occasionally and the have plenty of protein in there; very filling for 300kcal!.

Haven't got time to faf about at work so these are a great choice.